a very eventfull day

yickdaz

it started at 11.30 at the grass field with loads of weed growing amongst it, I had already looked at this field twice in the week and each time birds were building up on it , anyhow we watched birds for 10 mins trickle in from 4 directions so didn,t hang around and got set up, we shot the first bird by 12pm exactly

about an hour into it we had a visit from plod someone had complained about the shooting this one officer had tracked across 2 fields to get to us I could him heading our way so I made my way over to him, that's when he said theres been a complaint and armed response are on there way, I quickly diffused the situation by talking fast I said we are pigeon shooting and my shotgun license is the car, so we all walked back to the hide first to get our guns I showed the officer it was empty, as we walked to the car to show my licence 2 more officers were in the farm yard, so basically I said call off the armed response heres my licence, anyhow one of them looked at it and the serial number, seen they were a match, so he radioed through to call off the response unit PHEW that was close to close for comfort, anyhow they just said carry on with what you are doing, but in future inform us when you next shoot here to avoid the hassle.

no sooner had they left and we got back to the hide an irrate dog walker was shouting across the field to us,

now we was 150 yards from this footpath and shooting away from it so I walked over and got a load of abuse from this women, telling me how I shouldn't be shooting on here and near a footpath, I live not far away I,m gonna ring the police, she was really aggressive I tried to keep my cool and did to an extent but ended up putting her in her place by saying we have permission from the farmer this side of the fence is farmland, and that so called public footpath your on isn't one, after telling me yes it is, I just said not according to the farmer it isn,t she wasn,t having it and left threating to call the police, I said go ahead ring them tell them my name if you like I have just spoken to them and they give me the go ahead to carry on.so we basically did

there was some shooting today by the way :lol: and it was very steady for 3 hrs then the old fella had to leave at 3pm but I stayed on till 6.45pm I had a count up at 6pm and the bag was on 90 so I thought right I can make the ton if I stick it out right at the end I needed 4 birds with 6 carts left no pressure then :lol: I hit the next 2 birds very hard but they carried on, brilliant need 4 for 4 now, had a quiet word with meself which went along the lines of don't miss :no: it worked and I managed to make exactly 100 picked and 10 lost, so after 7 hours 2 complaints, sunburn, dehydration, starving, knackered :lol: a good bag to top it off :good:

post-21887-0-21986000-1370720571_thumb.jpg

post-21887-0-19228000-1370720606_thumb.jpg

post-21887-0-24096400-1370720639_thumb.jpg

Great write up yickdaz, like an episode of Emmerdale...just missing a fight in the Woolpack, a barn fire and your long lost gay child turning up.

No wonder you were knackered can't wait for next weeks show.

Good shooting despite all directors cuts....well done

Sadly we live in a world where the `uneducated` will pick up the phone and plod will turn up.

Hats off to plod though. If firearms are mentioned then the SOP is send the boys with guns - they have to. The officer that walked across 2 fields to talk to you exercised some discretion and common sense. He could have just waited for the ARV but he seemed to have an idea what was going on and made the effort to come and speak to you. You did well not to have the chopper turn out as well.

As for the dog walker - well that's a tough one. It's not really about them knowing the law, it's quite emotive. "You can't do that" has no legal basis. What they mean is "I think that what you are doing is against the law". Very hard to be polite and diplomatic in such a situation.

I do however think that as shooters we should try our best at all times to minimise overreactions by plod or public.

Leicestershire Police have an email system where you let them know where and when you are shooting. They log it on their system so when irate dog walker or anyone else rings them up saying someone is shooting in this field they say "yes, we know".

Not keen on the `no legal right to inform anyone` approach. Keeping plod happy is top of my list (just after the landowner). The more we can do to promote a positive and responsible image of shooting the better. Not everyone will like or agree with what we do but that's sadly the way it is.

Well done on the good shooting - always nice to hear a good success story!

Sadly we live in a world where the `uneducated` will pick up the phone and plod will turn up.

Hats off to plod though. If firearms are mentioned then the SOP is send the boys with guns - they have to. The officer that walked across 2 fields to talk to you exercised some discretion and common sense. He could have just waited for the ARV but he seemed to have an idea what was going on and made the effort to come and speak to you. You did well not to have the chopper turn out as well.

As for the dog walker - well that's a tough one. It's not really about them knowing the law, it's quite emotive. "You can't do that" has no legal basis. What they mean is "I think that what you are doing is against the law". Very hard to be polite and diplomatic in such a situation.

I do however think that as shooters we should try our best at all times to minimise overreactions by plod or public.

Leicestershire Police have an email system where you let them know where and when you are shooting. They log it on their system so when irate dog walker or anyone else rings them up saying someone is shooting in this field they say "yes, we know".

Not keen on the `no legal right to inform anyone` approach. Keeping plod happy is top of my list (just after the landowner). The more we can do to promote a positive and responsible image of shooting the better. Not everyone will like or agree with what we do but that's sadly the way it is.

Very well put Hegde, I completely agree with you! :good:

Great write up yickdaz, like an episode of Emmerdale...just missing a fight in the Woolpack, a barn fire and your long lost gay child turning up.

No wonder you were knackered can't wait for next weeks show.

Good shooting despite all directors cuts....well done

tell me about its the most dramatic days shooting I have ever had in 26 years :yes:

your dead right the police were very understanding all they wanted to do is check our tickets and gun serial numbers to see if they matched then told us to carry on, but they did say the next time you shoot this particular field why don,t you just give us a call and let us know your shooting to save any hassle so I nodded and said will do I can assure you of that

now I kept my temper with this woman who was abusive to me she was threatning me with allsorts so I just put her straight on a few things that's all :good:

Edited by yickdaz

Well we both had a good day today but I did not have the hassle and the aggro that you did thankfully.

To shoot a... 'grass field with loads of weeds on it' ...and to get to 100 is exceptional.

My belief is that the pigeons will now come out of hiding countrywide and I hope that others can share our good fortune.

Well we both had a good day today but I did not have the hassle and the aggro that you did thankfully.

To shoot a... 'grass field with loads of weeds on it' ...and to get to 100 is exceptional.

My belief is that the pigeons will now come out of hiding countrywide and I hope that others can share our good fortune.

this particular field is a magnet to them whatever crop is put in, shot 60 in few hours on barley stubble last august I thought it was a cattle feed crop the other day when I looked but the farmer told us its just weed but there is no flower on it that's what threw me,and hes spraying it off tomorrow so we hit bang right it would of been 150 only for the old bill paying us a visit but there just doing there job

Great bag, Daz, despite all the hassle. Why were you running low on cartridges?

I hadn,t been to the cart dealers, and just took what I had left in stock but it turned out that I had just enough for the day because the birds had slowed to a halt right at the end, and virtually stopped coming in :good:

Well done, well deserved Ton , we had day like that some years ago massive hassle. You found them in the week and it paid off. Is it chickweed in the grass as that can be a great crop early season . Well done again Daz.

cheers pc it looked like charlock mainly but there was other weed growing in it I,m not an expert on the weed species to be honest, and never had a bag that size on it before, the field is being sprayed off today to kill it so just greatfull we hit it at the right time :good:

cheers pc it looked like charlock mainly but there was other weed growing in it I,m not an expert on the weed species to be honest, and never had a bag that size on it before, the field is being sprayed off today to kill it so just greatfull we hit it at the right time :good:

I can't remember ever getting a ton on set a side or other weedy fields, had a few 60s and 70s, though. I did shoot 116 on some growing sugar beet that had weeds in it late December one year.