Keeping Legal !!!

Mercbaz

So, having been away from shooting for some 25 years, I recently decided to get back to one of my favourite, and sadly missed pastimes, airgun hunting/field target. Now it's not that I'm some kind of 'Ramboesque'/SAS sniper type Wally it's just that I am genuinely interested in ballistics, conservation and the taste for pigeon and bunny pie! :)

So, a couple of weeks ago, I decided to take the plunge and plumped for a nice, nearly new, late BSA R10 .22 Mk1 (The last Mk 1's that had all the prob's sorted......uhummmm!) Anyway, the thing is, in my day, you would check the power of your gun by shooting a fresh copy of your local telephone directory and then count the pages of penetration! Today, however, and thankfully, we are much more scientific and precise. So, to be on the right side of the law, off I pop to my local Gunsmith's for a Chrono Test.

Which is were I come to my point: Your local Gunsmith will chrono your gun, albeit for a small fee, but if it test's over the magic 12ft lb's they will legaly retain/confiscate your gun if you do not have a FAC ticket :no: . You then have the choice of selling the gun, through dealer who retains it, or pay for a detune at their rates and your cost !!! If however it does chrono markedly under you you can then have the choice of having it tuned up at your GM's rates or sell on :whistling: !!!

Just thought I'd share! :good:

welcome back to the sport fella :good: i am also old school but have learnt new ways. my advice is to by a barrel mounted chrono. not only will it help you stay legal, it will help you get the best from your rifle. if your serious about you air rifle hunting then they are a good investment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMBRO-CB625-BARREL-CHRONOGRAPH-AIR-RIFLE-SHOOTING-NEW-/111007735260?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item19d8939ddc

I can't see what the issue is?

If you test it yourself and it's over most people will have to take it to a gun shop to have it turned down anyway, and pay the fee.

Well if the GS test it, and it's over, you haven't got the choice to either mod it yourself or take it to someone of your choice as they will not give it back until the work is done. :no:

Chronoscopes. If you want a good, reliable unit, that calculates FPS and FPE (or MPS and Joules), buy one of these!

http://www.chronoscopes.com

It is cheaper to buy one of these new from the manufacturer than to buy one secondhand on ebay as they usually go for well over £50!

They work, I have caught people who work on guns out with my humble Combro when the battery in their Chrony or whatever needs replacing (just as well as I never left the premises and my gun was chucking pellets out at 12,3 fpe, it was immediately adjusted down further). You will get the usual grizzle guts who claim these are no use. Gonads, tripe and mierde del toro! They are accurate, they do work, they are work having!

For using on an R10 which will either have a shroud or a silencer, it is all the chronoscope you want or need!

welcome back to the sport fella :good: i am also old school but have learnt new ways. my advice is to by a barrel mounted chrono. not only will it help you stay legal, it will help you get the best from your rifle. if your serious about you air rifle hunting then they are a good investment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMBRO-CB625-BARREL-CHRONOGRAPH-AIR-RIFLE-SHOOTING-NEW-/111007735260?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item19d8939ddc

Damn that is unusal he is undercutting the people who make it, usually on ebay they sell for £50 plus!

• 1 month later...
Guest cookoff013

yes they will confiscate the gun.

I asked a cambridgeshire RFD if they could SERVICE my hw97. it was alittle twangy and grouping was all over the shop.

they said they`d service it, put in a new spring and enter it on a FAC register, and i would have to apply for my FAC to get the gun back. i pointed out that that isnt what i asked for. but that was the offer i was given "take it or leave it".

apparently there is no way that an airgun can be turned down in power once it goes above 12ftlbs, i pointed out i wanted a sub 12ftlbs tune. and was told again they would put it on FAC. (essentially stealing the gun, if i cant get FAC in 3 months, they would reclaim the cost of the service, by selling my now FAC rated gun.) the only way i could keep the gun was to pay for the service and never own be able to own the gun. because it is FAC. ???

i kinda pointed out they are quite mad.

I asked a cambridgeshire RFD if they could SERVICE my hw97. it was alittle twangy and grouping was all over the shop.

they said they`d service it, put in a new spring and enter it on a FAC register, and i would have to apply for my FAC to get the gun back. i pointed out that that isnt what i asked for. but that was the offer i was given "take it or leave it".

apparently there is no way that an airgun can be turned down in power once it goes above 12ftlbs, i pointed out i wanted a sub 12ftlbs tune. and was told again they would put it on FAC. (essentially stealing the gun, if i cant get FAC in 3 months, they would reclaim the cost of the service, by selling my now FAC rated gun.) the only way i could keep the gun was to pay for the service and never own be able to own the gun. because it is FAC. ???

strange that, as any airgun can bed in and creep over the limit, so by doing the correct thing you get penalized, seems your gun shop is a little over keen, if you want a service you should take the gun apart and give them the bag of bits minus the spring !!

Guest cookoff013

strange that, as any airgun can bed in and creep over the limit, so by doing the correct thing you get penalized, seems your gun shop is a little over keen, if you want a service you should take the gun apart and give them the bag of bits minus the spring !!

thats completely different, thats a rebuild.

Drifting away from the original topic, I find it bizarre that if my air rifle was found to be over 12ft-lbs it would not be legal for me to continue owning it*, despite the fact I own (legally) a .22LR and a .223 - it's probably a discussion that's been had before but it would be nice if a FAC gave you up to a muzzle energy limit, enabling you to buy anything below that - I'm sure there are some gotchas in there

* without a variation on my FAC

That's ridiculous , what rfd was it that told you that?

IF an airgun is stamped as FAC then it is always FAC or if it is entered onto the FAC registrer as FAC then it can never been removed from the register. However, if you have a sub-12ft/lb gun that goes over due to being in need of a service then all the RFD's I deal with WILL detune the gun to sub-12ft/lb but at your cost. They will only put the gun on the FAC register if the gun can not be detuned.

A chrono is a cheap tool but worth a fortune as it will help you keep your gun legal. My brand new HW100 started off at 11.5ft/lb but after bedding in it rose to 13ft/lb. I took it back and they sent it back to Hull and five days later it was back and shooting at 11ft/lb and stayed constant.

Guest cookoff013

the gun in question was not fac or above the 12ftlb limit. i know this as i had it chrono`d before.

it was twangy and shooting all over the place. all i wanted was a service. NOT an upgrade in power i clearly made this known as i still wanted to use it legitimately in a target setting

it was not FAC or any intention from me to have it put on FAC.

i made that extremely clear.

Guest cookoff013

I don't understand. If you say it wasn't over 12ftlbs, why did they confiscate it?

just to be crystal clear

they didnt confiscate it, they said they "would" if i handed it over for "their" service.

quite simply, i asked for them to service my `97 and replace the spring, still keeping it under 12ftlbs. i was clear as i wanted to still shoot targets.

they said "IF they`d service it, it "will" be registered as FAC. and i would have to apply for my FAC to acquire my airgun.

even though i`d requested it under 12.

- i just went elsewhere.