Screw cut. Good or Bad?

activeviii

Just had these photos sent to me from a friend. He has just had a thread cut by a gunshot in Gloucester. Paid a fair price for it so i would have expected it to be better than this.

whats your thoughts.

he had a few other issues as well but im not going into it. more just asking your thoughts on this cut job. Would you be happy?

post-12773-0-43603300-1373141791_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-47880200-1373141788_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-67805900-1373141760_thumb.jpg

I don't know how gunsmiths work, but that thread looks as if it was cut with a die ( the clue is that there are marks on each thread in line with each other where the die has stopped ). I would have cut the thread on a lathe, very accurate.

The crown looks as if someone has run a countersink into it.

Edited by Catweazle

That thread has not been screwcut it has been made using a die to thread it , If you look on the third picture you can see an imperfection in at least 7 threads from where the die teeth have bottomed out and then been unscrewed ,The deformed face is where the barrel has been machined to diameter for the thread's but the face has not been chamfered prior to threading resulting in the metal deforming.

That thread has not been screwcut it has been made using a die to thread it , If you look on the third picture you can see an imperfection in at least 7 threads from where the die teeth have bottomed out and then been unscrewed ,The deformed face is where the barrel has been machined to diameter for the thread's but the face has not been chamfered prior to threading resulting in the metal deforming.

well explained Andy. :good:

He is going to test it today.

i will let the guy whos gun it is tell you the whole story, unless he tells me to.lol. something about given the gun back in one hand and the trigger in bits in the other and then being charged for a new trigger spring because the shop lost it :/

sums it up nice

Light and pictures, the bore appears off centre, not that unusual.

I have seen better jobs (and worse) but how it performs is the critical factor, and I prefer this type of crown anyway.

attachicon.gif007a.jpg

Best I can do with my phone.

that's not bad to say you screw cut it with a phone :ernyha:

the top photos look like they have been done with a hammer and a blunt chisel

Edited by fruitloop

this is my .243 done by sportsman top jobattachicon.gif2013-07-07 10.28.47.jpg

Thats been done by a professional who takes pride in his work, the other one has been done by a amature who,s in it just for the money and dont give a **** imho

I know which shop did this work, so the best thing people can do is to tell others not to have work done there so this dosent happen to someone elses rifle/gun

Edited by fruity

Thats been done by a professional who takes pride in his work, the other one has been done by a amateur who,s in it just for the money and don't give a **** imho

I know which shop did this work, so the best thing people can do is to tell others not to have work done there so this doesn't happen to someone else's rifle/gun

i couldn't believe the guy lost the trigger spring and then had the audacity to charge the customer for a new one.

the more I'm hearing and see, the more I'm glad i do not use the place.

I'll not be taking my trade there from now on. I've seen worse screwcuts, but not many! Compared to my rifles it's a joke - I can run off better than that on my lathe and I'm a complete amateur!

Is there enough tube to have it recut, or is it right down to minimum as we discussed on the phone? If it's the latter I'd be rather upset!

Just had these photos sent to me from a friend. He has just had a thread cut by a gunshot in Gloucester. Paid a fair price for it so i would have expected it to be better than this.

whats your thoughts.

he had a few other issues as well but im not going into it. more just asking your thoughts on this cut job. Would you be happy?

attachicon.gif2013-07-06 17.57.08.jpg

attachicon.gif2013-07-06 17.56.56.jpg

attachicon.gif2013-07-06 17.56.40.jpg

I wouldnt be accepting that at all!

now thats a pucker job :good:

thats the problem, the posted owns both the guns. one good, one not so good.

I'll not be taking my trade there from now on. I've seen worse screwcuts, but not many! Compared to my rifles it's a joke - I can run off better than that on my lathe and I'm a complete amateur!

Is there enough tube to have it recut, or is it right down to minimum as we discussed on the phone? If it's the latter I'd be rather upset!

I cant take my trade there any more anyway, im banned.lmao.

I believe he has 1" to play with. where is the measurement taken from. From what i have just heard, he it going to ask for a refund and then go to where he got his 243 cut.

What a load of tosh that screw cut is. Without a doubt that has been done with a die, and knowing just how un concentric factory barrels are I would seriously worry about screwing something onto that and discharging it, has got baffle strike written all over it. Where I work its barrel off action, into lathe cut down and thread appropriately. What the hell thread is that by the way? The pitch is massive.