New Winchester .17 (20 grain at 3,000fps)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Realistically I'm not sure why the hmr needs improving, its a cracking bunny and small vermin gun. The only downside is noise and odds are this would be noisier, more powder usually does that. Once you go faster and heavier bullet you might as well go centerfire and have something proper for foxes etc and leave the bunny shooting to a bunny gun.

Realistically I'm not sure why the hmr needs improving, its a cracking bunny and small vermin gun. The only downside is noise and odds are this would be noisier, more powder usually does that. Once you go faster and heavier bullet you might as well go centerfire and have something proper for foxes etc and leave the bunny shooting to a bunny gun.

yet the real trick with rimfires has always been production costs of factory ammo being cheaper, if this is achieved then its got a bright future. cheapest factory c/f is what? 45p a pop? there is a gap here between the HMR and the small c/f if the user does not wish to reload for any reason. Produce this stuff at equal cost to HMR fodder ................................ !

larger case, more powder and a heavier bullet all sounds like the components will be more then the HMR to produce so realistically its unlikely especially with the volume of HMR ammo that is produced. To start another round and try and compete would be seriously hard work and not the best business plan I've ever heard of

I'd say that if it does price match the HMR it's going to be a real hit. More fox capability and the 20gr bullet should mean that it doesn't blow up any worse than the HMR does with it's 17. If it wasn't for the fact that I like to load my own I'd be on that like a shot.

looking like what the HMR should have been,

The HMR is what it should have been, it's just not what you want it to be.

The new calibre looks useful, it would be great if they could make it work in semi-autos. My biggest hope is that it will drive the price of HMR ammo down.

we still get HMR ammo for £10 a box so not bad price wise, this is another one we don't have any quarry for in the UK. Its not a bunny gun and its not a fox gun just like the 17 hornet .22 hornet etc when you go centerfire you might as well go for a proper one

yet the real trick with rimfires has always been production costs of factory ammo being cheaper, if this is achieved then its got a bright future.

If they can get it near the HMR's price, & CZ bring a rifle on the market, I think it'll catch on.

Speed sells........same as what happened with the HMR v the 22.

we still get HMR ammo for £10 a box so not bad price wise, this is another one we don't have any quarry for in the UK. Its not a bunny gun and its not a fox gun just like the 17 hornet .22 hornet etc when you go centerfire you might as well go for a proper one

£10 a box :drool: i paid 29.50 for 100 rounds from my local gunshop.

I have been looking at this new caliber with great interest. I am/was considering purchasing a .17REM, but after reading the reviews etc, I think the .17 Winchester would suit me fine. If I did eventually purchase one, I would get rid of my .17HMR. The .17WIN would be used for long range Corvid control and maybe the odd fox or two.

I have been looking at this new caliber with great interest. I am/was considering purchasing a .17REM, but after reading the reviews etc, I think the .17 Winchester would suit me fine. If I did eventually purchase one, I would get rid of my .17HMR. The .17WIN would be used for long range Corvid control and maybe the odd fox or two.

I think it's worth waiting to see what it's really capable of in the field together with running costs etc. looking good though :)

We won't see any guns or ammo till at least the end of 2013, probably not till early 2014. The .17 hornets been out for a while now and we still haven't got the different versions of the savage rifle that are avalible !! Or new brass for reloading,Yet alone the ruger 77/17H !! We always get the ar@e end of new products :(

Edited by rimmie

The HMR is what it should have been, it's just not what you want it to be.

The new calibre looks useful, it would be great if they could make it work in semi-autos. My biggest hope is that it will drive the price of HMR ammo down.

not if you were around when it was actually launched and recall it billed as a 200yds vermin gun. It wont go auto as it will suffer the same fate as the HMR in that respect

Well they are billing it for coyotes and a reasonable ranges I am positive it is a fox gun taking into account its got quite a bit more energy than a .22 WMR and the inuit use that for seal. Costs are the big one BUT its developed from a construction tool cartridge so economy of scale is already in place, having worked with the Yanks I can tell you its almost a case of " if I cant get my nail gun on it it don't get fixed" . The .22 Hornet is well capable on fox exactly how you see a 45 grn bullet at 2900 FPS not a "proper" centre fire beggers belief

As for when will we see it int he UK that will donw to BWM to import some and sell them to dealers there is alot of stuff that can't or won't be sold in the UK we are one very very small market for firearms and i doubt were even a consideration in development. As Rim fire reloading isnt practical supply of ammo will be the critical thing would spend £400+ on a rifle that you might struggle to get ammo for?

Well they are billing it for coyotes and a reasonable ranges I am positive it is a fox gun taking into account its got quite a bit more energy than a .22 WMR and the inuit use that for seal. Costs are the big one BUT its developed from a construction tool cartridge so economy of scale is already in place, having worked with the Yanks I can tell you its almost a case of " if I cant get my nail gun on it it don't get fixed" . The .22 Hornet is well capable on fox exactly how you see a 45 grn bullet at 2900 FPS not a "proper" centre fire beggers belief

Big fields and lamping from a vehicle aren't a good combination for a center fire on the limit at 200 yards on foxes, I like to put them down with more authority,

Big fields and lamping from a vehicle aren't a good combination for a center fire on the limit at 200 yards on foxes, I like to put them down with more authority,

I don't think the .17 rem, 17 hornet or .22 hornet are particularly on their limit at 200 yds - its the shooter who is more often. strange you are forever extolling the virtues of the HMR for foxes though as I don't give it time of day as a foxer