Problem with a chicken

TaxiDriver

One of my 6 hens is struggling a bit over last couple of days,

She seems to want to sit down alot and just lets her wings droop, She can stand but is reluctant to do so,

she will walk about but very tentatively and not very far before sitting down again and just lets her wings hang loose/drop on the floor

Any ideas from fellow poultry keepers Please?

Have a feel of her crop first thing in the morning to see if it feels squishy when it should be empty. Chooks get whats known as sour crop which is vegetation stuck in the crop and cant be broken down so it turns poisonous. Biggest cause is long grass and they will be very lethargic.

If it is this squirt some olive oil down its throat then give the crop a gentle massage for a little while. You then need to turn the bird upside down to empty the crop,but only for a few seconds at a time otherwise it wont be able to breathe and will die.

Worms or red mite would be my guess. Had chooks quite a few years now and never had one egg bound.

Have you checked for red mite? My coop got hit really bad this year - see my thread for info.

I didn't worm my chooks for the first couple of years, but after losing a lot at around the same age I was advised to worm with flubenvet and it's been great since.

Sadly, once they get to this stage of dropping and sitting they rarely recover - but there are exceptions. I've lost some fabulous chooks over the years and all to things that are preventable :sad1:

if it was mine, i think i would see if any of the others get ill before getting the vet involved, unless they are rear breeds,

as many have said..check for red mite, scaly leg or she may well be egg bound, .. if three days go by and she is no better, i think dispatching is the only right thing to do

good luck and fingers are crossed for you

jasp

Sometimes they just get sick - a tonic after separating from the main flock and castor oil for egg bound condition - as said dry food, antibiotic in the water - try you local farm vet shop - Tamulin is a strong one. Always check for raised scales on the legs - scale mite painful which causes them to lose condition so automatically treat with vaseline. Dont think its red mite as no other showing signs but check coop.

Two days and no improvement it goes. My son favours an axe, I prefer the windmill method as you can feel the neck rupture.

Mites will attack birds MORE that are easier to get so those ones get sick first. You say there's no sign of mites so next thing....

Limping, falling over on one side, reluctance to walk and it could be worms. Been there, got the tee shirt for both!

After those it could b digestive & they don't respond to treatment well when this ill...