Adams first fox

cockercas

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You carnt judge range in a pic. You don't need to judge how far a fox is at 400m is either if you know the tree behind it is 500m and the fox is closer to it than you. If we drive around my permission I can tell you that the hedge on the right thru the gate is 462m from the track, the first wood is 312m from the gate second wood is 448m from the gate, 312m from the muck heap to the wood and the dyke west of the muck heap is 267m. So if I come across a fox half way between me the gate and the hedge is about 230m. Not rocket science is it?. You guys really need a trip to the opticians because you can ID foxes @400m. You can also roughly judge range by the size of the fox in relation to the cross hairs. Not as accurate but close enough for shooting. You do need abit of experience to do it tho its what I use on un familiar ground. I think you guys need to get off this thread now and go out and actually shoot a fox.

You carnt judge range in a pic. You don't need to judge how far a fox is at 400m is either if you know the tree behind it is 500m and the fox is closer to it than you. If we drive around my permission I can tell you that the hedge on the right thru the gate is 462m from the track, the first wood is 312m from the gate second wood is 448m from the gate, 312m from the muck heap to the wood and the dyke west of the muck heap is 267m. So if I come across a fox half way between me the gate and the hedge is about 230m. Not rocket science is it?. You guys really need a trip to the opticians because you can ID foxes @400m. You can also roughly judge range by the size of the fox in relation to the cross hairs. Not as accurate but close enough for shooting. You do need abit of experience to do it tho its what I use on un familiar ground. I think you guys need to get off this thread now and go out and actually shoot a fox.

I wish there was a like button!

I have been out with dempy lamping and i can honestly say he is the best rifle shot ive had the pleasure to shoot with, i have seen him hit foxes at 315 yards ( i couldnt believe it so i measured it myself!!!) i have seen him shoot fox's that are on the run and he even had the cheek to ask me what eye i wanted him to put the bullet in on a fox at 120 yards, It was the left by the way and he hit it (Jammy sod!!!) Ive only been foxing for 5 years and i'm happy to hit one at 200yds with my outfit i should be able to reach further than that but lack the ability!!!

Edited by truckboy1

Oh and to answer the bit about shooting foxes on the run. There rearly running at right angles and 3000fps+ dosent need much lead. If you have never done it before you will Probably miss infront. Aim under its nose and pull the trigger. Its not something you can do off a pod either.

Oh and to answer the bit about shooting foxes on the run. There rearly running at right angles and 3000fps+ dosent need much lead. If you have never done it before you will Probably miss infront. Aim under its nose and pull the trigger. Its not something you can do off a pod either.

I just did a quick calculation and it's true, the lead isn't as much as I imagined it might be.

For a fox trotting at 10mph

10mph = 14.6fps

Flight time of 55grn .223 to target at 250yds = 0.287s

0.297 x 14.6 = 4.2 feet .