Jump to content

Pump Club


thepasty
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/08/2023 at 18:48, .357shooter said:

new to this site so just saying i have the mossberg 12g 590 persuader 24" and it is a blast.good on clays considering and not at all slow to shoot but thing i like most is the noise it makes.one mate hates the noise the pump makes but that just makes me want to shoot it more often.

It’s interesting the pump noise. Shooting a semi auto to me is slightly disconcerting as there’s mechanical noise every shot, not caused by me. A pump makes similar noise but because I do it, don’t find it disconcerting.

welcome!

Scrummy

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

it is very strange how everyone is different.i do not notice the semi,s clanking about as some put it.as for the pump again i do not take any notice except when you cycle the gun when empty.must be too much to do and concentrate on and concentrate on doing it right to notice the noise when i actually shoot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

After a long time out after selling my 20g hatsan pump I've finally rejoined pump club!

 

I have got myself a Mossberg hushpower 410 and I'm in love with it, it just fits, shoots well and is so much fun I think my other 410's are just gonna be gathering dust now.

 

The duck were shot with some tss homeloads I was gifted by a friend. 

 

Regards

 

Gary

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UPhLE96eCm8EnCTg9

Edited by bicykillgaz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Nice pump! Had a PA8 many years ago was a super light fast action gun. The big roll over safety can be felt with gloved hands ( it was a problem on early SPAS 12’s but not on these excellent pumps. Hope you find the chokes you are looking for but don’t dismiss cylinder bore with its nice short length. Some of the external chokes can add up to 4” although these long chokes are very effective and don’t suffer so much with thread problems 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/12/2023 at 00:10, impala59 said:

Nice pump! Had a PA8 many years ago was a super light fast action gun. The big roll over safety can be felt with gloved hands ( it was a problem on early SPAS 12’s but not on these excellent pumps. Hope you find the chokes you are looking for but don’t dismiss cylinder bore with its nice short length. Some of the external chokes can add up to 4” although these long chokes are very effective and don’t suffer so much with thread problems 

I have a SPAS too, with a cross bolt safety, this is about 1.4kg lighter, handles much differently. As far as I can tell the trigger groups are identical, apart from the PA7 lifter being polished metal and not black. I swapped the trigger groups over and both guns appear to function. So I shall be cautious of the lever safety. 

Edited by Rock_n_Roll_Outlaw
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depending on the manufacturing date of the SPAS, also whether it was recalled, you may have no problems at all with the roll over safety. The early models (I also had a SPAS) suffered with sear disengagement (and consequent firing) when taking  the safety off. I binned the big catch quite early on (I was younger then and looking for speed!) I eventually binned the SPAS in favour of an 1100 which was of course the race gun of the day ( wish I had held on to it as the values have shot up now!) I kept the PA 8 for quite a while as it had a folding stock and was great fun to shoot, I sold it just before the overall length law changed as I couldn’t be bothered to source a full stock or weld up the folder. My interests had shifted to Ithaca pumps and I have had those (many!) over the years since then. Nonetheless, I do have fond memories of shooting practical at the beginnings of the sport with both my Franchi’s. They had military credibility, movie star status and generally looked good in the rack and on the stages, unfortunately, they never really performed to the level that was needed to compete. Now, of course, they are sought after collectors items, and the venerable Remmy’s are consigned to the cheapie auctions, how fortunes are reversed! I still have an 1187 dedicated slug gun and perhaps interestingly have converted the push through safety to a 90 degree roll over, forward to fire and down for safe. I have this configuration on all my competition guns and it works for me as it becomes ambidextrous and the down position interferes with the trigger finger so preventing those “doh” safety catch moments! I had not realised until writing this that I had probably been influenced all those years ago by my Franchi experiences 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loved my Franchi.  Love my Mossy 500 even more though...

 

Can't even think about firing a semi these days as it feels like holding a wiggling cat or similar.  Far superior experience with a pump.  I have an improved cylinder aftermarket choke in mine. Never felt outgunned range wise.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/12/2023 at 00:57, impala59 said:

Depending on the manufacturing date of the SPAS, also whether it was recalled, you may have no problems at all with the roll over safety. The early models (I also had a SPAS) suffered with sear disengagement (and consequent firing) when taking  the safety off. I binned the big catch quite early on (I was younger then and looking for speed!) I eventually binned the SPAS in favour of an 1100 which was of course the race gun of the day ( wish I had held on to it as the values have shot up now!) I kept the PA 8 for quite a while as it had a folding stock and was great fun to shoot, I sold it just before the overall length law changed as I couldn’t be bothered to source a full stock or weld up the folder. My interests had shifted to Ithaca pumps and I have had those (many!) over the years since then. Nonetheless, I do have fond memories of shooting practical at the beginnings of the sport with both my Franchi’s. They had military credibility, movie star status and generally looked good in the rack and on the stages, unfortunately, they never really performed to the level that was needed to compete. Now, of course, they are sought after collectors items, and the venerable Remmy’s are consigned to the cheapie auctions, how fortunes are reversed! I still have an 1187 dedicated slug gun and perhaps interestingly have converted the push through safety to a 90 degree roll over, forward to fire and down for safe. I have this configuration on all my competition guns and it works for me as it becomes ambidextrous and the down position interferes with the trigger finger so preventing those “doh” safety catch moments! I had not realised until writing this that I had probably been influenced all those years ago by my Franchi experiences 

It wasn't until the 90s that they switched from the lever safeties to the push button ones and the levers were recalled. All levers could potentially fail at some point. I managed to find a factory push safety trigger group to swap out. Also you'd probably be surprised to hear that the franchi folding stocks are now worth an obscene amount of money, especially in the states. They sell for $3k, almost as much as the guns themselves! 

 

On 24/12/2023 at 03:34, Wharf Rat said:

Loved my Franchi.  Love my Mossy 500 even more though...

 

Can't even think about firing a semi these days as it feels like holding a wiggling cat or similar.  Far superior experience with a pump.  I have an improved cylinder aftermarket choke in mine. Never felt outgunned range wise.  

I've fired a few autos that do feel like wriggling cats but my SPAS cycles so fast that the movement of the action isn't even noticeable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Looks like it was maybe one of mine! certainly agree with most of this video, have my own opinion regarding 'slam fire' though, I posted some time back on this forum (FEB 4 2018)

Absolutely the best pump gun in my opinion!

Edited by impala59
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Downforce said:

Does anybody have old/spare practical cartridge caddies that’s  over and above what they need?

Or for that matter know anyone that might have some to sell?

Im new to practical and can’t afford the £500 or so for a new full rig particularly when I don’t know what I need left hand right handed loading and how many etc.

D

IMG_8663.jpeg.9e4512244d79bf0695b78b9d6220b993.jpeg

For what it’s worth, you should maybe post in the wanted section of the site. Whichever club you shoot with will doubtless have many members with gear to sell. As people upgrade, more often than not they just put their other gear aside. Get to know the members, take advice and certainly don’t go blowing £500 on gear that may not even suit you. If you’re using a pump, a regular cartridge belt will suffice while you get to grips with the sport. Enjoy your range time, observe, learn and ask questions  welcome to the most fun shooting discipline!

what pump are you using?

Edited by impala59
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, impala59 said:

post in the wanted section of the site

No response from wanted 😞
Is there a better classified section on a more Practical biased site?

1 hour ago, impala59 said:

many members with gear to sell.

Tried that too 😞

1 hour ago, impala59 said:

what pump are you using?

Using a SA Benelli M2 with a oversized loading port and a few other tweaks and large capacity mag extension 

Its the pickup and loading I need to practice 

Also have a Benelli Nova pump

Thanks for the suggestions though 

Edited by Downforce
Link to comment
Share on other sites

New toy! After maybe 20 odd years of regretting having to sell my old one, I’m thrilled to say I’m back on track! 
Winchester Model 12. 
Accept no substitutes! 

Some may argue the Ithaca Model 37 is the best, but I say that’s debatable. However, no one can deny the Winchester Model 12 is the best looking of all pumps!  🙂

Better looking than both the 42 and the 1897. 
There is some seriously nice wood on this beauty too, very reminiscent of an old DG I owned. Will look even better after a bit of spit and polish. 
Play time! 😍

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Scully
This:
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Scully said:

New toy! After maybe 20 odd years of regretting having to sell my old one, I’m thrilled to say I’m back on track! 
Winchester Model 12. 
Accept no substitutes! 

Some may argue the Ithaca Model 37 is the best, but I say that’s debatable. However, no one can deny the Winchester Model 12 is the best looking of all pumps!  🙂

Better looking than both the 42 and the 1897. 
There is some seriously nice wood on this beauty too, very reminiscent of an old DG I owned. Will look even better after a bit of spit and polish. 
Play time! 😍

Great to scratch that itch. Even better to share a pic on pw so the rest of us can see. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lovely! Whilst my personal all time preference is for the venerable 37, This one is indeed a beauty! Congratulations on a fine acquisition! Some guns will be around forever, I would argue that M12's will outlast much of todays offerings by a substantial margin!

Looking forward to pics when you have pampered the Wood!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...