Views on multi choking a fixed barrel

terrior

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know much about choked best thing to is check your shooting pattern using some white card an setting it up a diff distances.When I first started shooting I always for some reason used a tight choke and couldn't understand why I was missing close birds.then a mate checked the pattern.It was effectively like throwing a tennis ball at close birds that's how tight the pattern was.

Guest cookoff013

Hello

I know the principle how chokes work.

What I mean is , I've heard that you could ruin a smooth nice patterning fixed gun by having it choked.

Are there any views for or against.

Cheers

That is true. But choking isn't about what restriction you have. Its about shells and distance too. The choke never struggles at close range, you just have problems at close range.

Hello

I have a miroku mk38 30" fixed full choke , which I use for my game shooting.

It works well with long shots but seem to struggle with closer shots.

What are people's views of after market chokeing,

a good thing or would I spoil the gun.

Cheers

I think a fixed choke will patern better than a milti choke, why not just open it up to 1/2 and have a go.

That is true. But choking isn't about what restriction you have. Its about shells and distance too. The choke never struggles at close range, you just have problems at close range.

I agree , if you are struggling with a tight choke at short range its simply that you are not shooting accurately enough due to the tighter pattern , that said no one wants their game pre minced in the feather , but how close is close ? and at what range do you normally expect to shoot ?

I agree , if you are struggling with a tight choke at short range its simply that you are not shooting accurately enough due to the tighter pattern , that said no one wants their game pre minced in the feather , but how close is close ? and at what range do you normally expect to shoot ?

Yes that is exactly what I mean . With a tight choke it's embarrassing hitting a bird at 20-30 yards . So getting the gun multi choke I can make better choices.

But don't want to ruin the gun by doing that .

Cheers

Leave the chokes as they are and shoot the birds when they are further away.

Not always possible though if you are shooting drives in woodland rides etc.

Rough shooting yes .

I would not consider a 30 yard bird to be too close even with full choke , they should still be edible at that range

I have a MK38 which i sent to Teague and had long chokes fitted in September , If Mr Digweed can have two sets of barrels I figured I could have two sets of chokes

to the same effect , so I got Sk and 1/4 for sporting and 1/2 and 3/4 for DTL or a combination to suite the day i.e 1/4 and 1/2 . I'm well pleased

With the work given the gun was 3 months old when it was done Teague really does a hell of a job . ....

Get yourself out with a few different types of shell first. Choke isn't the be all and end all, if your missing close birds it might as easy be your over the top of them or giving too great a forward allowance. Its hard to speak badly of fixed 1/4 and 1/2 for 95% of game shooting though personally once I had looked at the former issues and choke was PROVEN to be the issue I should just get them opened out as there is too much worry about choke in general and way too much swapping

I have owned more multi-choke guns than you can point a stick at and still own one. However, I shoot with a fixed choke - 3/8 and 3/8.

It was originally a trap gun 3/4 and full - had it opened up by Nigel Teague. It does me for close up or distance. I also have started to use skeet shells for most sporting targets, which has seen my scores improve. I don't know whether that is down to using the skeet shells, using the (Webber supplied) excellent Fiocchi shells or keeping my head on the stock more, but is works.