New Winchester .17 (20 grain at 3,000fps)

I don't think the .17 rem, 17 hornet or .22 hornet are particularly on their limit at 200 yds - its the shooter who is more often. strange you are forever extolling the virtues of the HMR for foxes though as I don't give it time of day as a foxer

As most probably more foxes are killed with rimfire than centre fire legal or not am very confident the hornet has the capability to down foxes out past 200 yards.

The smaller of the cf rounds it may be but it's still half again as powerfull the expected figures given by Winchester. It's just not a point and shoot round, it requires some thought and patience.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the .17 rem, 17 hornet or .22 hornet are particularly on their limit at 200 yds - its the shooter who is more often. strange you are forever extolling the virtues of the HMR for foxes though as I don't give it time of day as a foxer

For noise sensitive areas at close range it works simple, I don't like having a cabinet of guns when a couple cover everything I need

For noise sensitive areas at close range it works simple, I don't like having a cabinet of guns when a couple cover everything I need

my hornet is quieter with a T12 scout than the HMR was with a SAK, it also fills the void between .22 LR and .243 better than having a HMR and say a .223 /.222/ .20 ruger as well. I can see this new Rimfire offering doing that for a lot of non re-loaders and far more suited as a crow, rabbit, fox gun in the UK were we seriously lack little woodchucks etc.

my hornet is quieter with a T12 scout than the HMR was with a SAK, it also fills the void between .22 LR and .243 better than having a HMR and say a .223 /.222/ .20 ruger as well. I can see this new Rimfire offering doing that for a lot of non re-loaders and far more suited as a crow, rabbit, fox gun in the UK were we seriously lack little woodchucks etc.

Agreed

my .222 running 50gr at 3000fps through a T12 scout is quieter than both my WMR and HMR...and reloading costs are not much worse either!

I love rimfires and have 4 calibres but you just know this will be more expensive than the HMR in every respect and at present very few rifle choices

You only have a void due to not having a Hmr with that and a .243 I have everything here covered.

Agreed

my .222 running 50gr at 3000fps through a T12 scout is quieter than both my WMR and HMR...and reloading costs are not much worse either!

I love rimfires and have 4 calibres but you just know this will be more expensive than the HMR in every respect and at present very few rifle choices

If it were the same price or cheaper than the HMR or WMR to feed might it replace both the WMR and HMR? this will be the rub with this new one- The guys at Winchester aint dumb bigger don't have to mean dearer especially when its developed from a nail gun cartridge that already exists in their group

I have been looking at this new caliber with great interest. I am/was considering purchasing a .17REM, but after reading the reviews etc, I think the .17 Winchester would suit me fine. If I did eventually purchase one, I would get rid of my .17HMR. The .17WIN would be used for long range Corvid control and maybe the odd fox or two.

+1.

The figures do look promising, put they aren't much good if the accuracy isn't up to scratch. It's going to be a case of wait and see.

Ha Ha, here we go again, we have been waiting to hear what this new magical calibre was, now we know, not available until summer MINIMUM and probably later here, yet the speculation is rife.

How is the .17 Hornet doing which so many were having an orgasm over?

:good:

On the, face of it, it would tick a lot of boxes for me. But like you say, at the minute it's all speculation. There are lots of ifs and buts,like ammo cost and availability, reliability and which rifle manufacturers take it on broad.

I won't be putting my hmr on the Trading Post for a wee while yet. ;)

To be honest, I'd just like to see them get a .17 HMR out that's 20gn vmax and does the same speed as the 17gn. I know it wouldn't make a massive difference but it would just be a little bit more "poke" and would offer us a bit more choice - considering what's currently available.

I've no idea what the pressure differences are etc etc, I just mean hypothetically really but I did hear once that it could be done but they didn't because semi auto's don't support the bottom of the case enough to prevent it failing under the additional pressure.

I still think my next rifle's gonna be one of the smaller centrefires though (not .17).

How is the .17 Hornet doing which so many were having an orgasm over?

Not doing too badly from what I can make of it. There are still people waiting for them so there must be a demand. Mines going to be ready at the end of next week apparently and I'm quite looking forward to it.

What rifle manufacturers are behind the .17 Hornet ?

OK the yanks are behind it but what about Anshutz, CZ, SAkO, etc,etc. Are they serious about getting this round and their guns in to the UK?

If they are not then the New Winchester mag, if it's easily available in a years time will rule the roost. Supply and ammo costs seem key to me.

Edited by Whitebridges

Not doing too badly from what I can make of it. There are still people waiting for them so there must be a demand. Mines going to be ready at the end of next week apparently and I'm quite looking forward to it.

thats not what I've heard, despite the huge hype the take up is very low from the dealers I know, the wait is another matter and purely down to supply

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...