Storing a Semi Auto in the Cabinet

Zetter

Hi All

Daft Question time.

I have just acquired a Semi Auto shotgun for the first time normally shooting an over and under. Now I have a breach flag for it and know that when carrying it in the slip/moving around at the clay ground the bolt will be open and the flag will be in. But I was wondering how do you normally store them when in the cabinet is it best with the bolt back and the flag in? This seems best practice from a safety point of view to show the gun is safe but I was wondering if it need to be bolt forward to keep stress off the bolt during storage. Generally I only shoot every couple of weeks so its not like I will be using it every day.

Cheers Neil

...when in the cabinet is it best with the bolt back and the flag in? This seems best practice from a safety point of view to show the gun is safe

Does your cabinet have many passing visitors with unrestricted access to the contents?

If not, then don't bother with the chamber flag/open bolt when it is stored

mine goes in bolt forward, although im the only one who has access to my safe i always check guns as they go in and come out of the safe just in case

Just as it should be :good:

First rule of gun safety in my book 'treat every gun as loaded untill you prove otherwise'

For the record I too have to 'split' my semi whilst in the cabinet, bolt foreward to relieve stress to f/pin spring, not sure if it helps, just seems logical

Regards remmyman

my semi just goes in mine in one piece, theres a half inch gap.. glad its not a 30" one or id have to drop the barell to store it. still a pain though as i have a light inside on the top so have to angle it in to miss the light. im gona have to change the light to an led strip or iots gona drive me mad as im start using it more

i knoe how bad my memory is remmyman so i have to check to be sure

Just as it should be :good:

First rule of gun safety in my book 'treat every gun as loaded untill you prove otherwise'

For the record I too have to 'split' my semi whilst in the cabinet, bolt foreward to relieve stress to f/pin spring, not sure if it helps, just seems logical

Regards remmyman

Anytime you touch one - mine's 32" and is split each time.

I store my al391 bolt forward but I release it slowly holding the charging handle in my hand and about half way release the trigger which softly hits the firing pin, bolt about halfway shut, that way there's not spring tension in my trigger group, firing pin or bolt return spring when it's all shut up, as said previous I'm the only one with access so know its empty but when it comes out I lock bolt back and safety flag in. Jobs a goodun

I store my al391 bolt forward but I release it slowly holding the charging handle in my hand and about half way release the trigger which softly hits the firing pin, bolt about halfway shut, that way there's not spring tension in my trigger group, firing pin or bolt return spring when it's all shut up, as said previous I'm the only one with access so know its empty but when it comes out I lock bolt back and safety flag in. Jobs a goodun

Ditto