Does life begin at 40?

Asa Bear

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my experience lots of aches and pains , loss of fitness, loss of eye sight , poorer hearing , more visits to the docs , they lied life does not begin at 40 !!

Agree it put me on depression tablets for two years was hard work getting my life sorted, luckly for me my wife was a diamond put her through hell

I was 60 this year, the mind thinks I'm 25, the body seriously disagrees.

My old man said to me years ago, " don't grow old boy " ( he was about 70 then, and lost him at 92) unfortunately he never told me of a viable alternative

Anyway I believe that growing old is compulsory, growing up isn't.

Brian

I am 64, had both knee caps surgically removed and one knee totally replaced. In the last year I have climbed Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis.

Life is about the state of your mind. Do not give in to age. Go out kicking and screaming.

I was 68 yesterday. I used to think life began to end at 40 and still do. If you manage the second half of your life well you will find that although your reflexes deteriorate you still get more than enough time to do everything because you no longer try to be first.

I had cancer 10 years ago, that was my first surgical procedure since I was 8, since then I've had general anaesthetic procedures twice, local 7 times. II think you become more fatalistic as you age and take all the trials in your stride.

It's very difficult to advise but can only say take it in your stride. I've become much more self confident since hitting 40, started my own business at 61 and my children go from 17 to 37. I've divorced once and had several long term relationships in between and my only regret is I never had one with a redhead, don't know why.

Don't worry about it there's nothing to worry about, if your number comes up you're stuffed but manage your life to the best of your ability, it's the most precious thing you have.

On the road through life I have honestly never found any better advice than contained in Laz Buhrmann's "wear sunscreen". I doubt I have understood it all yet.

A good friend regularly told me that life is good if you can just get enough of it.

Not sure if he got enough cos his time came early.

Yes, the 40s are great. Reaching 60 is a problem...

One thing I'm glad about is that my two children were adults when I reached the age of 41, but now I see men in their forties relishing the idea of having children. I know finances are a huge part of it, but I don't envy them having to cope with teenagers and all their traumas when they're in their 50s and in some cases 60s.

It would be good to go back to my twenties with the knowledge and life experience I have now--if only to hang on to the massive amounts of money I've frittered away!

blimey have I stumbled into the warm up for grumpy old men? Im 45 have never felt better and have a wife due to give birth v soon. Im in top health, have the first job I actually look forward to going in to and dont look on being 45 as a major cause fod general misery, myopia or sitting like I am counting the days til Im measured for a box. And for those who say its only a matter of time I had my mot at the docs and its all good :-)

blimey have I stumbled into the warm up for grumpy old men? Im 45 have never felt better and have a wife due to give birth v soon. Im in top health, have the first job I actually look forward to going in to and dont look on being 45 as a major cause fod general misery, myopia or sitting like I am counting the days til Im measured for a box. And for those who say its only a matter of time I had my mot at the docs and its all good :-)

enjoying life i think makes you live longer