starting problems

scimitar

The last few days my car (diesel) wont start on a cold morning. But leave it until later in the day it starts no bother. Battery is brand new and been tested. In the mornings I have to jump start it and it kicks over straight away. It just seems like I need a bit extra power to start on cold days.

If it was glow plugs it wouldn't jump start, or at least you would need to turn it over a fair bit and it would start in a cloud of white smoke. Though the battery has been checked it might be worth checking it again and the earth

I thought being compression ignition it still would start on a bump ? Maybe I'm wrong ???

Edited by mpk

correct me if im wrong but if it has a DPA type pump (round not box like a simms) if you press the throttle down on a cold start it will cancel out the excess fuel on the fuel rack...failing that it is as the other posts say, poor battery (too small for the job) glow plugs,or not waiting for the heater relay to go out

what car is it ?

depends if he means towing or from jump leads, you will start them when its cold by towing as you will generate heat, but the glow plugs are needed to warm things when its cold or they are slow to start. The better compression the less they need to turn over before starting, my truck will start all summer without any but come winter you have to turn it over for 20 seconds to get it to go if even one has failed. Then if the battery isn't tip top it won't manage that in cold weather. we almost need a little more information in the first post, if it goes from jump leads immediately then its unlikely to be glow plugs but if towed it could be

How old in the engine oil, had this a while ago when I forgot to change the oil in the disco as it had been stood for a long period of time.

The oil was old and it the cold was too think to turnover by itself, it would jump start no problem.

I drained the oil and replaced the filter and never had an issue again.

its a power drain then not glow plugs something is meaning its not turning it over fast enough on the existing battery. Its worth checking the earths and if that doesn't help I'd try another battery, not that I don't believe them but the jump lead bit shows everything else works

I've just had to buy a new battery for my Disco TD5. It wouldn't start on Saturday, very frosty morning and Wednesday in the snow too. Other mornings with a higher ambient temperature it's been fine. Checked the voltage at 12.5 volts and when running it was 14.5 volts which would seem good. The key element is the CCA charge and that's reduced when it's cold and a big five cylinder diesel lump needs a lot of ooomph in the battery to turn it over. I purchased a new battery and it's been fine, although the mornings since have been milder.

I reckon that mine was the original Delphi battery and if so it's given good service over the last ten years.

What car is it? could be valve clearences meaning compression a bit low first thing on a cold morning if they are tight, I had this on a 106 deisel a few years ago,after the morning first start it would be fine all day until the next morning,it would go but you had to wind at it for ages, did the shims on the exhaust valves (all too tight) and it was fine for 10 years until i sold it a couple of months ago

Check your tyre pressure fella.Common fault and has a lot to answer for.Failing that,glow plugs.

Deffo check the tyres,

Like Phil mine did similar last year when it was -13 I didn't change the battery but its been fine since. Was a little slow this week in the cold but not too bad I keep expecting to need a new battery but can't quite get motivated to get one till this gives up