Choice between .17 HMR and .22 LR

Psyxologos

I need some advice from the good people of the Stalking Directory. I am after a rifle for some rabbit and hare shooting. I have read the comparisons between .17 HMR and .22 LR, I have seen the videos, I think I understand the main differences between the two, as well as their advantages and limitations. Being the inquisitive type I am, I would still like to hear from you with regards to which of the two calibres you would recommend to me, and why. Please be as exhaustive in your argument as you want, I really need to hear as much detail as possible. Did I mention I am terribly indecisive when it comes to that sort of thing? doh.gificon_redface.gif

Some facts about where I will be shooting:

1. Noise is not a problem, so the fact that the .17 HMR is 'snappier' than the .22 LR is not a disadvantage.

2. Ranges I am hoping to be shooting them are between 20 yards and 150 yards (off a bipod or a rest, I have this luxury in this ground)

3. The terrain varies between a hill with quite a slope on it, to a long, long flat plain.

4. There are corvids I might want to shoot too.

5. Wind can be an issue sometimes, and I am aware that the .17 HMR does suffer from this. I doubt it will put me off getting one though.

6. Soft ground everywhere, so no problem with the .22 LR being quite problematic with ricochet.

7. I want to eat what I will shoot, so meat damage is an issue. I was told that with the .17HMR I will get more meat damage but I can more reliably head shoot the rabbits/hares.

I am kind of convinced that I want/need a .17 HMR as everyone I spoke to said they are the better calibre, flatter, safer etc. Is there any reason that I should chose a .22 LR instead? What do you use? I am aware that there are people who will say 'get them both' but neither do I need them both, nor can I afford to buy them both. I just want a rifle that will do the job reliably and I will enjoy. I already own a .22 LR, but it is an Anschutz target rifle, so not much comparison to what I want the new rifle to do. I have never fired a .17 HMR before.

I am thinking of a bolt action CZ 452/455 (in .22 LR or .17 HMR) just so you get an idea of where my research has taken me so far.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated! Thanks!

Id plump for the .17HMR with everything you have said and as for meat damage you can always use hollowpoint instead of the explosive Vmax, I have the CZ452 American 16" barrel and its deadly.

My maximum range is around 120-130 yards . my usual shots not exceeding 100 yards, the17 was built for this, as for the wind I have not yet had an issue at these ranges.

Alan

I've got both. Of the two I use the .22LR more simply because it's quieter and a lot cheaper to run. At the moment i'm paying about £10 a box (50) for .17HMR which works out at 20p a round and £4 a box for .22 which is 8p a round. Worth thinking a bit about your useage and costs. Ask your RFD about ammo prices as these can vary considerably. The tenner a box for .17HMR Hornady V-MAX i'm paying at the moment is pretty cheap.

A HumMeR is a great for crows and hares at longer distances.

Edited by Whitebridges

Personally with that wish list I think you need to get the hmr and go from there, ignore the wind issuesits being compared to centerfires by those who think its an issue as its less affected than the .22lr. If you want something to sit out at those ranges then its the tool for the job and you don't have to start compensating for drop till 125 yards or so with a 100 yard zero. The best option is to try both first if you can the only downside is hit them hard and you may find you run out of rabbits :yes:

I have both and they both do a different job... the 17 is my daytime general purpose rifle used mostly around 100yrds as the crows etc think they safe at that range ;)...its noise is its downside, not because I'm in a noise sensitive area for people but because one shot can scare off other near by quarry.

The 22 is my go to stealth rifle, with subs its silent apart from the thud of the round hitting its target, I use it for lamping out to around 60yrds (all you need) and day time rabbits where I can sneak into position and pop them off at around 80yrds with them being none the wiser.

Edited by thepasty

ah ha another dilema of 17 and 22, like others I have both and IMHO the 22 is so limited i only use it for horse paddock work as its quite. The 17 is a good clean kill whilst with the 22 you get far more that require a 2nd shot.

If you can afford to feed the 17 it would be my first choice, it is expensive on ammo but far better on range and stopping power and no need for endless hold over/under which can always lead to a miss when outside the zero set up

I need some advice from the good people of the Stalking Directory. I am after a rifle for some rabbit and hare shooting. I have read the comparisons between .17 HMR and .22 LR, I have seen the videos, I think I understand the main differences between the two, as well as their advantages and limitations. Being the inquisitive type I am, I would still like to hear from you with regards to which of the two calibres you would recommend to me, and why. Please be as exhaustive in your argument as you want, I really need to hear as much detail as possible. Did I mention I am terribly indecisive when it comes to that sort of thing? doh.gificon_redface.gif

Some facts about where I will be shooting:

1. Noise is not a problem, so the fact that the .17 HMR is 'snappier' than the .22 LR is not a disadvantage.

2. Ranges I am hoping to be shooting them are between 20 yards and 150 yards (off a bipod or a rest, I have this luxury in this ground)

3. The terrain varies between a hill with quite a slope on it, to a long, long flat plain.

4. There are corvids I might want to shoot too.

5. Wind can be an issue sometimes, and I am aware that the .17 HMR does suffer from this. I doubt it will put me off getting one though.

6. Soft ground everywhere, so no problem with the .22 LR being quite problematic with ricochet.

7. I want to eat what I will shoot, so meat damage is an issue. I was told that with the .17HMR I will get more meat damage but I can more reliably head shoot the rabbits/hares.

I am kind of convinced that I want/need a .17 HMR as everyone I spoke to said they are the better calibre, flatter, safer etc. Is there any reason that I should chose a .22 LR instead? What do you use? I am aware that there are people who will say 'get them both' but neither do I need them both, nor can I afford to buy them both. I just want a rifle that will do the job reliably and I will enjoy. I already own a .22 LR, but it is an Anschutz target rifle, so not much comparison to what I want the new rifle to do. I have never fired a .17 HMR before.

I am thinking of a bolt action CZ 452/455 (in .22 LR or .17 HMR) just so you get an idea of where my research has taken me so far.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated! Thanks!

If you get the 455 action, the barrels are supposedly easily swappable between the two calibres giving you choice of 22lr and / or .17hmr

As others have mentioned BOTH is really the answer, but if it has to be ONE, then reading your requirements the HMR wins hands down,

.22lr simply isn't an everyday 150 yard tool, and HV .22 is not accurate, and will be about as noisy as HMR anyway.

Headshot (so reduced meat damage) out to 150 yards with HMR is possible, you will need to practise but out to 100 yards is quite straightforward, so if noise isn't an issue there is no contest.

Any CZ will do what you want in the field.

I have no use for Varmint barrels on ANY of my rifles for field work, some like them, fine, but I see no point or advantage of carting around a bigger/heavier lump of metal than you need to in the field!

:good:

Edited by Dekers

I do tend to favour the idea of getting a .17HMR, I have to admit. Shots out to 150 yards might be the 30-40% of my total shooting, but I doubt I will be shooting them any closer than 60 or 70 yards anyway, because of terrain. Someone mentioned that the .17 HMR are known to be difficult to clean. I am not sure why that would be, can someone help explain please?

I have a CZ 452 american in .17HMR and its very effective on long range rabbits 80 - 110yds doesnt cause alot of meat damage neither with the 17gr hornady. Id personally get the HMR not because that was my choice but you may get a .22 and find yourself wanting to get the HMR in a few months. Yes the HMR is around £10 for 50 hornadys (half of the 22) but compare it to any bigger cal round and its very cheap. Ill be getting a 223 soon but i wont sell my HMR it will always have its place in my cabinet.

Have you looked at the 17hornet ? Or the new 17 winchester thats to be released? Not sure on when but someone on here will know.

ATB

Lewis