Any none hunters (or anti hunters) on here?

I'm just curious. I don't shoot animals nor do I have any intention to. I'm purely into clay pigeon. I wouldn't even go fishing. However, I would never openly or actively go against those that shoot or fish nor do I think they are bad people or doing bad things (except for trophy hunting of large mammals (big game etc) like elephants, lions, bears etc).

Am I a lone voice on here or are there others who share my thoughts?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just curious. I don't shoot animals nor do I have any intention to. I'm purely into clay pigeon. I wouldn't even go fishing. However, I would never openly or actively go against those that shoot or fish nor do I think they are bad people or doing bad things (except for trophy hunting of large mammals (big game etc) like elephants, lions, bears etc).

But don't forget that a lot of hunters are very passionate about wildlife and conservation, I always say to people that say to me that I am cruel...... You go to the supermarket to buy a chicken, because you can't or won't kill it yourself for dinner.....I go to the biggest freerange supermarket, a kill my dinner and then I cook it.

I fully respect your openness on this matter, if everybody thought like you, would be great

As long as there's a tangible reason behind it (food, pest control, crop protection, etc) then all seems ok with me. It's killing for the sake of killing that sickens me. Luckily, that sort of thing is in the minority in the UK, however, it's more prevalent in places like the USA, Canada or Africa.

to each their own I shoot clays because I can control when and how many I shoot I know what time I am going to start and to some extent finish it suits my lifestyle.i do shoot a few pigeon now and again I must admit that in all the years of shooting I have never met anyone who owns a shotgun that is anti live shooting.

While I respect other people's opinions on hunting, I try to explain to them that wild animals have a much better life before they are hunted than farmed ones. Farmed animals are bred for one purpose, in unnatural conditions, and their fate is certain.

Hunted animals live a free and natural life, and their fate is uncertain. They have as much of a sporting chance in life of being hunted by a predator as not being hunted. In the case of large game like deer, there are no natural predators as far as I know - so humans have to keep the population in check.

I have a bit of a problem with trophy hunting.

I eat what I kill or ensure it goes to be eaten. I understand that some animals need to be culled/controlled which aren't going to go into the food chain (foxes being a prime example) and as such I can accept it easily enough, but, hunting lions, leopards, elephant, rhino, buffalo, purely to be able to say "I've done that", while it may contribute to the local economy, not to mention the operators bottom line, I can't see the justification

I eat what I kill or ensure it goes to be eaten. I understand that some animals need to be culled/controlled which aren't going to go into the food chain (foxes being a prime example) and as such I can accept it easily enough, but, hunting lions, leopards, elephant, rhino, buffalo, purely to be able to say "I've done that", while it may contribute to the local economy, not to mention the operators bottom line, I can't see the justification

Totally agree...I have no desire to shoot big game - for a start I don't think you can eat it! I don't shoot foxes myself, but that is because I am fortunate that I don't need to...if my farmer asks me to then I will but he shoots them himself - so I can be a bit bit choosy and only shoot what will be eaten by me, my family or friends and my dogs.

Much rather that than a supermarket chicken which couldn't walk or sat in its own urine for most of its life.

Edited by oscarsdad

Even trophy hunting puts money in to the local economy, not that I would have any desire to take part.

So does tourism, at the moment it would appear that there is still more money in shooting them with a gun rather than a camera, or at least enough to make it economically viable.

As long as there's a tangible reason behind it (food, pest control, crop protection, etc) then all seems ok with me. It's killing for the sake of killing that sickens me. Luckily, that sort of thing is in the minority in the UK, however, it's more prevalent in places like the USA, Canada or Africa.

I take it you aren't too keen on the people on here that are involved in either gamekeeping or shooting pheasants etc?

I take it you aren't too keen on the people on here that are involved in either gamekeeping or shooting pheasants etc?

I don't think so. If the pheasants get eaten then I don't have an issue.

Generally, what is the purpose of a pheasant shoot?

Edited by Animal Mother

Not all trophy hunting is as simple as that. The picture of trophy or "big game" hunting in developing countries is a complex one. Where it is well managed, commercial safari hunting in Africa is effectively culling where tourist hunters pay to do a job that might not be financially feasible without them. In many instances the revenue from hunting not only provides a sustainable local industry but pays for long term wildlife management and anti-poaching programmes in countries which might not otherwise be able to afford them. Furthermore many of the animals hunted are a threat to the lives and livelihoods of local poeple. If they were not controlled in an organised manner very often they would be slaughtered indisriminately by locals. And anything that is edible is eaten. So are a good many species which, by western standards, are not. Generally, Africans are not in the habit of wasting potential food.

Safari hunting can and does play an important part in maintaining a balance between a fragile ecology and a rapidly expanding and extremely poor human population. But its not always well regulated or well coordinated across brders to take account of migratory movements.

Personally, I have no problem with well managed trophy hunting as a concept, (though I detest fenced ranches where animals are released to be shot) but I also struggle to comprehend those people who take no interest whatever in the creature they have hunted beyond putting a bullet in it to say they have done it and tick it off their list. But to be honest there are plenty of paying stalkers like that in this country. And most pro stalkers, like most of the trackers and PHs in Africa, don't like them either, but needs must.

What happens to the pheasants after they are shot?

The vast majority are sold to dealers and then eaten;the remainder are sometimes given to the beaters and are also eaten,but that isn't 'generally' the purpose of a pheasnt shoot. The purpose is to generate revenue from those who like to shoot game birds for sport. The same applies to Grouse and Partridge. The revenue raised by the sale of those shot birds to a dealer is small in comparison to that raised by the sale of let days to guns.

The above applies to commercial shoots,but there are many shoots(ours included)which don't sell any birds, and all are eaten by the guns,beaters or given away to people who would appreciate them.

Edited by Scully

What happens to the pheasants after they are shot?

[i'm getting some very defensive vibes here :lol: ]

No need to get defensive.

I respect everyones views, we are all entitled to our own opinion. The fact you can discuss the matter in an open minded way and respect other peoples actions does you credit.

I think there are plenty of anti, s on here waiting to pounce, I once posted a picture of a head shot rabbit on the airgun bit to show the capability of fac air & got absolutly slated af 3 members to the point I felt I had to remove it & appologise.

Hunting seems to be natural, when younger I did a lot of it, mainly rabbits as pest control and woodies Now I shoot foxes deer and pheasants and woodies when they are a problem.

I need to shoot foxes, since the population is increasing and pheasants are expensive. I shoot pheasants more for the social aspect of being in a beautiful place with like minded people. I shoot deer occasionally because they taste good and are virtually fat free. Woodies when in pest proportions need thinning out and taste special with scrambled eggs when thinly sliced for breakfast. I couldnt and wouldnt shoot big game or large bags of pheasants only those I and the other guns and beaters can eat, Fortunately the other guns on the shoot miss a lot.

You only live once but leave behind more than you take.

Big Game is under threat and the seemingly mindless killing of large numbers of plains game just for the 'pleasure' makes my blood run cold. Still maybe the Yanks have shot all their native species ?

Perhaps you are young? Perhaps you have no recall of being hungry or your family needing food?

There is a history of really hard times as recent as the last century and not just in Britain.

Catching fish and shooting for the table is a way of life and a skill that should be encouraged.

Some of the animal welfare associated around processed meat is disgusting and improper. Maybe you are a vegetarian clay shooter? If you are good luck sir!