Best headphones?

markm

Depends what you need them for, you cant go wrong with a decent pair of Allen & Heath or Pioneers for studio work or home entertainment (overheads of course)

If you plan on using a pair outdoors or whilst in the gym etc then in-ear would be the best choice Sennheiser make some decent sets.

Julian Richer is a long standing supporter of the LACS.

Your choice, but I will not put money in his pocket.

Just get down Richer Sounds and have a go on them.

I'm a Sennheiser fan - I can't but help think that with all the other brands you are paying for marketing.

Do not do any of the Beats by Dre, Marley or any other "sponsored" set - They suck hugely and you will be very disappointed. Sennheiser offer great sound at a very good price - Only downside is that their cabling can be weak and if you give 'em a tug, the internal wiring can break.

As has been said, Richer Sounds are great, regardless of their affiliations and you will end up with a set of excellent phones that are new, but have been out for a couple of years and at a knockdown price. I had a set of Denon off them that were absolutely excellent - until my Spaniel ate the ear pieces on both sides!!!!

Only thing i might avoid would be anything that requires batteries for either noise cancellation or bass boost as it's guaranteed that you'll leave the battery on and it will have run flat next time you use them.

Do not do any of the Beats by Dre, Marley or any other "sponsored" set - They suck hugely and you will be very disappointed. Sennheiser offer great sound at a very good price - Only downside is that their cabling can be weak and if you give 'em a tug, the internal wiring can break.

Agree with that. The higher-end stuff have replaceable cables. I have some old HD495's which I use on the PC and are really quite nice considering how little I paid for them. Every so often the cable goes wonky and I lose volume in an ear. No problem - just buy a spare online. If you open up a Sennheiser headphone, the design is lovely - you can see it was made with replacing broken or worn out parts in mind.

I am a Shure fan and my wife is a Bose user. We both used the Shure in ear noise cancelling ones (SE 210 and 220 I think). Both eventually got left on airplanes after 6 years of hard use. Mine were like new still, even after 6 years. The sound quality was great and the fit was very good providing you tried the different included options (3 sizes of each silicon, foam, and rubber). I would get another pair in a heartbeat (they are on my christmas list). What I really liked is that they had a heavy duty cord that didn't tangle, kink, or break. Very heavy duty for traveling a lot and constantly using them.

After loosing hers, my wife got a pair of the Bose IE2s. They are really nice also and I would consider them myself. I need to use hers a bit more, but I think they sound better than the shure even. They also integrate (very well) with the iPhone and other smart phones if that appeals to you.

She also has a set of Bose quiet comfort 2. They are on top of the ear (not over) and electronically noise cancelling. The noise cancelling aspect on a plane is amazing. Just turn them on with no music and all of the plane noise goes away. You then don't need to have the volume as loud plus you get the crispest sound of any of the headphones. I don't like them because I don't like on/over ear headphones. However for pure sound quality they are tops for me.

I think all fit in your price bracket, though my price calibration on these is in dollars since I get this kind of stuff in the states.

thanks,

rick