Is it always right to shoot foxes

Beretta06

I have sometimes seen foxes whilst shooting pigeons, I have even had then rob a shot bird on more than one occasion. However, I would never shoot foxy on such occasions.

I also refuse to shoot foxes on driven bird days. If I am paying £1000+ a day to shoot, it is the keepers job, not mine.

We have 700 sheep and have never had problems with foxy, so I would be hard pushed to find a reason to kill one. And, the fox is part of our countryside I would hate to lose.

So, would you always shoot foxy, or are you happy to leave him alone if he isn't a problem for you??

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot foxs to protect my animals I lost 20 white silkies just taken heads off and leaving before christmas

lock them up put a fence up people tell me

The fox eat though the wire

If no one shot foxs the country side would change

Ground nesting best would lose out

Edited by m2tyj

I have sometimes seen foxes whilst shooting pigeons, I have even had then rob a shot bird on more than one occasion. However, I would never shoot foxy on such occasions.

I also refuse to shoot foxes on driven bird days. If I am paying £1000+ a day to shoot, it is the keepers job, not mine.

We have 700 sheep and have never had problems with foxy, so I would be hard pushed to find a reason to kill one. And, the fox is part of our countryside I would hate to lose.

So, would you always shoot foxy, or are you happy to leave him alone if he isn't a problem for you??

1000 quid you having ya pants down :oops:

Bullet, a bit off the thread topic, but if you can find me 300 bird pheasant/partridge days for under £1000, please forward me the details as it would be much appreciated.

But there was no need to say how much you have paid for game shooting when the thread was about shooting foxes. I fear that you may get more grief for your post.

Foxes should be controlled, because it is essential for rare ground nesting birds. Threatened species cannot cope with predation like thriving species can.

They should also be controlled if they pose a threat to game birds and livestock. Some may not have any need to control them, but many others do.

But the aim is control, not eradication. Foxes also take other pests such as rats and rabbits, so can be beneficial to land managers in the right numbers. And they are part of the British fauna and have a place in the countryside.

I've spent a lot of time in the countryside near where I live and have only ever seen a fox once. I haven't seen them at all on the farm where I shoot, and my dad hasn't seen any for a number of years. We know they're there because we have occasionally seen tracks and what appear to be fox droppings, but we don't seem to be overun with them at all.

However, I am given to understand that a sickly looking one turned up a few years ago out of nowhere, and then disappeared.

Why do people get riled by mention of money, I'm sure Beretta06 has worked hard for his money and if he wants to spend £1000 on a shoot then so be it. It also brings in money to countryside sports and keeps many of these old estates going.

Back to the thread, I have permission to shoot fox on my uncles farm but as they are causing no problems at the moment then he doesn't want them shot. I get to enjoy watching them but if the time came I would have no hesitation pulling the trigger.

We shoot them on sight and never have any lack of them, the other thing we have noticed is how in semi urban areas where we used to get some real manky mangey ones they seem to have disappeared. Whether this is a result of taking out the ones causing problems and reducing their density I don't know but it has happened on a few different pieces of ground. On our game shoot the grey partridges and hares are thriving, the one thing though is we shoot a pretty constant number of foxes every year.

As for not shooting them on a game day well I would always out of respect for the work the keeper has put in.

I woldent shoot them just for the sake it. Maybe if i had to because they were eating my chickens or similar. If they were eating some else's chickens to bad. I don't buy this people shooting them because they are pests if people enjoy shooting them just say that.

Edited by ordnance

I wouldnt shoot one if it was in the crosshairs and it started serenading me by singing anything by Greenday whilst doing a handstand and smoking a particulary large hotdog as though its was the finest cuban thigh rolled seeeeeeeeegar.No sireeeeeee.However,as soon as i got bored of the routine i would take a breath,hold,squeeze that lethal lickle blade getting sexily caressed by moi trigger finger and roll him over.Infact,nobody,and i mean nobody should cover anything by Greenday so i wouldnt even wait till im bored.In fact,im bored now.

Bullet, a bit off the thread topic, but if you can find me 300 bird pheasant/partridge days for under £1000, please forward me the details as it would be much appreciated.

Didn't mean to offend don't know wot the prices are ,but if that's wot it is enjoy,as for the fox yes if one crossed my path and safe shot

Whats the poison tonight Sako, I want some.....

Glayva with a wee dash(the odd litre or two,but hell,whos counting?) of Tennents.Not in the same glass though.However,i did think the reply was worthy of the thread.If you struggle to get Glayva,Drambuie or Diesel will give the same effect Doc. :friends:

I shoot on a farm with 1000 sheep, the foxes were jumping in the lambing stalls and taking the new born lambs and wounding a few more…

65 foxes later the farmer is very happy and so is the Sheppard.

http://i856.photobuc...es/DSCN0129.jpg

TEH