my springer had a siezure today

besty57

Hi all just wondered if any one has had this happen to there dog.

he is nearly 3 and this is the first time ive seen a dog have a fit ,wasn't sure what to do so got her indoors to phone the vet .she said bring him straight up ,he was ok by now but took him anyway

I thought it might be heat stoke ,but she said no it wasn't that,

so she took a blood sample and I wiil get the results tomorrow.

have to tell you im worried sick now.

That sort of thing happened to my Border terrier once a year for five years or so. It was very frightening and at first I took him to the vets after each episode. The vets never could do anything other than charge me £100 per visit.

He has had no seizures now for five years. I hope for your sake that your dog gets through it as mine has done.

My border is epileptic...he was fitting about every three weeks before he started anti-epileptics but since he started them in October last he has only had 2 very minor fits.

It is horrible to see and upsetting but hopefully can be controlled in your case...if it is epilepsy then hopefully you can take some comfort from the fact she is not in pain during the episode.

Fingers crossed for you.

I've had this happen with my springers over the years. It is usually low sugar levels. When they fit it can be very alarming until you see it a few time & this does happen in other breeds.

Carry back the the car & get some glucose drink into them or anything sweet. Keep them quiet & they usually recover in a few mins rearing to go but rest them up the rest of the day.

Allways get a bottle of glucose in the motor just in case.

A couple of lines throw epileptic pups, my oldest bitch has fitted on occassion - vet couldn't be conclusive and I'm not prepared to spend money on neurology tests to prove epilepsy. It happens about once a year, she stays conscious but is fairly unaware of he surroundings and loses the power of her legs, going rigid but not the stereotypical thrashing about. She comes out of it, maybe has another one then gets up and sets off hunting again.

Edited by WGD

Don't want to seem alarmist, but 0fFor the people that have this and the dogs legs go rigid, get the vet to check the heart and blood flow!

My old dog had these symptoms and it turned out it was a heart disorder pushing blood clots into the brain and causing mini-stroke type things.

Eventually he started getting them more often and was swelling as his heart wasn't pushing the blood hard enough and it was pooling in his abdomen.

He went downhill rapidly at the end, but I can't help but wonder whether an earlier diagnosis would have made a difference (he was 16)

Good luck and hope the dogs are fine all :good:

A mate had this with his springer after short walks, spent £600 at the vets on tests to not find an answer. All he came up with was he had changed her food to a better brand, after a year or so of it happening occasionally where she would just keel over and slowly come back he changed her back onto wag and she is 14 now and not a problem since and that must be 4 or 5 years.

Exercise induced collapse is well recognised in spaniels but if the dog was just at home at the time it may be something else so good luck with the vets

I rang the vets and they havnt got the results back yet .there saying it will be tomorrow now,great service ....not

A mate had this with his springer after short walks, spent £600 at the vets on tests to not find an answer. All he came up with was he had changed her food to a better brand, after a year or so of it happening occasionally where she would just keel over and slowly come back he changed her back onto wag and she is 14 now and not a problem since and that must be 4 or 5 years.

Exercise induced collapse is well recognised in spaniels but if the dog was just at home at the time it may be something else so good luck with the vets

hi mate hes been on the same food for about 18 month now,Skinners field&trail

It's fairly common in border terriers apparently, i have two so have been doig abit of reading up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_Epileptoid_Cramping_Syndrome

I spent a year researching CECS...I tried all of the dietary changes stc etc and reached the conclusion that it is a load of rubbish and should be treated as idiopathic epilepsy. Entirely your call, but I am yet to meet a vet that thinks CECS exists and if I hadn't been trying all the suggested dietary changes I could have stopped my dog's fits a year earlier. Edited by oscarsdad

Sorry to hear your dog has fitted. Epilepsy is very difficult to diagnose unfortunately. Firstly, the vet has to check more what it isnt than a straight forward test to prove it is as there is no definitive test for identifying the problem. Certainly I would get as much background on your dogs pedigree, as this could certainly point towards epilepsy if there are a few relatives with this, however breeders will be very cautious to own up to this so ask their peers who will be more than happy to spill. Secondly true epilepsy does usually have a pattern to it, so make notes when your dogs has a fit, what time of day, what he had been doing previously etc etc. A working dog can collapse from hypoglycaemia which is what the chap eludes to when he said give them glucose as this is a simple sugar and breaks down very quickly and brings them round a bit, but this shouldnt really happen in normal circumstances and is suggestive that you are either not giving your dog proper nutrition, or running your dog too hard or he is diabetic. Heat most definitely can cause fitting too, so can poison and so can an imbalance in his metabolism. Hopefully these tests will prove or disprove a lot of problems, but you may find its all inconclusive and best to make a diary of future events in case you have to piece together what the catalyst might be. Hope this helps? Cheers Sue