What's your pension plan in these uncertain times ?

Catweazle

Given the possibility of financial upheaval, banks going bust, pension funds being plundered by a desperate government etc. etc., what are your plans for old age ?

Are you leaving it to chance ? Gambling that the £ will survive intact ?

I'm interested to hear creative ideas, even gold bars under the bed is surely safer than a savings account.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy another property and let it out if you don't already have a good pension.

That's certainly an idea, although some people have come unstuck in the past when interest rates and rental hasn't moved together. If there was a big house price crash you could be stuffed, and many believe that houses are vastly overpriced at present.

well if my pension don't cut it i plan to break as many laws as phyically possible rob a few dozen banks live in brazil until i am skint come home, hand myself in an live in an air conditioned room with sky tv and a play station for the rest of my days at her majesties pleasure ;o)

I have a property in Spain, it will be paid for before I'm 60, options will then depend on my finacial position then, its value, and whether I actually want to retire at that point.

Either I sell it/rent it for an income, or live in it and enjoy life in the sun.

Weak I kniw but the best I have at the moment. I am desperately trying to get back on a level keel, repair my credit worthiness and then look to buy more buy-to-lets with a view to someone else paying off the mortgage and leaving me an adequate rental based income when needed.

Investing in decent UK businesses (my own included) that develop innovative products within science and biotechnology. At least that way my cash is doing some good. What's the point in investing abroad and then complaining that this country has no industry. Also a bit of buy to let, land, small quarry. And i don't expect to go past 75.

I have four defined contribution schemes going from current and previous employers. They go up, they go down, they go up, they go down. I am currently contributing very little (5%) at the moment concentrating instead in paying off mortgage and school fees. Doubt if pension plans will pay much when I come to retire. Hope to have a reasonably priced house that I can downsize from and live on the freed up equity. Not confident I will be well off though. Not sure I have any options at the moment.

Edited by AVB

Surely if you can afford it then contributing to a scheme makes some sense. What with the tax breaks. Up to a limit (is it £150K at the moment?) you get tax relief so so for every £1 contributed you might only pay 50p. That's 50p of free money.

cashed mine in...started too late....now got 4k in the bank earning interest

mikky

Looking to do simular or take it early as mines not worth the paper its written on, Got a few months before I can see what the take it early is but estimated at £70 a month :(

Edited by BerettaSV10

Like others I bought to let. Currently have the Scums living there who haven't paid rent for 4 months and we're awaiting their eviction, doing everything by the book.

Thank God we took out a good rental insurance, no excess, pays all rent due plus legal fees to get them out plus half rent for 3 months until re-let.

Just praying they don't trash the place before leaving, it's brand new, for God's sake.

The return's better then any savings account but not without stress........

2 pensions - a sipp and a company pension. Currently contribute 25% of my salary into my pension. We have a buy to let and may increase the buy to let's once mortgage is paid off on main residence or I may do an ISA every year for the wife and me.

I believe when I get to state retirement age there will either be no state pension or it'll be means tested.

That's certainly an idea, although some people have come unstuck in the past when interest rates and rental hasn't moved together. If there was a big house price crash you could be stuffed, and many believe that houses are vastly overpriced at present.

Only an issue if you owe money on it, if you buy outright then you have an asset that can go down but it will still be there. We've one paid off so rental money just goes in a pot when that's full enough we will buy another. then balance our retirement with whether we keep them or sell and live off the equity. At the moment rather than just pay into a pension plan and let someone manage it I've got control and returns are looking far better than people I know who get a statement each year to tell them how much less they will get. And the best bit we haven't had to hide in wet old Wales

I just had a review, arrrgghhhhh well it might pay for my TV licence when I retire lol, to bolster it my advisor reckons either stick a lump sum of £30,000 in or up payments to nearly £400 a month.

Im considering the buy to let way forward as well

Alan

Edited by Alanl50

I've just come into some watches that I need to 'move on' :innocent:

Seriously though - I have company pension and never opted out of SERPS plus my wifes a clever girl and is pensioned up very well (since she was 17 yrs old).

This plus our house still has £100k of equity (even now) and will be paid for when we are both 48 yrs old.

Plan is 9 months here and 3 months in the sun when we reach retirement :good: