late payment charge...

leeds chimp

Think I know the answer but its really got my back up...and want to have a rant as this place is a licence to print money

My lad goes to nursery and we get a bill on the 1st of each month or thereabouts for the rest of that month...and needs to be paid by the 15th which we have done except once in over 3 years....and when we advised them why they said dont worry not a problem at all...

Paid Octobers bill on the 16th October as I did not have chance to sign the cheque earlier due to work and a few other things....so one day late..

Got Novembers bill and they have put a Late payment charge on for one day late.....lass went in with the invoice and also a cheque for the amount for that month less the charge....they took the cheque and nothing was said...

Got home from work now and got a very arsey letter from them saying I/We owe them this 5% late payment charge as per our agrreement with them....

I remember reading that soemthing about late payment charges but this is business to Indiv .....

If it's in your agreement then they've probably got you by the short n curlies.

Course you could tell them to shove the charge and the nursery place but chances are they have a whole wad of kiddie winks waiting for a place to come up.

I does seem harsh from your perspective, but they're a business and all businesses need their customers to pay up on time, just as they need to pay their dues

My daughter in law owns a couple of children's nurseries and applies the same rules.

Terms and conditions are signed up to before any child starts in the nursery and they stick to them.

It might seem harsh on the odd occasion, but multiply it by 100 parents and it becomes a pain.

It may not be possible, but i would give them notice and find another nursery, if as you say you have been paying on time for the last 3 years i would tell them to swivel. its disgusting !!! pure greed

Cashflow is the main reason for businesses going bust. Anything a business can do to encourage customers to pay on time means the business can pay its own bills on time and not incur charges itself. As has been said, get a few customers paying late and that's a lot of money outstanding.

Christmas is a favourite month for customers to pay late.

I agree it's harsh if usually paid on time but it's the same for everyone.

Business sense, not greed. :)

Edited by KFC

Cashflow is the main reason for businesses going bust. Anything a business can do to encourage customers to pay on time means the business can pay its own bills on time and not incur charges itself. As has been said, get a few customers paying late and that's a lot of money outstanding.

Christmas is a favourite month for customers to pay late.

I agree it's harsh if usually paid on time but it's the same for everyone.

Business sense, not greed. :)

Exactly what he says :good:

You try waiting for people to pay what they owe for a service you've provided

Think you might find all nurseries apply the same late charge within their T&C's, the 2 we've used certainly have. Could be worth your while smiling sweetly, taking in a box of roses and playing the 'its a first time card'.

Direct debt probably won't help you, as the charge will not be the same month on month, due to the different number of weeks in each month! Though if you use internet banking, set up a standing order to them, once the bill is received, you don't need to worry about signing cheques and can pay it asap.

Hope this helps.

Its a civil matter and not a legal one-if you want you can explain that the charge is "unreasonable" and you are happy to meet them in a small claims court-they must prove that they have suffered financial loss by your payment being late which is going to be difficult.

If you are going to give advice please know what you are talking about, they will have every right to persue for a county court order if it was in the contract signed,and then the op will incur further costs.

I say this as a HCEO with at least three writs in the box beside him for nurserys who have obtained the county court order and moved it to the high court.

And my wife is also the manager of a nursery and the contract you sign at the start lays out all the terms and conditions.

Now after saying all that,if the op had a friendly chat with the manager and owner explaining his mistake and asking for some slack the chances are they will let it drop,speaking to the girl on the desk is no good as she is just doing as she is told.

24 hours late, i don't know what your all going on about... cash flow this and cash flow that, you will all moan when a bank nails you for messing up.

5% for an oversight paid by the very next day, they could of waved that for sure.... and the talk of good business sense is just rubbish. yes that rule should be there to protect the business but charging your loyal customers like this will long term damage you.... and that's a fact!!!#

This is companies Putting greed before there clients...

But after 3 years of paying on time you think they'd let you off one.

There's business sense and common sense.

To be honest that is how I would tend to look at it, business is business but better rapport can be maintained if pedantic application of such rules is tempered with a bit of common sense. I've had the same with the bank where I hold both a business account and a personal one, I transfer from the former into the latter as required but once missed the mark and ended up effectively overdrawn for a couple of days. When I got the next statement it included a ridiculous amount of interest for those days so I just phoned them and asked whether anybody had taken the time to check the balance in my business account before applying the charge. It was refunded on the next statement.

24 hours late, i don't know what your all going on about... cash flow this and cash flow that, you will all moan when a bank nails you for messing up.

5% for an oversight paid by the very next day, they could of waved that for sure.... and the talk of good business sense is just rubbish. yes that rule should be there to protect the business but charging your loyal customers like this will long term damage you.... and that's a fact!!!#

A fair point Lg1, but, what if a lot of the customers who had agreed the terms keep slipping up by one or two days, then the situation needs addressing.

A fair point Lg1, but, what if a lot of the customers who had agreed the terms keep slipping up by one or two days, then the situation needs addressing.

Yea m8, and thats why i think the rule should be there... for repeat offenders and late payers who pay a few days late... not the guy who has paid on time for 3 years and has made an oversight... every one can make a mistake from time to time.... even greedy banks will give you a little grace to bring your account back in to line before they will charge you.

For me this would make me feel un-valued, and customers feeling like this is a bad news for business... Personally i think its poor business judgment and not a clever one bud..

Pay up, you failed to keep to your part of the deal!

If you had contacted them and made arrangements to pay late with their agreement fair enough, but you didn't!

sorry for being stuck with the police due to work for nearly 4 hours and was not able to get there in time....... :/

:lol: :lol: to be exactly it was 9am the very next day that it was paid

Spoke to them this morning when I dropped him off and they said they will speak to the manager/owner but they are pretty sure it wont be taken off

Edited by leeds chimp

sorry for being stuck with the police due to work for nearly 4 hours and was not able to get there in time....... :/

:lol: :lol: to be exactly it was 9am the very next day that it was paid

Spoke to them this morning when I dropped him off and they said they will speak to the manager/owner but they are pretty sure it wont be taken off

So if it is likely to happen again put your house in order and make payments via the direct debit scheme rather than bemoan the providers of a service you need over YOUR late payment!

Personally I wouldnt be all that happy and I would ask for it to be waived. If I had to pay it then so be it, after all it was you that didn't adhere to the Ts&Cs.

From a business perspective I would waive your first offence and charge accordingly thereafter.

I reckon children are queuing up for nursery places...so one in one out unfortunately!

Its a civil matter and not a legal one-if you want you can explain that the charge is "unreasonable" and you are happy to meet them in a small claims court-they must prove that they have suffered financial loss by your payment being late which is going to be difficult.

I'm not sure that is correct as this charge is probably not a charge made as a penalty - in other words for your breach of contract. If he is contractually obliged to pay it by the 15th then you may be correct. However, it sounds as though he isn't contractually obliged to pay it by the 15th. If that is the case then it simply means that he can choose to pay it after the 15th but at the higher rate.

J.