worried about selling a gun.

Reeceknight

I have my aya no2 for sale, problem is I seem to be getting some shady calls, one man sounding very foreign and just seemed to act very strange and stressed.

Another keeps texting me and is coming across a bit short and strange, ringing me and not answering my calls then texting me straight after.

We're is the safest place to meet these?

iv sold loads of cars etc but for once am abit worried about meeting a random with a shotgun. First one I have sold

If your selling it , your own home.. make sure someone's there with you another male if possible, never have the gun on show and check there license and have a bit of banter before showing them the gun , you no What a cert looks like,check pic address. Ask them where they live over the phone stick in the back of your mind then check it with the cert ask them which way they drove etc, little things like this also ask them what guns they own at the time then see if these are on there cert when they arrive, I might be a bit ott if no one else does this but I have always done it.

Never get gun out before your happy there genuine

Ps if there wearing a balaclava when they knock on the door don't answer it :). :). :)

Edited by delburt0

I have my aya no2 for sale, problem is I seem to be getting some shady calls, one man sounding very foreign and just seemed to act very strange and stressed.

Another keeps texting me and is coming across a bit short and strange, ringing me and not answering my calls then texting me straight after.

We're is the safest place to meet these?

iv sold loads of cars etc but for once am abit worried about meeting a random with a shotgun. First one I have sold

Sounding foreign is obviously because he is, often they also sound stressed simply because they've not held such conversations before, I get a few such calls myself but when they turn up to see the cars they look and act completely normal. But I agree selling guns can be quite distressing not knowing who's going to turn up on your doorstep. I also agree with others who have mentioned meeting at a gun club and asking for FAC details beforehand.

I sold a gun recently and asked the guy to bring his driving as well as gun licence so I could check the photographs. If you get the full name and address then you may be able to check their validity with your local firearms authority ?!

Meet at your local clay shooting ground

+1 thats what i did also have plenty of people around who know guns and certificates...........

Meeting in a public (gun friendly place) and asking them to produce certificate etc before you take gun from car is a good idea.

Edited by HDAV

I like the idea of the clay club as I know a few lads there and workers and can also use it as an excuse for a few of is to go shooting, one last thing with the length of pull, do idea sure to the end of the side of the stock or do I measure to the centre of the back face (bit that's tucked in your shoulder)?

Any help would be appreciated again lads! :) nice one.

I sold a rifle to a chap off here . I met him at a police station 1/2 way . They let us use an interview room to do the deal as the Sargent said he would prefer that to sending armed response to a car park or lay-by

Any genuine buyer wouldn't be put off by that suggestion

I like the idea of the clay club as I know a few lads there and workers and can also use it as an excuse for a few of is to go shooting, one last thing with the length of pull, do idea sure to the end of the side of the stock or do I measure to the centre of the back face (bit that's tucked in your shoulder)?

Any help would be appreciated again lads! :) nice one.

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=45105 should help, meeting at a clay ground is beneficial to buyer as they can try the gun works etc (also can buy carts etc there) my advice is leave gun on car tell them to call you once they arrive in clubhouse keep your phone on silent and that way if you dont like the look of them you can not answer lol....

if they are buying cash its a secure place to deal the deal and once you have seen cert etc you can go fetch the gun from your car.... if the buyer is happy they can get the cash while you hol=d onto the gun and once happy with the payment you can fill in their cert.

I would keep the gun secure until I was happy with them, getting them to send a picture of themselves, SGC/FAC, Driving licence or passport to me before they arrived to do the deal as well as current address / tel.

If they are genuine then they will understand the security concerns and have no problem with it.

I sell a lot of guns and meet a few nutters along the way

If you are at all concerned ask for a scan of their SGC/FAC to be emailed before you give out your address, this normally weeds out the idiots straight off.

Once you have a scan you can compare the photo before you open the door, write down car details if you are still concerned.

I bought two dozen deactivated pistols that had been stored in a damp garage at auction, once I had reblued them all I put them on Gunstar and the lunatics that emailed were incredible! Most wanted details of how they were deactivated or how to reverse it etc......

No genuine buyer would have a problem mailing a copy of their cert (clearly marked copy) but someone questionable will quickly lose interest

Be careful

Rich

I have recently sold two guns through Pigeon Watch/Gun Watch, One within 24hrs of advertising, the other within 48hrs.

Both buyers were genuine and a pleasure to deal with. Go with your instinct, if you are not happy selling privately, sell through an RFD.