making the decision - when to put your dog to sleep?

Bry-M

We've got an old collie who's been with us since she was 18 months, she is 12 now and it seems in the last 12 months she's gone from being a mad ball of fur full of energy to an arthritic old pensioner.

She has developed a lump/swelling under her front shoulder, it doesn't cause her any pain but makes walking difficult.

We're at the stage now where she spends a lot of time in her bed - although she will not miss an opportunity to go and harass the horses when they are coming in/going out!

Its sad to see her just lying in her bed so much, she is always glad of being fussed and stroked but hard to see her struggling to get up and move around.

At what point do you say 'enough is enough' and have her put down? It feels like each day we try and weigh up are we keeping her going for our sake or is her quality of life good enough that she can keep going a while longer.

I assume your dog is on some medication for the arthritis? There are lots of very good and very safe doggy painkillers available that can make the world of difference to your dogs quality of life. Don't leave the poor ****** in pain. If it is on medication there are extra drugs that can be added on top.

Yeah the dog is on meds for the arthritus, we had the vet out for one of the horses and he prescribed anti inflamatories and pain killers. She's been on them for a while now and seems happy in herself.

It's just sad to see her now compared to how she used to be.

Thanks for the comments, very much appreciated!

Hi, I'd say if she's happy in herself, eating, drinking, going to toilet ok and her pain is controlled then it's fine to carry on. As a dog gets older their needs change as does what fulfills them with regard to having a quality of life - like in humans you don't see many 70-80 year olds madly running around but but they still get some enjoyment out of life. I agree with kent's statement though that too early is better than too late. I quite often have people come in to see me to put an animal to sleep and they have left it too long, but if they have minimal/no pain and have some quality of life then I think going on is fine.

(im a small animal vet)

Edited by altnipper

I might say some close friends held onto an old cat for far too long, it had cancer and the vet produced some terrific bills for them before the inevitable occurred. I know the situations are not identical but one sometimes might examine motives of the vet and motives of the owner in such circumstances, both need keep a level head. let me say we are talking a four figure sum

I'd take issue with that, if they feel the motives were financial then that vet should be reported to the RCVS, they will look at the case and take action if necessary - which they do do. We take an oath when we qualify and the vast majority of vets adhere to the oath. Most vets hate talking about money, this is true. Also most vets have nothing to do with the cost of the treatments involved in trying to get animals back to health - this is up to the practice managers and partners, most assisttant are on modest wages (compared to similar standing degrees gained from university - I started on £21,000 7 years ago, a friends wife is a dentist she started on 36k and after her first year this doubled to 72k - I'm on no where near that) Being a vet isn't something you do for the money you do it because you like the work, It's a massively stressful job trying to balance treating animals properly and peoples finances and expectations. It's year on year one of the professions with the highest suicide rate mainly due to the pressure of I believe dealing with unrealistic owners, sick animals (which you can't treat how you'd like to) and massively high work load. Veterinary care is these days very expensive, you say 4 figure sum - this is becoming the norm now - better care, knowledge and equipment have lead to this, I give people choices in their treatment and leave it up to them, I never pressurise anyone into a specific treatment but if they do want to try then their bills can get quite big, but nothing unfortunately is 100% with regard to outcome, that's unrealistic. You say the outcome was 'inevitable' but you haven't put down any particulars, if you do then I'd comment on them if you like but I think it's very rare to find a vet who would do something that unnecessary and if you feel that was the case then reporting them is the thing to do, this also sends a shot across the bow of other vets as we all get to hear about it in the vet press. The main problem when situations arrise like this, when people are disgruntled, is that things weren't explained properly to them, if that's done from the start with the risks involved and the possible outcomes good and bad then mostly people are happy even if they try and it doesn't work.

Sorry Bry-M hijaccked your post but felt I had to reply to the above, we as vets get it in the neck a lot about costs, but it is a high revenue high cost (staff, equipment, drugs) business at the moment and a lot of vets don't make a lot of money these days (that's why they are being bought out by large corporate nationwide firms).

If you had to pay for your health care at the point of treatment I guarantee you you would think we were cheap

Cheers

Edited by altnipper

Bry-M,

If you love your dog like we love ours, and I feel sure you do.

You will know when the time as come, you will know it and your dog will show it in it's eyes.

Our Belgian Shepherd had similar issues eighteen months ago, we had a course of injections, cortosone, 6 or 8 for £100 and she has had a good time since and regularly runs whilst out exercising. She is covered in lumps which the vet says are not troubling her.

Remember a vet will always try to preserve life where possible, you have to make the decision. Ask your vet about the above injections. Good luck.

'Remember a vet will always try to preserve life where possible'

As I say above, this is true as long as they have a quality of life and are not in pain, a vet shouldn't preserve life if these things aren't there, that's the foundation of what we do and is what makes us different to doctors, we don't have to preserve life at all costs.

I agree they do tell you when the time is right quite often, going off food, drinking loads, not wanting to do anything signs something is up, but if just slowing down and not in pain then is fine.

Sorry again about the big rant above but obviously something that is close to me, and like defending shooting sports I tend to jump to the defensive.

Got to agree with most of the above comments, if the dogs not in pain and still has a reasonable quality of life, let her slow down in her retirement and take things at her pace. My Collie X started to slow down a bit later (about 13) and used to trot around rather than running, but she was still good for another 4 years, she lived to 18, but at the end had gone almost deaf, was going blind and started to lose bladder control. The loss of control combined with a sudden worsening of her arthritis which resulted in her falling over and being unable to get up was the signal for me to ask the question, the vet felt the time was maybe due but made it clear it was my decision but I knew in my heart keeping her going was doing her no favours, so that was decision made. Retrospectively, it should have been made 6 months earlier, a selfish mistake I won't make again.

You will know when she crosses over from being simply old, to the time has come.

Edited by -Mongrel-

Mine went in July aged 12

I knew it was coming, but also knew I couldnt make an appointment for later in the week, I played it day by day.

Got up one morning, made the call for later that day, and the deed was done.

Hardest thing ive done, :sad1:

As has been said, you will know but dont leave it too long

:shaun:

We're in the same sort of situation too : our collie is 14 now, and has slowed down a lot in the last 12 months, lots of lumps on him now, arthritic, bladder infections seem to be quite regular.

However, some days he still enjoys coming out with me round the fields, barking at the sheep from the other side of the fence (they know him so well one of the ewes is nose to nose with him), going bananas when we feed the chickens.

Other days he can barely pull himself out of the door to follow me out to the garage / workshop.

Still enjoys the (rare) sunny day, relaxing out on the yard in a sheltered spot, soaking up the rays.

We know the day will come. But as long as we feel he has a quality of life, that day is still in the future.

All the best

Thanks for all the replies, it was good to also get a vets perspective on things as well!

Talking about it has made it easier to face, we'll keep her topped up with meds and take each day as it comes but will bear in mind the comments from people regretting not doing it sooner.

Our previous dog made this decision much easier, she had a massive stroke, couldn't function properly and it was obvious what the right thing to do was.

Never fails to amaze me how attached we can get to animals, sometimes you're not aware of it until something happens to remind you just how much!

Tough, very tough. One of the reasons I will never have another dog. One thing nobody else has been indiscrete enough to mention openly so it looks like I will have to say it. The cost of keeping an old dog going can be crippling which makes you feel like a total **** when you finally have to say enough. Then you really do feel bad. Bye old friend, your time has come because I don't have another £500 to shell out.

RIP Luke I still feel I let him down

Edited by Vince Green

I'm sorry to hear that Vince, it sounds like he had a really good and kind owner to me. Everyone has their limits as to how much they can afford and it can be a really sad situation, It sounds as though you did the best you could for him, in your situation,which is the main thing. Making sure they are not in pain or distress by letting them go can be the kindest thing you can ever do for them.

Edited by altnipper