barley cut and disc in a week

Tod

the barley was cut last friday on my permission and birds were building, finished work early today to have a bash and when i got there the dreaded disc had been over it, not a bird in site :( , set up anyway and shot half a dozen with a good left and right ,also had a suicidal magpie, was better than sitting at work. Went out with Swisstony on Sunday morning after lamping but only shot a dozen, just no birds about in Yorkshire at the minute, but thats shooting.

the barley was cut last friday on my permission and birds were building, finished work early today to have a bash and when i got there the dreaded disc had been over it, not a bird in site :( , set up anyway and shot half a dozen with a good left and right ,also had a suicidal magpie, was better than sitting at work. Went out with Swisstony on Sunday morning after lamping but only shot a dozen, just no birds about in Yorkshire at the minute, but thats shooting.

struggling up here in hull at the moment pal. birds not in any sort of numbers really. on a positive the barley stubble that's been disced could well be rape this coming year so keep an eye on it :good:

struggling up here in hull at the moment pal. birds not in any sort of numbers really. on a positive the barley stubble that's been disced could well be rape this coming year so keep an eye on it :good:

it is winter rape next fella, september when it goes in, hopefully get some good days.

plenty in north yorks i have shot over 800 in 2 weeks

little farm i shoot nr peterborough was cut and disced in a day plus he dont like me shooting standing crops i have to just chuckle to myself luckly theres plenty of ferreting come winter so swings and round abouts then theres another farm the stubbles been there 3 weeks now just started cutting wheat and dont look like theres a hurry to bring in the straw let alone disc all good

Edited by pboro shot

remember that fox with lucky center parting then we saw him again at 24 hr garage buying a lottery ticket lol

My thoughts on discing after combining are that the birds are forced to find the fields which have seed still on them, so it concentrates the birds on certain fields especially the one's that are still boggy and difficult to work on. These tend to be in the river/ stream valleys which also have trees and woods and will normally have a flightlne running close by. Just a thought.

was going to put the decoys on the rape stubble because i saw a few hundred lift off one of the fields when i had a drive round on the quad but had no cartridges left because i used them all on the rabbits, got some more the other day, got there and they had already had the discs over it, couldnt see a bird so i left the decoys and went and shot some more rabbits

Its a pain for shooting them but alot of us farmers are trying to get things done while we can, who knows what the weather will do next! We started drilling a field today that was combined yesterday! Hopefully i can get out on some wheat stubble that is going to be baled, That way we dont rip it up so fast!

Its a pain for shooting them but alot of us farmers are trying to get things done while we can, who knows what the weather will do next! We started drilling a field today that was combined yesterday! Hopefully i can get out on some wheat stubble that is going to be baled, That way we dont rip it up so fast!

tell me about we sre waiting on a couple of barley feilds to be cut but the weather has been rubbish for the last 2weeks and looks to continue up here. oh seasons where have you gone!!!

Field of rape cut last Friday, discs were on it Saturday evening and finished it off Sunday morning. Managed a few hours on it before the tractor got on it on Saturday night, not any real numbers, but those that came in were decoying nicely, left when the tractor came and ended up with 23. Went back on the Sunday morning as we where told only half a field got done the night before, set up for 8am and had 16 in the bag when the tractor came in about 11ish. Shame really as the numbers would have built nicely, but obviously the farmers have to get the job done while the weathers as it is.