Vintage Airsporter refurb

FalconFN

I bought an old and very battered BSA Airsporter a while ago with the intention of giving it a full refurbishment, but work and life got in the way so I've only just finished it, well almost finished it.

It is a MK1 version without scope rails and the serial number dated it to between 1956-58. It was in very poor condition with a grimy, dented and water stained stock, and an action that was rusty and pitted with no bluing visible and no paint on the trigger block.

post-20802-0-97475300-1388012709_thumb.jpg

post-20802-0-00351300-1388012721_thumb.jpg

After stripping, repairing, filling and oiling the stock it turned out to be quite a nice piece of walnut, but the action was so bad, particularly the cylinder, that it took ages to get it back to smooth metal. There are still some deeper pits that couldn't be removed but on the whole it is now pretty smooth. I re-blued it with Klever browning which is very quick and simple and gives a good deep black/brown colour - seems pretty hard wearing too. I also resprayed the trigger block and then baked it on so hopefully it should be more wear resistant. Just need a new front stock bolt and it's done.

post-20802-0-42667700-1388013012_thumb.jpg

post-20802-0-56621800-1388013023_thumb.jpg

I was impressed by the build quality of this old-timer and as it only needed TLC I haven't replaced any of the original parts (front stock screw being the exception), hopefully it will keep going for years to come.

Top darts mate and a jobe well done. Nothing more satifying than an air rifle refurb. Just finished an old BSA Meteor for my nephew and really enjoyed working on it.

Cheers, it's great when you've got time but I've had little of that recently. I still have an HW35 in the same condition to do so that'll keep me busy for a bit.

A fantastic transformation there. How did you get the stock like that? What did you fill the dents with? Would be great to hear more about how you did it.

Thanks.

After a lot of research - mainly on PW, I started by giving it a good wash with wire wool and white spirit to get the oil and gunk off then steamed out any dents with an iron, filled the holes where studs had been and glued the small crack, I then gave it as light a sanding as I could get away with - I started with 120 grit then 240, 400 and finally 600. I then washed with warm water, dried and lightly sanded again with 600, I did that again before finishing it with several coats of Tru-oil, knocking back with fine wire wool after each coat had dried. After the final coat I lightly rubbed it with wire wool again to dull down the high gloss finish to a nice soft sheen. It's the 4th stock I've done and although many don't like Tru-oil I think it is a very good product that is easy to apply, I may try boiled linseed for the next one but the tests I have done don't seem as good.

Just waiting for the stock bolt and I'll probably sell it to help fund a new rifle that I'll use solely for NV - plus I don't have as much storage space as johnbaz must have! I'll start the HW35 in the New Year too.

Edited by FalconFN

I bought an old and very battered BSA Airsporter a while ago with the intention of giving it a full refurbishment, but work and life got in the way so I've only just finished it, well almost finished it.

It is a MK1 version without scope rails and the serial number dated it to between 1956-58. It was in very poor condition with a grimy, dented and water stained stock, and an action that was rusty and pitted with no bluing visible and no paint on the trigger block.

attachicon.gifab3.JPG

attachicon.gifab2.JPG

After stripping, repairing, filling and oiling the stock it turned out to be quite a nice piece of walnut, but the action was so bad, particularly the cylinder, that it took ages to get it back to smooth metal. There are still some deeper pits that couldn't be removed but on the whole it is now pretty smooth. I re-blued it with Klever browning which is very quick and simple and gives a good deep black/brown colour - seems pretty hard wearing too. I also resprayed the trigger block and then baked it on so hopefully it should be more wear resistant. Just need a new front stock bolt and it's done.

attachicon.gifab4.JPG

attachicon.gifab5.JPG

I was impressed by the build quality of this old-timer and as it only needed TLC I haven't replaced any of the original parts (front stock screw being the exception), hopefully it will keep going for years to come.

I am sure I have the stock bolt here in my box of bits, give us a pm if your still looking. Mk1 version has the self opening tap, works when you cock it automatically

Good god, that is a very nice transformation....... i have been thinking of searching out a BSA Mercury or Airsporter S and doing similar, how ever good or bad they are if you need to refurb them then really you have to go the whole hog and go back to bare metal and strip the stock etc so old or newer i guess it does not really matter.

Just got to find one !

Excellent job and another gun saved for the next generation.

I did a simular job with an early 60's Webley Falcon. It had a standard beech stock that was damaged and varnished but after a lot of work I think the Try oil has made it look decent.

gtno.jpg

Edited by Livefast123