People working full time leaving dogs at home...

houlsby

I'm considering getting a border collie to train and use when out shooting.

However, I work 10h 5 days a week... But the missis is at home for 3-4 days, and we have a 3 year old boy....

We had springers growing up and they were bloody mad/bonkers/crazy even tho they got walked, they still got bored and chewed everything in site when left during work hours, and obviously I don't want to end up with a border collie running riot and driving itself mad.

Just wondering if anyone actually leaves there dogs at home?

'Can't imagine anyone recommending doing this with a puppy. It will be a disaster. An adult dog on the other hand will be able to cope provided it gets exercised and attended to at appropriate intervals. Also. 'not sure I've ever seen a border collie on a shoot? They are very intelligent and therefore need to be occupied. There are a lot of Labradors for good reason :yes:

Regardless of leaving it I cannot understand why if you want a dog to take shooting you do not want a gundog breed rather than a collie , which you will try to train to do something it is just not designed for , if you think springers are bonkers then a collie is going to be even worse IMO

Edited by fenboy

I have to leave my 2yr old collie on his own during the day, it's not ideal but he has lots of toys and it doesn't affect his behaviour, although he does occasionally open my post.

Edit: I wouldn't leave a pup alone for more than a few hours at a time though.

Edited by harris2006

I have to sometimes leave my dog 8-10 hours a day. I was concerned so set up a web cam to monitor from my office and he sleeps all day. If I work from home, he just sleeps all day too!!!! I think it is breed dependant, he is a British bulldog and they sleep a lot!!!

I have to sometimes leave my dog 8-10 hours a day. I was concerned so set up a web cam to monitor from my office and he sleeps all day. If I work from home, he just sleeps all day too!!!! I think it is breed dependant, he is a British bulldog and they sleep a lot!!!

I must have an exception to the rule !! Mine is charging round right now chasing his ball round the lounge and thats after having had 2 fairly longish walks today, 1 this morning and 1 about an hour ago. But to be fair he is only a year old so still a pup and if we are out I think he just sleeps rather than trashing the house. Lovely natured dog though.

You need a wire vizsla like mine mate - he will spend all day asleep if he's not out working. He's quite the laziest dog I've ever known and is laid (snoring) on me again as I write this!

Collies aren't good at being left all day at all, plus I've never met one that isn't gun shy.

I've only met one collie that was apparently train to the gun, and its owner turn up to the shoot on the foreshore on a cold morning in jeans, a t-shirt and trainers!

My experience of collies is that they require even more attention than spaniels. A friend of mine has a collie, she left it alone for a few minutes in the kitchen and it had raided the bin and got its tongue stuck in a tin, it now has part of its tongue missing!

Quite funny is this, the reason I'm looking at collies is because one of my farmer mates has one and I'm forever stopping to say hello to It. When speaking to him about them he really rated his, as its a proper working dog and I see him rounding sheep up with him, and he suggested one as a gun dog... Which I also thought was strange seeing as iv never seen ne on a shoot!

Are they any better when crossed with a springer?

The thing I don't want, is a dog that's going to be a nite mare to look after and a nite mare when it's left alone.. I'm not so fussed about a breed.. Other than it has to be collie/springer sized and not a lab (no offence lab owners, but they aren't for me..)

Not much of a dog man myself but have you considered the option of buying a trained dog there must be a lot that the trainers fell would make a good dog in your situation having had a collie I wouldn't recommend its suitabiaty with shooting and young kids

Best of luck with your choice

Of

Hadn't thought of that.. Can anyone elaborate on this?

My collie was brilliant at herding sheep

It was always dirty (not a house dog )

Very easy to train

However it herded everything kids included

I moved on

Now my dogs are in house gun dogs pets 300 days a year 65 days shooting dogs

Grandchildrens playthings ect

Try a golden retriever

Good house dog

Good loyal companion

Good enough gun dog

( they do carry a bit of mud )

My current dog cocker

Only my view hope it helps

All the best in your quest hope you get a good one

Of

If you want a gundog buy a gundog despite what you farmer mate says a collie is unlikely if not certainly not going to make a even half decent gundog .

The best thing springer size will be a springer , get one from good working lines and train / get it trained well and it will be nothing like the bonkers / crazy things that you have experienced in the past .

The very fact you were thinking of a collie perhaps shows that you need to do a bit more researching before taking the plunge , dont rush into it .

Also think about what sort of shooting you will be doing as different breeds are better suited to different sorts.

A decent trained dog will cost you at the very least £1000 +

If you want a gundog buy a gundog despite what you farmer mate says a collie is unlikely if not certainly not going to make a even half decent gundog .

The best thing springer size will be a springer , get one from good working lines and train / get it trained well and it will be nothing like the bonkers / crazy things that you have experienced in the past .

The very fact you were thinking of a collie perhaps shows that you need to do a bit more researching before taking the plunge , dont rush into it .

Also think about what sort of shooting you will be doing as different breeds are better suited to different sorts.

A decent trained dog will cost you at the very least £1000 +

Yeh I'll not be buying a dog for at least the next 3-6 months... Obviously cost doesn't matter.. I'd rarther buy the correct dog rarther than be stuck with the wrong one for 15 years.

Just a bit concerned with springers as the ones we had were bat **** crazy and ended up (both, one a very very expensive kc show?dog, the other one a local accident breed) with large lumps on their bellies which ended up with the vet putting them down a few years apart.

Ill carry on looking anyway guys, cheers

Sounds like you need a springer or cocker.

If you can wait till autumn next year there are normally a load of these dogs which trail people don't want for sometimes minor reasons like they bought four dogs and kept the best one.

These dogs usually six months or more old have basic training( sit stay come etc) and are used to being kennelled.

Prices vary some only want the price they paid for the pup.

Can't see a border collie going into cover or retrieving

Must admit very glad u seen some sense and stopped thinking about buying a collie as a gundog, as some one else said may well be gun shy also may have very litle retrieving drive and probably a hard mouth. Couldn't think of a dog less suitable

I know u have said u don't want a lab, but i my opinion everyones first dog should be a lab. They are just so versatile and relatively easy to train and very forgiving when u make a mistake with training, so very easy to sort any mistakes.

U learn so much from them and still end up with a decent shooting dog, which is not always the case with other breeds of shooting dogs as a first 1.

While there will be plenty of FT rejects knocking about that will make good shooting dogs, the problem with them is they will be very well bred in FT lines so probably a bit 'hot' and u will have to watch them and be on top off them all the time, if they sense ur not paying attention will be off like a shot, even the failed ones can be real pocket rockets

I would try to source a dog by word off mouth that actually works (plenty are advertised working that don't) and just get a more old fashioned working bred spaniel should be far easier to train and hndle than a very well bred FT dog.

I think most gundogs sleep all day as they are so contented, they generally get enough walks plus working on shoots, but also getting mental stimulation in the way off training which is equally important to tire them out, plus they are doing exactly wot they have been bred for for hundreds off years

In the meantime i'd try to look into finding a local gundog club for later on when u get a dog/pup, but they will also know who has decent pups in ur local area

I have bored collie and a welsh collie and you the. On the local shoot for beating and they both restive back to hand a can handle runners a blind retrieves and are both soft mouth and fine round the guns and now the fire works don't bother them no more and they have put some labs and spanials to shame not saying there the best but there good enough for me

Matt

Edited by Fretwell 59

I will bet it ends up worse than those spaniels. Collies are hard work as gundogs, the biggest issue is they don't like loud noises- like gunshot

I have 2 Border Collies and Kent has said exactly what I wanted to say.

Love 'em to bits, but when beating or shooting my Spaniel come out to play.

I grew up with border collies we had a couple of house dogs the rest kennelled. The only good hunting/rabbiting ones I have personally come across had a fair lump of whippet or grey hound in them (there's always the odd exception shows up in shooting press now and again).

I agree with Kent & Martin working collies need to do just that or you'll drive the poor thing nuts.

I have a cocker she is very (maybe over) people friendly. while a pup we carefully taught her that being left alone we would be back things like a kong help ease boredom.

when we leave in a morning she goes to sleep does the same if I'm working at home. most of the time someone will be back dinner or end of school time but she seems happy to be left longer. a good walk before hand helps prevent accidents.

I have 2 Border Collies and Kent has said exactly what I wanted to say.

Love 'em to bits, but when beating or shooting my Spaniel come out to play.

I'm with Kent too, (again)... We have had Border collies here longer than I have been alive, and one theme which recurs, is none of them have been any good with loud noises.