Oh the Yanks are at it again...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is all pretty revolting.

Many years ago I was 'head hunted' to run the 'sporting' side of a Gentleman's Club in one of the New England States. This club was for 'old money' and it was out in some of the best countryside imaginable. The club house was very plush and the members generally arrived by helicopter. Shooting was the most popular passtime by far.

When I arrived I asked to see a 'game shoot' in action and I was driven down to the river where there were several guns lined out along the river. Three hundred yards up river I saw a huge ramp up which mallard were being herded before finally being pushed off the top. Many simply plummeted into the water, others that flew were unceremoniously shot down.

When I got back to the Club I simply packed my bags, told the Chairman that I was appalled to see the 'game shoot' in action, and left.

Meh seem just as bad over here just swap the hi vis for tweed and semi for sbs. Many a hypocrite on this forum

very true , it certainly doesn't look nice but the outcome of the birds are just the same as on a driven shoot in the uk and that's the main concern of the antis .

So.. Breeding pheasant and then releasing them into a known area when they are mature, then getting a load of people and dogs to force them Ito the air to be shot for fun

Vs

Breeding pheasant and then releasing them into the air to be shot for fun.......

Personally, I can't see much difference other than the American way misses a step out!

Bit of hipocrasy going on here me thinks!

Don't have any issue at all with pheasant shooting but not my bag, however, criticising someone else's methods, when the process is in effect the same.. I.e. breeding animals with the sole intention of shooting them for fun, is a bit rich!

Understood, but it's just not cricket.

Just miss out another step, shoot them in the crates?

So.. Breeding pheasant and then releasing them into a known area when they are mature, then getting a load of people and dogs to force them Ito the air to be shot for fun

Vs

Breeding pheasant and then releasing them into the air to be shot for fun.......

Personally, I can't see much difference other than the American way misses a step out!

Don't have any issue at all with pheasant shooting but not my bag, however, criticising someone else's methods, when the process is in effect the same.. I.e. breeding animals with the sole intention of shooting them for fun, is a bit rich!

Understood, but it's just not cricket.

Just miss out another step, shoot them in the crates?

At the end of the day we are not discussing cricket..

The abhorrent part is bringing a living creature into the world for the sole purpose of then killing it for fun... Frankly, at that point, the method employed to put the birds in front of a gun is irrelevant.

Edited by Vipa

Meh seem just as bad over here just swap the hi vis for tweed and semi for sbs. Many a hypocrite on this forum

See your point, not seen anything like that though. I have heard of partridges being released on shoot days but never out of a crate and thrown in the air.

It would produce some higher birds of our little syndicate not sure we could get a cherry picker through the wood though.

Vs

+1, i have the same views on this as you

It's not even remotely the same as pheasant / game shooting in this country, a pretty big step is being missed in that video. Pretty big point being missed too by anyone who can't see the difference or understand the repulsion of people who themselves shoot !

They are hurling pheasants up into the air by hand over waiting guns with multi capacity shot guns :|:sad1: .

Edited by Hamster

This is disgusting. I can agree there are some parallels between this and a driven shoot here, but the big difference for me is the amount of stress the birds are put through (which equates to cruelty in my book).

Here, the pheasant thinks "what's the noise, oh dear, there's a dog coming I better leg it, oh, he is still coming I will fly off" and the possibly the bird gets shot if he chooses the wrong direction to fly and if the there is a capable gun.

There, the birds are caged and therefore stressed and then they are unceremoniously released or worse, thrown towards the waiting guns. This must carry a lot more stress and discomfort and therefore in my book is much much worse than the British way.

I am not the biggest fan of driven shoots, I would rather work for my quarry, but there is a clear difference in welfare either side of the Atlantic.