dispatching wounded birds?

paddymax123

hi there guys,

one thing that never seems to go right for me is when i have a winged bird is finishing it off without accidentally ending up with its head parting from the body, i was told a to hold the birds head and use the weight of the birds body so break the neck but that just ends up in two parts!

what methods are out there to dispatch a runner quickly humanly and without the result i have been finding?

I used to have this problem and I used to grab the bird and knock its head on a tree or fence post but this method could be very messy ! Then I read a post on here about this topic and read one about pushing your two thumbs into the back of the bird about halfway down thus breaking its spine ! I've used this method ever since and it's proved very effective quick and not so messy. Hope this helps 👍

Dave

I used to have this problem and I used to grab the bird and knock its head on a tree or fence post but this method could be very messy ! Then I read a post on here about this topic and read one about pushing your two thumbs into the back of the bird about halfway down thus breaking its spine ! I've used this method ever since and it's proved very effective quick and not so messy. Hope this helps

Dave

I used to use this method too, just pushing your thumb into its spine between the wings but have recently started breaking their necks by holding the body in one hand and head in the other then tipping the head backwards gently pull until you feel the head and neck start to detach, much like you would neck a rabbit. It's much quicker and cleaner and as long as you aren't too heavy handed everything stays connected.

I used to use this method too, just pushing your thumb into its spine between the wings but have recently started breaking their necks by holding the body in one hand and head in the other then tipping the head backwards gently pull until you feel the head and neck start to detach, much like you would neck a rabbit. It's much quicker and cleaner and as long as you aren't too heavy handed everything stays connected.

Will have to try this some time soon me thinks !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

It may be overkill 🔨+ 🌰 but I have an old Diana .177 air pistol that does the job quick, one in the back of the head = humane dispatch and little damage so they can be used in the pattern without looking like road kill 😲

It's also fair to say that I don't have to do it that often as I can't shoot for toffee and don't get many on the ground 😃😃😃

The old "Whirly Bird" works for me now.

Like you I was pulling heads off.

Now I simply hold the head by thumb and fore finger each side of eyes and gently rotate bird three times full cycle.

you can feel when it gives and that's the trick too this.

Just keep trying you get it in the end, its all in the feel as such.

Will try the thumb in middle of back too, cheers all, helped me too.

lee

I Hold the head of the bird (Pheasant) between index finger and middle finger,let the weight of the bird hang in your hand and then flick it as you would a teatowel aimed at your wifes behind. (that was a polite way of putting it wasn't it) Be careful to keep a firm grip because

the weight of the bird flicking, which is the thing that breaks it's neck will sometimes take it out of your hand, if your not holding it tight enough. :good:

I used to have this problem and I used to grab the bird and knock its head on a tree or fence post but this method could be very messy ! Then I read a post on here about this topic and read one about pushing your two thumbs into the back of the bird about halfway down thus breaking its spine ! I've used this method ever since and it's proved very effective quick and not so messy. Hope this helps 👍

Dave

So you break an animals spine nowhere near the brain, and expect that to be a humane kill?

**** me, you've been paralysing birds so their respiratory system doesn't work and they die from asphyxiation.....

an 18" lenght of 15mm thick re-bar......or bit of a scaffold tube..

Scaffold tube !!

A little OTT me thinks.

Guys, if you're unsure how to do a vital part of what we do, then invite an experienced person along one day to show you how.

I don't want to sound bad but I've taken people out shooting and even when I know they are competent enough in all other aspects, I will not let them shoot alone unless they can dispatch a bird swiftly and humanely.

This really is a very important part of what we do and should be taken seriously. The OP had done the right thing to ask when he isn't sure, but some of the replies are mind boggling.

So you break an animals spine nowhere near the brain, and expect that to be a humane kill?

**** me, you've been paralysing birds so their respiratory system doesn't work and they die from asphyxiation.....

I learned this method of this forum ! And think its very quick also there is alot of others that use it too not just me alone !

I learned this method of this forum ! And think its very quick also there is alot of others that use it too not just me alone !

Apparently it was Archie Coates favoured method too and it does kill quickly but stretching their necks is a better method if done carefully. Certainly better than bashing their heads against a tree because you've left your re-bar at home :ninja::lol:

Either way and taught from who ever its inhumane, I'm not a novice in killing animals, you've simply broken its back, paralysed it, so it can't breathe.

Break their necks at the cervical point or concussion.

Apparently it was Archie Coates favoured method too and it does kill quickly but stretching their necks is a better method if done carefully. Certainly better than bashing their heads against a tree because you've left your re-bar at home :ninja::lol:

Well Archie coats was wrong thinking it was a humane way of killing birds.

hi there guys,

one thing that never seems to go right for me is when i have a winged bird is finishing it off without accidentally ending up with its head parting from the body, i was told a to hold the birds head and use the weight of the birds body so break the neck but that just ends up in two parts!

what methods are out there to dispatch a runner quickly humanly and without the result i have been finding?

have "posted" a pic of a "priest" in "sporting pics"...........personally i just "spin-em"........

Grab hold of the head,I put it between the pad of my thumb and the second joint of my index finger like plucking feathers,then a quick up then down like you are trying to unsnag a garden hose that is caught on something is the best way to describe it,works for me.