Job has been outsourced - how to handle notice period?

Mikaveli

The company I work for decided to outsource my department... To cut a long story short, I could have transferred to the new company - but it wouldn't have included any form of pay-rise, but would have increased my commute by 18 hours a week!

Instead, I made the decision to resign and look for work elsewhere. My notice period is 3 months - thankfully I've only got a few weeks left. Unfortunately, the company is being increasing ****ty to me - expecting 'free' overtime to catch up on work the outsourcer's aren't delivering on time and lumbering me with any crappy / difficult task they can. :(

To rub salt in the wound, I'm also expected to train them how to do my job - and they've had loads of formal training courses to get them up to speed. The company didn't bother giving me (or my colleagues) any training.

How would you guys handle it? I still want to be fairly professional about things and get a good reference etc., but at the same time, I don't really want to let the company take advantage of me. ???

Edited by Mikaveli

Id just do my hours/work that Im paid for, then go home.

I'm pretty much doing that. One thing that really grinds me is that I'm supposed to 'transfer' all my knowledge to the new company. I've worked hard, for years, to learn my role and the related areas around it - the company hasn't bothered to help with that for us - but is giving the outsource company everything on a plate. It feels like digging your own grave.

I'm also being constantly hounded and pressured to get work done in unrealistic time-scales, purely because the haven't planned / allocated enough resources. The new company must be laughing, because any **** job they're given, they hand it to me claiming they don't know how to do it yet...

...really struggling to not tell them where to go and just walk out.

Streuth Mikaveli that must be one crappy company you work for. Do you have a job description and what does your contract say re hours of work location etc.

If you do then work to what they state. Any adverse reaction from the company and you may be able to get legal redress for breech of contract.

As of the 31st after 50 years I RETIRE YIPEEEEEE I am a quality control manager in an electronics company, no replacement has been looked for(yet) so I am expected to teach my subordinate management things. Stuff that its over her level of competance. Wonderful continuity hey??

Edit = typo

Edited by Sha Bu Le

Unfortunatley, I suspect that they have you by the googlies as your contract will probably have a general clause that says "and any other duty as reasonably required by the company" refusing a reasonable request could lead to discaplinary action, loss of job and a reference that states you were dismissed.

Unfortunatley, I suspect that they have you by the googlies as your contract will probably have a general clause that says "and any other duty as reasonably required by the company" refusing a reasonable request could lead to discaplinary action, loss of job and a reference that states you were dismissed.

Loss of job ... classic.

I shouldn`t think that a company that is giving your job to someone else hasn`t got your interests at heart so i can`t see too much of a reference coming out of this company.

Guest cookoff013

i had this with a job once, one job i had was to clean my MDir car. it was really funny. after the first few times of cleaning his car the novelty wore off. Then he was presented with the labour cost and how much it had actually cost his company. it had halted 2 laborotory throughput and cost him 2 days labour to get up and running again every time he wanted his car cleaned.

strange it was never requested again.

There is one thing you can do, go off sick. The company has put you in an uncomfortable possition,not really what I would call "duty of care" tiwards there emplyees. Leaving or not,you are still an employee

!!! Have the rest of time off sick, not allot they.can do. Any intimidation from them would not look very good for a claim against the comany.

It's a really tough time, it happened to us some 6 years back. I understand the resentment in training others to take your job, remember one thing though, the person or people you are training are just doing a job the same as you and I so it's not their fault you're losing your job.

My advice would be to do everything expected knowledge transfer wise, for as many hours as you are contracted to work then leave for the day; If you need the extra money and willing to do the overtime, explain that you're happy to work the extra hours but not free of charge. Do it to your best ability as I believe it's never a good idea to burn bridges. I've seen people who left here be called back at a later stage, some didn't want to come back but others were thankful. Like you said, you want a good reference so since you are going to be there anyway you may as well go with the flow.

Cos

Edited by Cosd

I would work to rule as simple as that or do what a few people did when we had redundancies three years ago and go off sick, but as has been suggested don't burn your bridges we called back approximately 40% of ex employees when things picked up again and they were only to happy to come back those which caused a fuss kicked and screamed never got a look in.........

There is one thing you can do, go off sick. The company has put you in an uncomfortable possition,not really what I would call "duty of care" tiwards there emplyees. Leaving or not,you are still an employee

!!! Have the rest of time off sick, not allot they.can do. Any intimidation from them would not look very good for a claim against the comany.

I'm resisting the temptation to take any time off sick - so far my sickness record is 100% - I've never taken time off sick from the company. ...even when I got signed off for two weeks with back pain, I still came to work because we were so busy.

Other people have been taking time off sick - I haven't seen one guy in my team for weeks!

I would work to rule as simple as that or do what a few people did when we had redundancies three years ago and go off sick, but as has been suggested don't burn your bridges we called back approximately 40% of ex employees when things picked up again and they were only to happy to come back those which caused a fuss kicked and screamed never got a look in.........

If it was a redundancy situation I'd feel a lot different.

In our case, our jobs have just been essentially 'sold' to another company - even though our last 2 years have been the most successful.

The whole thing is stinking politics - our director wants a third-party to blame for any of his decisions - if anything isn't successful, doesn't work or it takes longer than expected (usually because they changed directions half way through a project...).

I'm resisting the temptation to take any time off sick - so far my sickness record is 100% - I've never taken time off sick from the company. ...even when I got signed off for two weeks with back pain, I still came to work because we were so busy.

Other people have been taking time off sick - I haven't seen one guy in my team for weeks!

In my brutally honest opinion... You need to wipe MUG off you're forehead, and grow a pair!

In my brutally honest opinion... You need to wipe MUG off you're forehead, and grow a pair!

Maybe. :unsure: That's kinda the reason for the post on here - I'm looking for advice on a reasonable line to take - somewhere between being a mug and being a complete ******** about things. :good:

Knowledge is power.

Pass on the basics as you probably have to. But keep a few vital pieces of 'tricks of the trade' type information firmly to yourself.

Work only the hours your paid for, if work is backing up that's not your problem, you can't train new staff and be expected to maintain your usual output.

However as said already don't burn bridges, as most industries are a 'small world'. I was made redundant from my first job, but got a phone call 6 months later telling me of a job with one of their suppliers. The MD had told my ex foreman to phone me!

Knowledge is power.

Pass on the basics as you probably have to. But keep a few vital pieces of 'tricks of the trade' type information firmly to yourself.

Work only the hours your paid for, if work is backing up that's not your problem, you can't train new staff and be expected to maintain your usual output.

However as said already don't burn bridges, as most industries are a 'small world'. I was made redundant from my first job, but got a phone call 6 months later telling me of a job with one of their suppliers. The MD had told my ex foreman to phone me!

I think that's kinda my problem - they've heaped on the work / projects while everything is being transferred. It's taken weeks to train some of them to do a job I could do in a day, so the business is piling on the pressure to compensate.

I've got a really good relationship with our customers and suppliers and have even got a few job offers after they heard I was going. Luckily, my role transcends the industry the company is in, so it shouldn't be too small a world for me.

I really can't be bothered with this company any more though. *******!