Lining the inside of a gunsafe

aris

Has anyone done this? I notice that many of the gun safes sold in the US are lined inside with material.

I was thinking of using some speaker box carpet/cloth with some spray-on adhesive. Has anyone tried this? If so, what material did you use?

Not sure bud just searched felt on the bay, cost about a fiver, it's one sheet that covers all 3 sides, so I didn't have join lines in the corners, same again for the area in the shelf, it's glued on with some type of contact adhesive from Halfords, doesn't have to be anything special, just as long as its reasonably thick so it takes to the felt instead of soaking into it like thin superglue would.

Got to say, doing it the way I did it takes 2 people, not easy as its a small safe for 2 people to be working on, but very hard to juggle a 2ft wide by 4ft sheet of felt with glue all over it into a 1ft wide gap and holding all the sides at once. Lol

Not sure bud just searched felt on the bay, cost about a fiver, it's one sheet that covers all 3 sides, so I didn't have join lines in the corners, same again for the area in the shelf, it's glued on with some type of contact adhesive from Halfords, doesn't have to be anything special, just as long as its reasonably thick so it takes to the felt instead of soaking into it like thin superglue would.

Got to say, doing it the way I did it takes 2 people, not easy as its a small safe for 2 people to be working on, but very hard to juggle a 2ft wide by 4ft sheet of felt with glue all over it into a 1ft wide gap and holding all the sides at once. Lol

Why didn't you put the adhesive on the cabinet then put the felt on?

Why didn't you put the adhesive on the cabinet then put the felt on?

Contact or impact adhesive needs to coat both surfaces to form a bond, you also need to let it dry before you bring the two parts together. No second chances, it right first time or it stays wrong!

after dinking one of my guns against the side of the cabinet once to often i got fabric from ebay, its what they use to line out vans and camper vans, scrounged some spray glue and it came out lovely.. i was very impressed with it

An alternative for protecting against dings both in and out of the cabinet is to use gun socks. Bit more costly at around £7+ per gun but protects them from knocking against each other as well as against the cabinet and when out of the cabinet as well. Not what was asked I know but an alternative solution to a problem?

Edit - Where did Bakerboy come from!!?? - Ok - that makes 2 alternatives!

Edited by SakoQuad

Find a manufacturer of Display stands for shows, you will find they have thin hard wearing carpet in any colour you can think of and their skips are full of waste/offcuts!

Either that or visit the NEC, Olympia etc (waste disposal areas) and you can find whatever you want...FREE!