Bird feeders, what have you got?

harrycatcat1

In our front garden I have a feeder with niger seed, a feeder with mixed seed and two fat balls hanging.

The thing is I have not seen many birds taking the seed in this cold weather. The niger seeds did attract goldfinches in big numbers a while ago and seen the odd one recently and the fat balls I have not seen a bird on them at all. Apart from the coloured string which did not bother them up to now I cant see why I have not seen more taking advantage of the free food.

Any ideas?

post-16219-0-91201400-1358711429_thumb.jpg

Regards

Hcc

I have 8 fatballs andtwo feeder which contain sunflower hearts and niga seeds the goldies seem to hammer these i refill them every 3 days i also put 2 tubs of corn on the bridge for the peacocks and guinea fowl but this attract allthe local pheasies and a stream of longtails which i cant shoot at night from the bedroom window

Mark

Got 2 feeders out with Sunflower hearts-filling them twice /day the last few days-the Finches etc sit on the feeders while the bigger birds wait underneath for the spills.This year is the first time we have put feeders out since next doors cat slaughtered most of the birds a couple of years back-including a pair of Blackcaps :mad:

We have goldfinches, blue tits, great tits, lesser redpol, long-tailed tits, robins, mistle thrush, fieldfare, coal tits, great spotted woodpeckers, greenfinch,chaffinch, blackbirds on the feeders. We're running a mix of peanut feeders, Niger seed, mixed seed, and fat balls.

The green and goldfinch love the Niger seed, the blue tits, great tits go bandy for the fat balls, everything likes the mixed seed, the peanuts too are a big hit, especially with the woodpeckers.

No magpies here though, they don't tend to live too long.

Got acouple of feeders with peanuts and just put bread and mixed seeds on ground. We get blue and great tits sparrows hedge sparrows black birds the odd pigeon French partridge and pheasant. But the best one is a robin that we have been feeding on our living room window ledge for a while which has become confident enough to take food from me and my wife's hand. Funny how robins are so trusting.

I've two feeders, one with peanuts and the other with sunflower seeds, Until the snow I had greenfinches, bullfinches ,blue tits and an occasional great spotted woodpecker, now, almost nothing. Did try fat balls but no takers! A bit like shootnfish, I do have a tame Robin, not as tame as his though, it will follow me into the greenhouse and eat seeds I put down for him.

i've got fatballs, a slab of the same stuff in a cage, mixed seed, and some meal works in suet, we've had loads in over the past week, mostly starlings but a few tits, robins, blackbirds and what i presume to be a family of thrush of some kind, it has olive drab wing plumage, light grey body with a gold/black speckled throat, any ideas?

we had the grandkids over this morning and we built a snowman, the robin now uses it for a perch :good:

as for your problem hcc, i reckon the fat balls must be too hard in this cold weather, they haven't touched ours either, how about water?

Edited by GRAM71

Got 2 feeders with a general mix of seed in, and fat balls. For the past five years since we have been here we seemed to be surporting a huge flock of sparrows that live in the 1 metre thick privet hedge at the bottom of the garden. Blue tits, Robins, Gold finches, Blackbirds, and even the local woodies fight for what was left.

But since the beginning of November all we have seen is the odd sparrow. Then the penny dropped, our old cat died last year (to slow to worry the birds), and the local moggies have now plucked up courage to include our garden into their hunting patch.

The moggies are now "removed" humanly with a fishing catapult, and a a crushed boile :) whenever I see one. Just hope the birds return sometime.

Yes I know the woodies are taking the mick,and there is a tin of .22 pellets with their name on it, but a neighbour has a greenhouse in line of sight from the bedroom window to the bird feeder, and my green house in line of sight from my shed :mad:

similar shape mate, do they have a winter coat? these are much more striking than that, paler underbelly with more significant gold plumage on the breast/throat, and greener wings i got a picture with the new camera but they wont upload :rolleyes:

have you resized the pics before trying to upload ?

We've only got two feeders and a bird table but put a jug of seed down on the path every day too.

Only thing is that I went out roost shooting at a local wood on saturday and one of the pigeons I shot was full of wheat and niger seed. Hope it wasn't one I've been feeding :o

We've got thru 60kg of seed so far this year along with quite a few kg of raisins for the blackbirds.

952BF681-DDD6-40DF-BE78-7A46A1CB9D82-121-0000000357541454.jpg

Have this chap on our bird feeder out side my office window quite a lot...seen him every year for the last 3 years...

My Friend lives in the country and.gets a wood pecker feeding on the station all the time. His garden is alive with birds. He even gets the local Pheasants in there feeding. It's a cracking sight :yes:

Edited by Lord Geordie

We don't feed the birds much anymore because of the cost. But we do put some out whenever it snows badly, like now.

In previous years we've had bramblings, fieldfares, house sparrows, greenfinches, goldfinches, chaffinches, blue tits, great tits, long tailed tits, blackbirds, probably others which I can't remember off the top of my head.

How long have the feeders been up? Sometimes it takes a while for the birds to find them.

I've got two seed feeders of black sunflower seeds, one feeder of peanuts, two wire feeders for fat blocks (homemade) and a bird table of loose seed.

Getting all the tits, robins, blackbirds, all the finches, nuthatches, a pair of great spotted woodpeckers, sparrows, a regular pheasant and the occasional sparrowhawk which gets chased away and the odd magpie which gets shot.

About 20 feeders and gone through four tons of wheat so far. Feeding mainly pheasants with some redleg and grey partridges. Roe deer taking a lot of feed! Bit of snow on the ground also reveals a few mice and voles helping themselves to spilt grain at night. Woodpigeon also hitting the feeders along with assorted corvids. Always a few finches, thrushes and the like around the feeders but most are in our 'wild bird strips'.

We don't feed the birds much anymore because of the cost. But we do put some out whenever it snows badly, like now.

In previous years we've had bramblings, fieldfares, house sparrows, greenfinches, goldfinches, chaffinches, blue tits, great tits, long tailed tits, blackbirds, probably others which I can't remember off the top of my head.

How long have the feeders been up? Sometimes it takes a while for the birds to find them.

They have been up at least 2 years cant understand why recently they are not interested. :/