When you were 16

Pinkella

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At 16 I was still at school - just done 'O' levels and waiting to start 'A'.

Had a 'serious' girlfriend and knew I wanted to be a pilot after 'A's.

Wasnt selected for pilot training (BOAC then) later but went to uni and qualified as a Civil Engineer.

It was a long hot summer, down by the local river, the start of girls - there were plenty and I remember them all by name. It was the year of the first beatles hit - please please me.

If I knew then what I know now !!!!!

At 16 I was still at school - just done 'O' levels and waiting to start 'A'.

Had a 'serious' girlfriend and knew I wanted to be a pilot after 'A's.

Wasnt selected for pilot training (BOAC then) later but went to uni and qualified as a Civil Engineer.

It was a long hot summer, down by the local river, the start of girls - there were plenty and I remember them all by name. It was the year of the first beatles hit - please please me.

If I knew then what I know now !!!!!

Good post... :good:

Similar to others here , left school at 15 and started work straight away in the factory where my dad worked , good wages and I worked night shift , was on good money and used to spend it all on clothes and going to Twisted Wheel/other venues in M/C and of course my scooter .

Started with girlfriend at 17 and still together 44 yrs later , prior to retiring I was a driving instructor and mostly taught young people , some would tell me they would be looking for their 1st job after uni etc in their mid 20's .

They were always surprised when I told them I had been working for 10 yrs by that age , how times change .

Edited by Zulu

Worked in a grocers for £13 something a week, packed it in for a job with a glass engraving company as a junior design artist and lived in digs which cost me £15 per week out of a £25 a week wage. Blew the remainder!

Happy days!

If you don't think the wages were very good, it was 1976, but you're right, they were still ....!

Left school on the Friday after my last exam at 16 years old. I started full time work in a shop that I'd been part time in at school, on the following Monday. Worked out what I wanted to do about four years later!

Paul Hardcastle- N-n-n-n-n-n-nineteen, was number one in the charts when I left.

got expelled from boarding school went back home to kenya had a year bimbling around in the bush,came home and went in the merchant navy qualified as a radio officer did a couple of years at sea and then went back to kenya did some game control for a few years,came back and got married in 81 and still happily married today

mikky

Left school and started tech college on £80 a week, then did day release from my employer working 50 ish hours for £130 a week. Not much of a social life as working most weekends (cheap labor). Then further college for my other qualifications. While doing nvq3. Worth it in the end tho but sometimes wonder what I missed. Also anyone who does a propper apprenticeship and think it's awesome think again. Had mates going out every week earning more stacking shelves. Still at least I've got a trade I suppose.

I left when I was 14 'caus by birthday was in the holidays, started work the week after my 15th birthday and got about £2 per week.

Out of the 300 or so that left that year only about six didn't find work. I heard last week that Birmingham Uni had a success rate of about 10% !

How times have changed.

Saved and bought my first Motor bike for my 16 th a Triumph Tiger Cub Sports.

Now I'm retired.

You just reminded me my birthday is in July so I was only 14 when I finished school no wonder I did not no much as I was a year younger that most of the others in my class.

I'm 23 now, so when i was 16 I was gagging to leave school, I want to work for BAA at first in one of there offices, done door to door sales, tele sales, 2 years carpentry at college, followed by 3 years at college welding and fabricating, went to work in ford for 4 years as a welder fabricator doing all the cranes and steel work and now I'm a fabricator for the army building helicopters and jets. been a roller coaster but always earned money and finally found my feet. Back off to college I sept to start a 5 year course again in aviation engineering and fabrication. I like to think I can do anything I put my mind to although if I could go back in time I would be a farrier or game keeper .

Left school, engineering apprentice, day release to college for City and Guilds. £1.40 per hour when engineering nothing on college days.

:crazy: I was on £1.25 when I served my apprenticeship - and that was erm 12 years ago :eh: things worked well with apprenticeships over the years then eh?

When I left school at 16, I was one of the hard nuts, things were going off the rails big time; drugs,violence the works :yp: A friend of a friend who was in our little circle went down for murder (I did say off the rails) and, to be honest, it sort of woke me up and I decided prison wasn't the life I wanted - it turned me into a big softey to be honest and even now I avoid confrontation - it was quite a shock I guess, to realise that's where my life was heading.

Fortunately, I was pretty wiley back then and managed to avoid any trouble with the police so it's had no impact impact on my life - I can say I'm proud of what I've done so far B)

At 16 I was cleaning dirty bums (adults) and cleaning up sick

At 17 I decided I wanted a change so I started cleaning dirty babies bottys and sick instead

but in Paris instead of Essex, which made a very nice change ;0)

And now am back to Big bums once more

Maybe I give it a few more years

and give the little furry bum holes a try ;0)

xxxxSuzy

Was at sixth form doing A levels in Physics, Geography and Design Tech. Worked in a hotel which I loved, doing functions, weddings etc, the best job I've ever had. Great work team and loads of girls!!

Was paid £2.50 an hour, plus tips and 'cash sales'!! This job helped me get rid of my first car, a Metro (not exactly a babe magnet motor) and I saved up for something better. Folks went mad, insurance was a fortune but hey ho! Loved my Renault 5 GT Turbo, house music, disco biscuits, gym etc etc.

Now drive a slow 4x4, married with three kids, no fast cars and getting fatter!

Edited by jgguinness