London Parakeets

fengreg

Went down to London yesterday doing the tourist thing with family over from SA, walking up the Mall towards the palace I saw a small flock of Parakeets high up flying around, they came down and flew all the way up the Mall at low level making one hell of a racket, there're bloody quick!.

I've read articles and heard tell of these birds, but never seen them before, are there others spread over London and other areas?

Went down to London yesterday doing the tourist thing with family over from SA, walking up the Mall towards the palace I saw a small flock of Parakeets high up flying around, they came down and flew all the way up the Mall at low level making one hell of a racket, there're bloody quick!.

I've read articles and heard tell of these birds, but never seen them before, are there others spread over London and other areas?

1000's of them.

Richmond Park and West London in particular, but also spreading out through North London and South Herts, we even see a few around Hatfield and Stevenage.

Nice to see but very noisy and a real threat to the Woodpecker, by taking over their nesting sites.

Theres loads in the margate area to i used to cut cauliflowers there years ago and you would always see and here them

Theres loads in the margate area to i used to cut cauliflowers there years ago and you would always see and here them

were talking about parakeets not parrots :lol:

they are well established up north as well, local park has a thriving colony and they get into the gardens where one of my daughters lives, not huge numbers but must be at least 50 in the colony.

KW

Very funny :lol:

Less decoy, more roost shooting with an air rifle, that said, are they on any quarry list (DEFRA) etc??, can't seem to find them?.

Yep, they're on Natural England's General Licence list...along with the other pests that need controlling as per our standard guidelines.

If you view the other link aga man posted and baker boy referred to there's a debate about how lovely and green and fluffy they are and they shouldn't be touched because they're pretty and exotic vs a cull needed.

As far as I'm concerned, I split my time between Swindon, the Cotswolds and Hampshire and they're not an issue for me but having read the experiences of others living just outside London I would expect to see some around my neck of the woods in the not too distant future.

Yes they look interesting and unusual but as far as I'm concerned they shouldn't be here and they're pretty aggressive vs our natural wildlife (plant and birds) and therefore need to be controlled in order to maintain a balance.

I'm fully behind anyone that seeks to bag a few in problem areas which could slow down them spreading out from the capital.

I haven't yet been convinced by any argument to leave them alone as NE and many other organisations recognise their pest status. Interesting that people are happy enough to shoot pigeons and magpies under the same banner but would draw the line at something green and pretty.

Never seen any around here luckily - but I notice that there are two species which are treated differently in the general licences http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/regulation/wildlife/licences/generallicences.aspx

ie Monk parakeet are on GL-04 (preservation of livestock & crops and spread of disease); GL-05 (preservation of public health and safety) and GL-06 (conservation of flora & fauna) but Ring Neck are only on GL-04 and GL-06 (not GL-05)

so I was just wondering out of pure curiosity whether the parakeets you are getting down there are predominantly one species or the other or are they a good mix of both?