Very basic question - field manners

mrmints

Until recently, I've only ever shot on sheep/cow grazing land. Therefore, within reason, I can wonder about willy nilly without upsetting anyone/anything.

I've now got an opportunity to shoot over some fields that last year were used for corn. At the moment the fields have been plouged and are full of seeds (and little blue specs, weed killer?). Can I walk into the field to set out decoys when it's in this condition or would this upset the farmer? Is now a good time to be shooting over this field? The seeds look like corn again, but they could be anything.

Also, at the back of the field there are a couple of barns, two of which are used for stables. Are horsey types generally ok with shotguns being used in adjacent fields? How upset do the horses get hearing bangs? The land owner doesn't mind as long as I'm not "too close" to the horses, not sure what that means really!!

I could do with an idiots guide to farming so I know a bit more about whats going on when!

Thanks for any advice guys

Stay well away from the horses and the field will be fine to walk on the place decoys and retrieve shot birds. Might be worth talking to the people who have the horses, letting them now that you will be shooting there. Make friends not enemies.

Ask the lad owner what he thinks is a reasonable distance.

Stay well away from the horses and the field will be fine to walk on the place decoys and retrieve shot birds. Might be worth talking to the people who have the horses, letting them now that you will be shooting there. Make friends not enemies.

Ask the lad owner what he thinks is a reasonable distance.

Good reply thats the best idea talk to land owner and the people who have the horses .

I would ask the farmer who owns the field to make sure you don't get on the wrong side of him and lose your permission.

Also ask him ( or the land owner of the stables) to be a bit more specific regarding how close to the stables.good luck

Until recently, I've only ever shot on sheep/cow grazing land. Therefore, within reason, I can wonder about willy nilly without upsetting anyone/anything.

I've now got an opportunity to shoot over some fields that last year were used for corn. At the moment the fields have been plouged and are full of seeds (and little blue specs, weed killer?). Can I walk into the field to set out decoys when it's in this condition or would this upset the farmer? Is now a good time to be shooting over this field? The seeds look like corn again, but they could be anything.

Also, at the back of the field there are a couple of barns, two of which are used for stables. Are horsey types generally ok with shotguns being used in adjacent fields? How upset do the horses get hearing bangs? The land owner doesn't mind as long as I'm not "too close" to the horses, not sure what that means really!!

I could do with an idiots guide to farming so I know a bit more about whats going on when!

Thanks for the advice all.

The barns are about 225-250yds away from where I think a good spot would be to sit. Is that too close in your experience? I realise there is a lot to take into consideration like direction of shooting (never towards the barns!), wind direction etc but if it was felt this was unacceptably close, I don't have to decoy there!

Chris

Go and speak with the landowner and the horse owners. Wear reasonable clothing, not your dirty old camo gear. Be respectful and seek their guidance. Even get mobile phone numbers and offer yours, as building a few bonds at the start could pay dividends at a later date. You may even get other shooting oportunities from a sensible approach to other people.

Good luck

T.C.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

Thanks for the advice all.

The barns are about 225-250yds away from where I think a good spot would be to sit. Is that too close in your experience? I realise there is a lot to take into consideration like direction of shooting (never towards the barns!), wind direction etc but if it was felt this was unacceptably close, I don't have to decoy there!

That is plenty far enough away. I have found that horses take little notice of shotgun noise, anyway.

Chris

Go and speak with the landowner and the horse owners. Wear reasonable clothing, not your dirty old camo gear. Be respectful and seek their guidance. Even get mobile phone numbers and offer yours, as building a few bonds at the start could pay dividends at a later date. You may even get other shooting oportunities from a sensibel approach to other people.

Good luck

T.C.

I've got a pretty good relationship (I think!) with the landowner. I approached him a while ago and he seemed happy with me shooting an air rifle there in exchange for a bottle of wine every now and again. When I got my shotgun I left him another bottle of wine and a note explaining my new purchase and where I planned to use it, and left my phone number (again) suggesting that if he had any problems what so ever to call me and I would stop immediately.

The horse owners are a different issue, they seem a bit wary of me and all stop and stare as I walk past! However, I will take on board what you say and go and say hello to them next time I'm there.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and advice guys!

Edited by mrmints

To Answer another couple of your questions

A good time to shoot the field is when there are pigeons on it , that will depend on what the "seeds" are , it could be a crop that will offer good shooting for a few months or it could be one that will not attract pigeons.

The blue specks you can see are slug pellets , not weedkiller.

little blue specs..... sounds like spring rape to me mate. the farmers will cycle crops (crop rotation) to keep the soil in good condition. my farmer will plant corn followed by rape then every 4th or 5th cycle put beans or linseed in then start again.

if it is osr keep your eye on it as when the corn drillings have chitted the pigeons should go mad for it and youll be absolutely fine walking on the field, the farmer gave permission to shoot the pigeons over the crop, he knows youll need to walk on it.

Edited by carpentermark

Always throw caution to the wind and ask all involved, saves a lot of headache and hart ache of loosing before you start.

I wouldn't ask the horsey folk as much as politely inform them of what you plan to do because, as has been said, they can be very precious. If you ask and they say no, then you are left with a choice of either not shooting the land or shooting anyway and annoying them more. Let them know that you are aware of the horses and that you will be shooting as far from them as is possible and they should be fine.

I was shooting where there was a horse a good 400yds away yesterday. I kept an eye on it all morning, being prepared to stop shooting if it was bothering it. It seemed fine most of the time but just occasionally it had a canter round its paddock when I shot in its general direction. All you can do is watch what happens and be prepared to stop or move. Never assume all horses will ignore gunshots. Most may do but not all.

GH

I think the last two posts are the two best bits of advice regarding the horses issue.

The crop protection of the field is of no concern to the horse owners and they don't really have any say in the matter.

Keep as far away as is sensible and avoid firing towards their property.

If you ask and they object (I can almost guarantee they will), you are caught over a barrel.

I was shooting where there was a horse a good 400yds away yesterday. I kept an eye on it all morning, being prepared to stop shooting if it was bothering it. It seemed fine most of the time but just occasionally it had a canter round its paddock when I shot in its general direction. All you can do is watch what happens and be prepared to stop or move. Never assume all horses will ignore gunshots. Most may do but not all.

GH

This is where my moderated 20g comes in too :D

Slug pellets are lethal to dogs.

Horses may well ignore the shotgun report but,will panic at shot falling on or arround them.

Showing any sign of weakness in dealing with horsey folk will leave you getting shafted as they tend to be the most selfish self-centred **** arround.

Swap phone numbers suggesting that you may well see problems that you can report to them ie,horses being stolen,chased etc. Sometimes they get caught in fences or even cast and need help.

Good luck with it.

Bryan.