Track/Experience days

fat_jay

Anyone done one?

I fancy hooning around the track in a couple of cars that I will never afford to own, any one done it? Or can recommend somewhere to go.

Have looked about the net and prices and distance covered seem to vary hugely.

I believe you could also do something near me at lotus, but everything I can find involves a tour of lotus, and I don't really fancy that.

Jay

I have,they don't let you hoon around,some have imposed rev limits or devices to limit acceleration controlled by the instructor.

Done 911 turbo/360 at donnington.Some friend have done the Jonothan Palmer day at Bedford Autodrome and they wouldn't shut up about it.

I have done rallying at Brands Hatch a couple of times, Once on the villages day that Johnathon Palmer hosts a fiver for a little bit of instruction and a couple of laps all the money goes to local charities and the full experience day that was a christmas present loved em both big time. Johnathon Palmer is a top bloke does a lot for the communities that have to put up with the noise and traffic from the circuits his company owns. Would deffinatley recconmend any of the days offered by Palmersport.!!

I've done a few and it all depends on your budget. Thoroughly enjoyed the following:

Everyman Racing - Ferrari 360, DB9, Gallardo, 997 C4S. Instructors were very good and if you knew what you were doing after a lap, they encouraged you to give it some. Half day around £300

Silverstone Challenge - Drove everything they had at the time. 997 Turbo, 360, Exige on the GP circuit. pug 206 Tarmac rally car, Fiesta ST dirt rally car, single sweater, quads, defenders. Awesome day. Full day around £700

Formula Ford experience - sighting laps in Mini Cooper, then timed laps in F Ford. Great experience. Around £100.

Have heard great things about Palmer day at Bedford. Maybe this year :)

Have you ever thought about buying a track car at all buddy?? For under 1000 (which I know is a lot of money) you can get a cracking car especially if you went in with two friends a nice jap turbo car or prelude vtec? And strip it and do the snetterton track days for arround 100 quid for the day or a 40 quid evening 2hr session? Split all the money two or three ways and you will have a cracking time I've done this and done a Ferrari day and would take the snetterton day every time !! Just a thought?

I've done a few - Silverstone (Porsche), Oulton Park (BMW then Jaguar twice) but I have to say Palmersport over at Bedford was streets ahead - give it a lap or so for the instructors to suss you out and if you can drive there is none of the rev limiter / take it easy now / no overtaking etc etc you get elsewhere its just 'power on power on' and really great fun. Except for the client I took. He was hopeless !

Palmer Motorsport day was simply superb. Full telemetry included on the single seater laps as well just added to the day. Good variety of cars on different tracks and they're designed to test different elements of driving (some safer cars with electronic gizmos as you'd drive on the streets and some full on track cars).

Awesome but it comes at a price. I did it about 7 years ago and I still haven't forgotten. Doubt I'll top it driving wise.

I've done several, all great fun, Porsche, Ferrari, Jaguar, Lamborghini, fast Fords and fast Vauxhalls. Price can vary but if you look around you can get short notice openings where you are effectively making up the numbers to ensure an event goes ahead. Great way to participate and save money.

I have driven at Brands Hatch, the MIRA Proving Ground and at Bruntingthorpe.

If you are lucky enough to have the option of incar video and trackside photographer it makes the day better.

You wont regret it!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

One further point;

If you do go and are offered an increase in insurance cover, give it some serious consideration.

The chap I took along to MIRA 3 years ago managed to break a very expensive door mirror on a Lemans tourer and it would have been rather expensive if he hadn't raised the level of cover.

ascari-kz1r-gt3-05.jpg

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

Did the single seater experience at Silverstone many years ago but they had pace cars out which made it a bit if a joke really.

Best paid for on track event I've done (apart from 6 years racing sidecars) was the Ducati day at brands hatch, they had 748's with some very sticky tyres fitted, never got bike tyres so hot before!!

Favourite UK circuits are Donnington and Oulton Park.

I've got an American muscle car day for later this year at brands hatch or Goodwood, they advise the extra insurance . It seems like a lot of money to me for a few laps in an old mustang , but I'm used to thrashing Fords cars around. Not sure which one to do Brands is close but I've driven both circuits there . Millbrook is nice , I always found MIRA boring although it does get interesting if you hit the catch wires at the top of the banking . Estoril is nice Nardo is another boring loop .

I've got an American muscle car day for later this year at brands hatch or Goodwood, they advise the extra insurance . It seems like a lot of money to me for a few laps in an old mustang , but I'm used to thrashing Fords cars around. Not sure which one to do Brands is close but I've driven both circuits there . Millbrook is nice , I always found MIRA boring although it does get interesting if you hit the catch wires at the top of the banking . Estoril is nice Nardo is another boring loop .

Take it for a wizz round the nordschleife?