Beer Can Chicken

billytheghillie

Just in case any West country old boys want to impress the missus by doing this for Sunday dinnet....open the tin of beer before placing the chicken on top

Saves on a new oven door

Great post.

Don't forget to drink half of the can as well :good:

Hells Bells! Suntanned chucks that lay cans of beer! I want some! :lol::yes::lol:

trust me Frenchy you do want some!! its delicious: open small can of heinie supp half of it then drop some sage and garlic in the can ram it up the chucks chuff and plonk on BBQ for an hour upright its amazing ;)

Remember you need the lid down for the whole cooking process.. don't just stick the bird on an open bbq and expect it to cook..

Classic method... get a stubbie (Heineken is perfect) open and pour away 1/3 contents. Smother the bird inside & out with extra virgin olive oil, Get Schwartz classic BBQ spice/rub and rub a shed load into the outside (and inside as much as is practical) pour some spice into the stubbie too.. Insert in chickens rear and make sure the flap of skin at the neck end is pulled over so it creates a seal (defeats the object if all the steam just escapes when it's cooking.)

I have a Weber gas grill so it sits in there in a roasting tray for 1hr 20mins at around 220c (outside burner only, not the middle one.. the object is to roast so no direct heat) and comes out absolutely perfect with lovely crispy skin! cooking time will vary on a charcoal grill and you will need to keep feeding it to maintain the temp for an hour plus.. :good:

If you are using charcoal I would suggest placing the coals in a circle round the outside of the BBQ so as to avoid direct heat underneath... again, the object is to roast the bird not burn it's ****! :lol:

Edited by Vipa

Remember you need the lid down for the whole cooking process.. don't just stick the bird on an open bbq and expect it to cook..

Classic method... get a stubbie (Heineken is perfect) open and pour away 1/3 contents. Smother the bird inside & out with extra virgin olive oil, Get Schwartz classic BBQ spice/rub and rub a shed load into the outside (and inside as much as is practical) pour some spice into the stubbie too.. Insert in chickens rear and make sure the flap of skin at the neck end is pulled over so it creates a seal (defeats the object if all the steam just escapes when it's cooking.)

I have a Weber gas grill so it sits in there in a roasting tray for 1hr 20mins at around 220c (outside burner only, not the middle one.. the object is to roast so no direct heat) and comes out absolutely perfect with lovely crispy skin! cooking time will vary on a charcoal grill and you will need to keep feeding it to maintain the temp for an hour plus.. :good:

If you are using charcoal I would suggest placing the coals in a circle round the outside of the BBQ so as to avoid direct heat underneath... again, the object is to roast the bird not burn it's ****! :lol:

Indirect heat is the key here - put a biscuit tin/mess tin on the shelf under the chicken and pile the coals around and not in it so it barbecues and doesn't grill

Good God. I started looking for a LANG barbeque and stumbled across this bunch of middle-class tossers...

Check out the video on the Big Green Egg and click on the discover more link to watch all the guffawing Jemimas and Jeremy's...

http://www.biggreenegg.co.uk/discover

I have big green egg envy, but the price is ridiculous - Have used one in the US and they are awesomely good. You can go from gentle pulled pork/brisket temperatures to inferno like tandoor heat and back again in minutes, but it come with a ludicrous price