best cartridge for pheasants

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found sticking to a single type of cartridge helps consistency and I use no 6 shot in Eley VIP 30/32gs. I am sure another cartridge like 'Black Gold' is equally good but I've shot VIP's since I started and its a confidence thing - I know they work for me. So - choose one and practice 30 gms is a good weight of shot 5/6. 5's allow for the odd duck when you are out too.

Edited by Kes

Fiocchi Golden Pheasant in 5s or 6s if you want a top end cartridge.

The PL (Pheasant Load) is a cost effective alternative for the budget consious.

Both loads are available in Plastic and Fibre wad, but Fibre is a better idea as many game shoots frown on, or do not allow plastic wads.

webber

I have found sticking to a single type of cartridge helps consistency and I use no 6 shot in Eley VIP 30/32gs. I am sure another cartridge like 'Black Gold' is equally good but I've shot VIP's since I started and its a confidence thing - I know they work for me. So - choose one and practice 30 gms is a good weight of shot 5/6. 5's allow for the odd duck when you are out too.

But he will be using non toxic for the duck :yp:

Guest cookoff013

Clear pigeon 30gram 6's do all my pigeon and pheasant ! But for ducks I go to a 4 or 5 !

certainly when using steel, go up atleast a few shotsizes. i`m sure a sportsman like your self wouldnt advertise that lead is used on duck.

Whatever takes your fancy, knocking them down depends on your ability.

My good friend was loading for one of the country`s top game shots last week. He shot 260 partridges for 564 shots, most birds 50 yds and more. He was shooting 28gram no 6, gun choked improved cylinder and 1/4