Hypathetical question - Asking personal details.

Frenchieboy

I would like to put a hypathetical(sp) question to members.

If you were asked ny a new member on the forum (Who hadn't put anything on his profile) to take him out shooting to show him what it is all about "to see if the sport was for him or not" but doesn't yet have either a SGC or FAC how would you go about asking them if they were barred from holding or using a gun (Maybe because of criminal convictions or whatever other reason) without offending them?

I'm all up for a bit of banter etc but I try not to take or let things get to a personal level and embarrass other people or myself by asking personal questions.

Edited by Frenchieboy

If It were me, i would asked to meet up at a clay ground or simalar with a few of your buddy's,(not your shoot at the quarry) then you can suss the chap out and get a measure of him face to face,find out a little more, if your not happy with the first meet then try again week after or whenever your next shoot is at said clay ground.

If It were me, i would asked to meet up at a clay ground or simalar with a few of your buddy's,(not your shoot at the quarry) then you can suss the chap out and get a measure of him face to face,find out a little more, if your not happy with the first meet then try again week after or whenever your next shoot is at said clay ground.

That's the sort of lines that I was thinking on if I were to be put in that position. Thanks for the replies guys, I realise that there are some things that you need to know if you are ever put in this position but sometimes out of politeness you don't want to ask too many questions and look like you are being too nosey or personal.

Make it a basic T and C of you doing it, post it publicly in your profile that you expect forum members you take out to either have an established PW rep and perhaps know a few members personally, or be prepared to be asked some awkward questions because after all they're asking you to lend them loaded firearms!

If anyone has a problem with that I suggest they Do One!

EDIT: Sunday Morning Fingers

Edited by Thunderbird

If you were asked ny a new member on the forum (Who hadn't put anything on his profile) to take him out shooting to show him what it is all about "to see if the sport was for him or not" but doesn't yet have either a SGC or FAC how would you go about asking them if they were barred from holding or using a gun (Maybe because of criminal convictions or whatever other reason) without offending them?

I'm all up for a bit of banter etc but I try not to take or let things get to a personal level and embarrass other people or myself by asking personal questions.

It’s all ways gone wrong in the past, pages of different opinions then people getting upset (you) and the thread gets locked!

People hide there identities on here for good reason and from what I have seen It takes a while to build up some form of trust with meetings at events etc.

You would not ask some one in the street the same question and you can see there face! So why ask a person who you don’t know from Adam.

My breakfast is ready then I am off shooting which if for more productive than typing any more of a reply (hypothetically speaking)

TEH

It’s all ways gone wrong in the past, pages of different opinions then people getting upset (you) and the thread gets locked!

People hide there identities on here for good reason and from what I have seen It takes a while to build up some form of trust with meetings at events etc.

You would not ask some one in the street the same question and you can see there face! So why ask a person who you don’t know from Adam.

My breakfast is ready then I am off shooting which if for more productive than typing any more of a reply (hypothetically speaking)

TEH

erm..because you are about to trust them onto your permission and probably with a firearm.....I have no problems asking a few questions before I take people out ....

Well I think that for rifle club guest days it's required that they sign something to say that they aren't a prohibited person (i.e not had a long enough prison sentence).

Personally if someone asked me to sign something before taking me out shooting, I'd be surprised but I can't say I'd have an issue with it.

After all, just confirming that you've not been caught being a criminal in some way is not exactly asking much, if someone has a problem with signing that I'd be thinking they were dodgy in some way.

i wouldn't take someone out hunting that i did not personally know well or returning a favour for a visit on their ground etc. the acception to this would be one of my wildfowling clubs has a mentoring requirement and my name is on the list for new members, havent an issue with that and i have also taken clients out stalking in the past but as they are the one with the gun i am only there to show them the ground, find the quarry and make sure they dont do anything daft.

One thing you should always consider is antis can do this sort of thing to gather false evidence or propoganda- don't laugh its happened previously! i have nothing to hide but the facts often get twisted into pure lies

Turning this a little bit off topic but still on the same lines. What do you think its like to be the secretary of a club? You get all sorts of people contacting you about joining and you can't just tell them no because the club has bills to pay and needs members.

Its difficult but you soon develop an instinct. I have to say though over the years there were a few bozos. But you can't mess about, these days you can bounce any enquiry off your FEO if you explain what the story is they should be helpful. If there is a problem they won't tell you what it is but they will tell you they don't think its a good idea

Edited by Vince Green

Ask whatever questions you want to ask.I always ask for the sgc and insurance to be shown before i will let them shoot if it is the first time i meet them.I would not let anyone shoot on my perms without insurance they can go to a clay shooting range to do that.

I take a few people out and i do not think i have offended anyone by asking a few questions.

Most clay grounds have a form they have to sign stating they are not a prohibited person, and give name address etc you could always ask for some form of ID like driving licence or passport.

One here: http://www.basc.org.uk/objects_store/registration_form_1341566979899.doc

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

The registration form will not be processed unless the declarations below have been ticked and the form signed and dated.

q I declare that I am not a prohibited person under the provisions of section 21 of the Firearms Act of 1968 (a note of the provisions of this Act follows).

Any person who has been sentenced to a term of imprisonment or youth custody for a period of more than three months but less than three years is subject to a five year prohibition from having a firearm or ammunition in his possession. A person who has been sentenced to a term of imprisonment or youth custody for a period in excess of three years is prohibited for life. This prohibition is absolute and a prohibited person may not have access to any firearm or ammunition, including air weapons.

I have had an application for a firearm or shotgun refused by the police or have had a certificate revoked or partially revoked q YES

q NO

Signed:

Dated:

Edited by HDAV

Was wondering the same question question myself, a while ago. The answers that have been given were on the same lines of what I was thinking, the most resonable one appears to be a meeting in a neuteral enviroment like a cafe or pub and ask the relevent questions. I like the form idea as could possably see what they are like from their reactions, and you may want to meet them more than once.

Only a very few people I know actually know that I shoot, and like to keep it that way, don't want some blabber mouth spouting that I offered to take them shooting and spread it all over the place that I shoot.

Seeing a number of threads on here where some have accepted a days invitation as permission to shoot any time hey want. I would get them to sign a form its a one of invitation and not a permission to come and go as they please.

I would not even consider taking somebody out under those circumstances. sounds like a setup, just say no

I am aware of a man who attended a shooting club as a prospective/interested member , allowed to watch etc , several members let him a shoot under their supervision after several weeks attending he gained some trust and whilst members were in the clubhouse he stole a firearm/ammunition from the boot of a car .

I am aware of a man who attended a shooting club as a prospective/interested member , allowed to watch etc , several members let him a shoot under their supervision after several weeks attending he gained some trust and whilst members were in the clubhouse he stole a firearm/ammunition from the boot of a car .

Several years ago Channel 4 did an undercover documentary where a journalist joined a gun club so that he could film undercover. There was no real journalistic point to it they just wanted to make shooters look as bad as they possibly could.

Anyway, he joined using a ficticious name. Because of that I think it could be easily argued that he was never an actual member of the club meaning that at no time was his possession of any of the firearms and ammunition actually lawful. He also stole ammunition and illegaly imported explosives (and a gun I think) from France.

Nothing was ever done, of course. He should have been locked up for a very long time and anyone else involved in thr programme should have been for conspiracy.

J.