Anybody got the fire going yet? Sticked up on fuel?

hedd-wyn

The pine I am using is the stuff you see on back of trucks stacked acrossways and about 7ft long - it goes to a fence company near me and it get's cut length wise then to length and offcuts are anything from 2" to foot long - I have been burning it now for years - £5 a ton when I started and so far all I have had out of chimney is half a bucket of soot - my fires have always burnt clean and chimney is clay 8" diam.

It also comes out before they treat wood and I stack it under cover for 12 month's

Dave

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AckAck the pitch pine and cherry wood takes me back to being a child. My grandfather used to burn it on a log burner in his greenhouses with pipes running round them. Nowt like the smell of pitch pine even when your splitting it mmmmm. You lucky man, apple wood and part smell nice too.

Figgy

Man after my own heart. There was a big Piranha pine window sill amongst it as well but I've not got the heart to burn that. I'll probably try and carve a fish out of it and then burn it when I fail miserably.

It's Hawthorn that I'm after. A mate of mine that does arb work on the railway was meant to be dropping me a load about 6 months past but unless it's a very small one that I've not noticed he has still yet to come good. I reckon thorn is right up there for evocative smells. Reminds me of the burn ups of my childhood when the old man was helping grub out hedgerows. I loved the smell it left on my clothes so much I'd try and get into bed fully clothed. Mum used to go spare.

Been splitting on and off through the summer and got about 3/4 of our log store (a curtainside 40ft trailer) filled to the rafters. Reckon that will do us through till Feb. It would do the whole winter if "some people" didn't keep opening the windows when it gets too hot instead of controlling the logburners properly :sad1:

What do you reckon that costs you to run? Been considering one for a new build be keep hearing tales of huge electric bills....

We've done a new build and with all the insulation and under floor heating in a liquid screed it costs us about £1500 ayear (total cost of our electric) and its on 24/7, and i use a electric welder and alot of other power tools through the year

I haven't lit mine yet. Been tempted a couple of times but it's just not quite cold enough!

I keep my wood in an old marley garage that's split lengthways down the middle by a picket fence and the floor is covered in pallets to keep the air flowing. I burn one side a year and I fill the empty side as soon as the winter is over so it gets two summers to dry out. I'm not sure how much I burn, maybe 10-12m3 per year?

I've just bought an old Kubota tractor and a saw bench to cut the next filling. Should be easier than a chainsaw.

just thought, got the telly mounted on the chimney breast, will it matter?

Do you still have them wooden ones in Norfolk Graham?

I haven't lit mine yet. Been tempted a couple of times but it's just not quite cold enough!

I went out with the dogs underdressed in the hope of finding an excuse for sparking up but got in and the house was still baking in the afterglow of a beautiful autumn day. I shall wait also!

I've just bought an old Kubota tractor and a saw bench to cut the next filling. Should be easier than a chainsaw.

I was toying with this idea myself, or a diesel stationary engine powering a saw bench. But I had a little look, and tractors and saw benches are pretty pricey, so I'd have to saw and burn a lot of wood to make it worthwhile. Can I ask roughly what you paid for tractor & saw bench? (PM if you'd rather, or ignore me, of course!)

ive swept both chimneys today and the log burner and open fire are now crackling away.

i burn logs on the open fire (got a mix of pretty much everything) and i burn 3"x3" stumps from a local factory in the log burner .

we go through frightening amounts of wood and even with a pretty good sized wood store i still need to top up.

id love to be able to run radiators from the log burner but i wouldnt know where to start .