Impressive scope

beanieboy

Was at a local gun shop at the weekend and had the opportunity to look through a really good scope [high end Leupold].........couldn't believe how good it was. I have a somewhat basic Nikko Gold Crown 3-9x42 on my CZ452 .22lr and to be fair it does the trick - the difference in quality though was breathtaking. There is no way I am going to put a £900 scope on my wee gun, however I would be interested to know what is available for a couple of hundred quid that will still be way better than what I am currently using. Some folk say you get better value for money by going for a fixed mag scope as they are simplier by design and are also more robust in the field. I don't however want to go for something with too much fixed mag on a .22lr and would assume around 7 or 8 mag would be about right? It is interesting the chap in the shop was full of praise for the .17 Mach 2, stating that it is cheap to feed and still gives excellent performance. I read somewhere that this little round is becoming a bit more popular.........something to think about. I used to have a HMR but got rid of it as it was too noisy, even with moderator - is the mach 2 just as noisy? - or is it easier to moderate?

I don't know anything about the Mach 2 so i cannot help you with that one. However i can offer my opinion on choice of scope.

I have spent the last 6 weeks looking at different second hand scopes to put on my triple deuce. Being a tight wad i wanted a lot for a little and found myself looking at the Burris range of scopes. Ended up winning a Fullfield E1 off fleabay for 86 quid and the clarity of vision is astounding.

It all comes down to your preference and budget but i can vouch for the Burris range.

iv spent alot of money with my rfd this year. Iv only ever had cheap scopes. My rfd offered me a ziess durlayt for very good money and im over the moon with it. if fitted it my 17 hmr. i had a mount issue with it at first but now its sorted it great. I want another one for my 22 250 when i get it.

I too, like Gaz would recommend a Meopta. I have a 7x50 on my .22lr and its great. Clear as a bell and amazing low light characteristics

Edit, don't know where your based as that bit isn't filled out, but if in the North East your more than welcome to check it out

Edited by jgguinness

The Mach2 is what the .22high velocity round should have been all the time

takes you out to 100yds on zero 150yds point and shoot

doesnt disembowel on site or leave you with an RTA to clear up on rabbits/vermin

I have an HMR too and hardly ever take it out anymore.

plus it is only marginally more expensive to feed than the .22lr!!

cheap and good scopes:

Jap Nikko

Meopta

Leupold

Redfield

Simmons

all good

I too, like Gaz would recommend a Meopta. I have a 7x50 on my .22lr and its great. Clear as a bell and amazing low light characteristics

Edit, don't know where your based as that bit isn't filled out, but if in the North East your more than welcome to check it out

Thanks jg, alas I am from N Ireland so can't take yopu up on your kind offer. Many thanks though for your advice, and indeed to everyone who has been kind enough to respond - if there is one thing I have learned from using this site, it is........how little I know!

I've just put a 7x50 on my .22lr and love it so far, I've also had a couple of variables and a 6x42 and they've all been brilliant.

7x50 Meopta.

I have had one on my .22 for years and have recommended this scope to plenty of people who like me have fitted one and never looked back. Good clear glass, nice fine reticule, good light gathering - what more do you need?

love my meopta 7x50 on 22lr

Just what you are after mate

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?665566-Meopta-7-x-50.

If the seller doesn't want to send it over, then PM me and we can sort something out

Thanks again jg for your kind offer - a friend of mine has given me a brand new Nikko Gameking 4-16x50 lrx to stick on my .22lr. I know it's not close to a Meopa or other top end scopes, but I was reluctant to say no. I still fancy a .17 Mach2 and I will definitely stick something a bit better on top of it. Hopefully the Gameking should be ok for the .22lr???

Guys I'm really interested in a Meopta 7x50 for my .22 after reading this thread.

What reticle are you guys using? I know it's a personal thing but is there one in particular that more people go for?

4B

It has the range finding stuff in the bottom right hand corner, have never used it, but it doesn't clutter the view or draw your eye away in my experience.

tihaw44kzgbu7ls0zo.jpg