Disappointing outburst

KPV4

Even though it must be very disappointing for the team GB cyclists not to have won a medal today, I didn't think Mark Cavandish's remarks broadcast on the news this evening were appropriate :no:

Perhaps I would have been the same if I were in his place, I don't know :blush: but it just didn't seem to highlight good sportsmanship on his part :no: their strategy possibly just wasn't good enough when the rest of the field were ready for them :hmm:

Even though it must be very disappointing for the team GB cyclists not to have won a medal today, I didn't think Mark Cavandish's remarks broadcast on the news this evening were appropriate :no:

Perhaps I would have been the same if I were in his place, I don't know :blush: but it just didn't seem to highlight good sportsmanship on his part :no: their strategy possibly just wasn't good enough when the rest of the field were ready for them :hmm:

I agree furthermore isnt essentially "a Team Riding Strategy" a form of Cheating in an "individual" sporting event.

Cavendish wasnt good enough on the day simple as that..Help from his team mates (or the rest of the other teams) or not.

No offence but you do not understand cycling!! It depends on the discipline but in the Olympics they are allow to draft so team play come into in massively!! You have no chance of winning without playing as team its not cheating! The main problem was team GB did all the work for a start and let the second group break away!! To say Cavendish was not good enough was unfair he could have won the Tour de France this year seaming to be both faster and fitter than Wiggins but it was the team strategy that Wiggins would win the stages with help from Cavendish and the other team members!!

It was strategy that let us down! Not the fitness of our cyclists! So no i do not think Cavendish's comments was out of order at all!

No offence but you do not understand cycling!! It depends on the discipline but in the Olympics they are allow to draft so team play come into in massively!! You have no chance of winning without playing as team its not cheating! The main problem was team GB did all the work for a start and let the second group break away!! To say Cavendish was not good enough was unfair he could have won the Tour de France this year seaming to be both faster and fitter than Wiggins but it was the team strategy that Wiggins would win the stages with help from Cavendish and the other team members!!

It was strategy that let us down! Not the fitness of our cyclists! So no i do not think Cavendish's comments was out of order at all!

You may not think his comments were out of order but in the eyes of being sporting in my opinion they were. When asked the tv commentator "what do you know about cycling" it just shows poor sportsmanship, and a poor looser. As you rightly say it possibly wasn't the fitness aspect of the cyclists but the strategy, and that proved to be drastically wrong. I personally think he's a big head and far to big for his boots, so possibly the best result for him but I feel sorry for the other members of the team, who seem a little more humble than he is! :blink:

Edited by KPV4

when was the last time a sprinter won the tour????????

He finished 142nd and 3.5hrs behind??!?!?!??!

How could he have won?

Err this is not true sorry I think you are mixing in Chris Froome. Cavendish won more stages on the tour than wiggins and no he couldn't have won the tour as the mountains took him apart. He's not an all rounder but good on the sprints and flat stages. Chris froom could have won the tour but he wasn't fast enough on the time trials.

I tend to agree with you on some points that you have made but I do think that you are mixing up Froom with Cavendish as he was the one in the front with Wiggins.

On the tour each team started with nine riders sky soon lost one but they still had eight and they take in in turns to ride in the front also normally several teams help out at the front.

Today each team only had four riders and as Mark said as team sky had one the tore the other teems did nothing to help us today so Mark had no chance if they had used a different strategy and sent Wiggins or Froom out with the brake who knows what could have happened but that is a very risky thing to do as they tend to get overtaken in the end.

Also Mark said about the French they could have helped us as they could not win they even somehow put a track racer in there teem and that is against the rules this was said by the commentators at the beginning of the race.

I should add that Mark could have won a lot more stages on the tore but the teem did not need to win stages as wiggins was well ahead on time and they wanted to conserve energy for later on but did he complain no he was content to carry drinks back and forth for the team so please do not slag him off when you do not understand the sport.

Whether I know anything or nothing about cycling is of no consequence. What is important is to be gracious in defeat. That is called sportsmanship. No excuses. Just enjoy the occassion. Problem is greed and money. :hmm:

So do we want to wath the best ther is , or go back to amatuers and watch 3rd rate stuff

Why do us Brits always try to blame other people for our failings, our tactics weren't good enough on the day and while i'm sure that the lads gave 110% we didn't win or come anywhere close to it.

Sportspeople are supposed to be role models and to come across like a spoilt child on national daytime tv isn't really on, where is the Brit stiff upper lip and being graceful in defeat.

Simple really all the riders set off at the same time the first one back wins , or am i missing some-thing?

:stupid:

Couldn't have said it better.

If team GB couldn't have won the race without HELP FROM OTHER COUNTRYS then they ain't good enough.

Who helped the Caszi win apart from the Columbian chasing him coz he nicked his drugs :yes:

They were the best riders as they started at the same time as the others and finnished 1st and 2nd.

Did team GB honestly think anyone would help them win, did the other Counrtys take a dive to stop GB winning i doubt it. Others have said you dont understand the sport but i'm sure the other riders from the other countrys do so they must have all had there game plans which may of back fired. Its the same in other sports eg a 1500 meter runner staying back and then making his move, he might get it right or wrong. GB got it wrong IMHO

Edited by the pelt man