Gobfish

Is it me? Am I the only one fed up with finding empty cartridge cases chucked down where they were fired. Every year I pick up three or four carrier bags full of empty cases and debris around one of the farms where I shoot. I went out today and found two fresh nests of em. Perhaps I'm getting old and tetchy but I'm P'd off with picking up somebody else's rubbish. One of the little caches even had the empty box and a coke tin to go with the 50 odd cases laying there. The farmer had the hump with it all a few years ago and was trying to find out who was responsible but never did, I pick them up for fear of being tarred with it and getting turfed off with everyone else when the farmer finally blows his top. I rarely see anyone else out there because I tend to be out shooting when everyone else is at work and vice versa. And yes I know you're all going to say that you are goody two shoes and always take them home ........... I need to calm down, petty it may be but......... oh well where's the rum, is the sun over the yard arm yet

I have to my certain knowledge never left even one of the many thousands of cartridges I have fired whilst decoying. It's not a question of you being...'goody two shoes'... it's a matter of manners and etiquette.

It may be a chore but you have to find out who it is who is leaving the debris and let the farmer know.

I have to my certain knowledge never left even one of the many thousands of cartridges I have fired whilst decoying. It's not a question of you being...'goody two shoes'... it's a matter of manners and etiquette.

It may be a chore but you have to find out who it is who is leaving the debris and let the farmer know.

I don't leave cases either, or anything for that matter........ er actually ...... I do chuck the odd tea bag.

Been on this particular farm 5 years now, shoot it at least once a week only ever seen two other shooters there, most other people have normal jobs and work normal hours

Only problem we had with spent cartridges was with non permission guns quite some years ago . My wife's Uncle had a hell of a job they'd just turn up kept on insisting it wasn't his land when he went down why he never just phoned the police I'll never know.

Never tidied anything .

John.

there was a father and son that started shooting on a couple of the farms that i shoot on and the mess they made was terrible. in one park i picked up empty shells till my pockets could hold no more and there was still scores of emptys laying all over the place with them shooting rabbits out of a disco with semi auto shotguns. i phoned the farmers and let them know what i had found and let them know that it wasnt any of us local boys. one of the farmers was quite mad because his silage mower has metal detectors on it and shuts down when it comes across metal e.g fence wire etc, and sure enough it shut down quite a few times the following summer because of spent shells. funny enough i havnt seen the father son duo this neck of the woods for a while :good:

Edited by aister

If you know all of the people that have permission then you need to have a meeting to find out what brand of cartridges they use this will at least narrow down the culprits are the do as will did on our syndicate fine any body £1 each for every cartridge case they leave behind ! I'll guarantee it want be long before you'll have a job to find one :good:

Oh and its just not you its one of my biggest bug-bears ever , Hold hard ! maybe it is an age thing ???

Edited by gamekeeper1960

The amount of shooting related detritus some folk leave behind is amazing, now I am not talking individuals but syndicates. I know of a few farms were the shooting has changed hands, the amount of rubbish is amazing, empty plastic feed sacks, blue plastic feeders (my real hate), the old rusted steel ones the plastic ones replaced, baler twine, old sewelling, plastic drums cut in half and left as drinkers, old redundant release pens, tin sheets etc etc. Over the years a lot goes onto a shoot, often very little is taken away again.

Edited by scolopax

I totally agree with you on this one and it isn't age as I am a young gun. When I come across piles its so frustrating. No one is expected to lift them all and I know myself when you empty both barrels and reload as quickly as possible to get that other pigeon that just flew over your head while shooting rough the ejectors are amazing at making empty shells vanish amongst the long grass. When I am decoying I have a net bag with a draw string and I throw all my shells into that. Litter in the countryside is not a pleasant site and in rivers its even worse!!

My local cartridge supplier looks at me like I'm crazy when I ask what COLOUR a cartridge is..... Since starting to use a Semi-Auto I prefer RED because they are easier to find in grass or ditches when the gun spits them alll over the place! The old Clear Pigeon weren't bad but the new 'Black' ones are terribly hard to locate and I just hate to leave any behind :)

ive been using black clear pigeons in a semi, only fired a few as the guns not working right but finding them is a pig

i cant see why anyone would not pick their carts up, it shows no respect to the land owner... ive wandered round and seen a few plas-wads where others have shot and picked them up as well