Bins in front of stands

Rst1990

when I was first having lessons, i was taught to catch the ejected cartridge from my OU and put them in the bin. To me its the same as littering not to put the empty cartridges in the bins.

If they are full I have a good go at putting them on top of the pile, if they fall off then the ground should empty them sooner but I am doing all I can.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love bins!

I enjoy the process of ejecting my shells just as much as shooting the clay, I find it's all part of my shooting a stand. strange you might think?

I watched Hammy shoot when I first started and saw him do it and thought that looks kinda cool, took me a while to master it but I just took it as another challenge, much like hitting a clay. Now I pride myself on getting every spent cart in the bin.

When I walk up to a stand as part of my process I have to have the bin in front of me and slightly to the right. When I have shot I bring down the gun and as I break it

open and the shells eject I palm the into the bin in one fluid motion, I don't even think about it anymore and I rarely miss the bin.

Someone commented that If I could shoot as well as I empty the gun, I would be hitting AA on my scores! Sadly that is not the case as I have only been shooting a year.

I started a topic similar to this a while back http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/253805-empty-cartridge-litter-louts/?hl=%2Bempty+%2Bcartridges&do=findComment&comment=2221210

So still by the looks of things the majority still throw there empties in the bins provided, it's a bit of etiquette in clay shooting I suppose, similar to being quiet whilst a shooter is having there go :)

There you go making up bizarre scenarios because someone is able to argue a point you thought was easy peasy goodytwoshoes winnable. If you read through the thread you'll see I DON'T let my shells drop on the floor, I bin them like the vast majority but I have the experience and worldly wiseness to realise it isn't the end of the world when some drop to the floor.

Jesus, time of the month or something??

You say it doesnt bother you but your irate replies to me and others suggest it does bother you !

I stood behind a chap using an over and under on Sunday at my local clay club instead of just catching the cartridges he just let them fly out only for his mate to pick them up. There was a big bin on the floor directly below his feet just couldn't understand why anyone wouldn't just catch them and drop them in the bin. I can understand it with a semi auto. It's the same with a lot of things just a small minority making everyone else look bad.

Slightly off subject but I was having a walk round on one of my local permissions only to bump into another chap who also shoots on the permission. Stopped and had a chat to him asked how he'd got on, where he'd seen any pigeons and where he'd been only to find two pigeons just shot and left in the middle of the set aside where families frequently walk and spent cartridges lying all over the floor! Why is it so difficult for people? All it does is portray shooters as bad people!

Where did you get that idea from ?

The point AND reality of the matter is that they ARE beyond safe reach most of the time, the vast majority of spent shells are flung to the right and well clear of the stand, beyond the walkways making immediate retrieval impractical and often too time consuming. Therefore in the interest of the greater good people move on and someone clears up at the end, it really isn't a monstrous conspiracy or lack of etiquette, just how things are.

Ok, a small concession to your way of thinking. My two local grounds both have enclosed stands. As such, if a semi auto spits it sideways it either hits the wall or goes out of the door. Most of them land within the stands perimeter, still doesn't get them picking them up though! I accept that if it's twenty feet away it may be a bit excessive to expect them to all be picked, still wouldn't hurt to see a few being collected as they walk on through, plenty of bins around.

I find it more disturbing watching the plonkers who are waving the gun around as they open it, in an effort to eject fired cases into the bin. A bad habit to get into, if you only fire one barrel, for any reason, you are now waving a loaded gun around. Just open the gun with your hand over the breech.

Yep, but the problem is some employed at these grounds think there way above menial tasks :yes: BB

I can only speak for myself as regards my attitude to what you describe as 'menial tasks'. In my working life I have spent months every winter working in cold draughty barns riddling and grading spuds. Hours and hours spent shovelling up the afterbirth,stillborn piglets and slurry from sows whilst working on a pig farm. Worked for 18mths as a hod carrier and then 22years as a soletrader working as a landscape gardener, blockpaving, concreting and fencing etc untill ill health forced me to quit.

I can assure you that all of these jobs are 'menial' by anybody's standards, oh, I nearly forgot, also spent many happy hours spent with my head down manholes/sewers amongst peoples ***** and worse!

So safe to say that I don't regard any job/duty to be found at a clay ground beneath me!

My own self-respect along with respect for my fellow shooters/squad members and ground owner are more than enough incentive for me to 'leave the place as I found it'

I simply cannot get my head around anyone thinking that spraying shell cases around the place for others to clear up is good etiquette or indeed good manners, do these people think that this is beneath them?

I feel the same about people who take their family to Mcdonalds and think it beneath them to put their litter from their meal in the bin(though it does **** me off when these bins are filled to overflowing) "cos it's what the ******* cleaners get payed for!"

Shame on them and shame on anyone else if they can't conduct themselves in a more adult,courteous and socially responsible manner. :sad1:

Regards remmyman

Edited by remmyman

Its laziness pure and simple. Out of respect for other people either working or shooting, the person who has just shot that stand should clear up after themselves irrespective of what gun they have. Its not difficult.

Granted it might be the job of the trapper in some cases if thats part of his or her agreed role to keep the stand tidy but I'd rather they pressed the button than have to spend time running around tidying the stand or having to empty a bin. I dont think its too much to collect up your empties once you have shot the stand.

Edited by Maldred4

So safe to say that I don't regard any job/duty to be found at a clay ground beneath me!

My own self-respect along with respect for my fellow shooters/squad members and ground owner are more than enough incentive for me to 'leave the place as I found it'

I simply cannot get my head around anyone thinking that spraying shell cases around the place for others to clear up is good etiquette or indeed good manners, do these people think that this is beneath them?

Regards remmyman

Someone thinks its beneath them or the bins would get emptied :yes: your absolutely correct in saying "leave the ground as found" and most people do exactly that,however if the bins are overflowing "I will not be putting spent shells in my pocket or searching for another bin" as Bakerboy suggested in his post.

At the end of the day im paying to shoot and if you take my money I expect a certain standard of service to be provided :yes:

Edited by Bluebarrels

Someone thinks its beneath them or the bins would get emptied :yes: your absolutely correct in saying "leave the ground as found" and most people do exactly that,however if the bins are overflowing "I will not be putting spent shells in my pocket or searching for another bin" as Bakerboy suggested in his post.

At the end of the day im paying to shoot and if you take my money I expect a certain standard of service to be provided :yes:

I totally agree that there is simply no excuse for bins to be 'overflowing, and also agree with your sentiments that if I shot at a ground where that was the case, I to would place mine on top of said pile and tell the ground manager/owner what I thought of his ground!

The way I see it is this: You, as a paying customer are entitled to expect the following: a warm welcome,adequate facilities, competent admin/ground staff/refs, targets that fall within the accepted 'norm' for whichever discipline that you are shooting, and a safe,clean tidy environment in which to actually shoot.

Ground owner/manager/staff on the other hand are entitled to expect paying customers to act/conduct themselves in a polite,safe and courteous manner whilst on the premises.

Surely it should be about mutual respect. If the ground has met (and hopefully exceeded) it's obligations to you, the customer, then isn't the correct,right,decent thing to do, tidy up after yourself?

After all, how many of us would think it acceptable to refrain from flushing a toilet after we're done because it happened to be on a commercial premises?

Why not lead by example? show respect for yourself, your fellow shooters and the ground / staff by placing YOUR shell cases where they belong,in the bin!

And if you're not happy, vote with your feet!!

ATB remmyman

I was at a clay ground the other week just before it closed on a Saturday. The bin was overflowing on one of the stands.

I didn't then think "well, I should just chuck them all over the place like a numpty school kid throwing any toy I have out of the pram" - I just simply put my empties next to the bin in a neat(ish) pile. My thinking was that when the person who will come by picking them up will go "oh, look, a few cartridges next to the bin" and only have to bend down to pick them up once rather than scrabble around picking them up from all around the stand.

I have used this technique in other walks of life as well and it has always been fine to do such. Obviously if you read this, don't try this with wet waste, food waste or anything else such like that isn't easy or hygienic to pick up...

Sometimes I surprise myself with how clever I am.

Why not lead by example? show respect for yourself, your fellow shooters and the ground / staff by placing YOUR shell cases where they belong,in the bin!

And if you're not happy, vote with your feet!!

ATB remmyman

:hmm: BB

Edited by Bluebarrels

You are correct the bins should be emptied on a regular basis, allowing the responsible shooter to place the used cartridges in the bin.

As mentalmac said, if the bin is full, place your used cartridges next to the bin.

For me I would place the used cartridges in my pocket and deposit them in the next available bin.

I think as I have said before, we all agree in essence to not having spent cartridges littering the ground , whether it be by careless shooters, or overflowing bins.

Edited by bakerboy

You are correct the bins should be emptied on a regular basis, allowing the responsible shooter to place the used cartridges in the bin.

As mentalmac said, if the bin is full, place your used cartridges next to the bin.

For me I would place the used cartridges in my pocket and deposit them in the next available bin.

I think as I have said before, we all agree in essence to not having spent cartridges littering the ground , whether it be by careless shooters, or overflowing bins.

:good: BB

its fair enough a semi aut chucks its empties away from the shooter and they would have to go forward of the cage to retrieve them which could be unsafe but people just ejecting their empties our of sbs or O/U guns realy gets my back up!! theres no need for it and i don't even do when out game shooting my empties go in my left pocket and my full ones are in the right. lets face it theres a lot of bone idle ignorant folk knocking about and not just in the shooting world you get lots of fishermen leaving empty sweet corn tins laying around or discarded fishing line too and golfers leave balls laying around all the time for my dog to find and be distracted by all the time too ;)

Edited by beeredup

I find it more disturbing watching the plonkers who are waving the gun around as they open it, in an effort to eject fired cases into the bin. A bad habit to get into, if you only fire one barrel, for any reason, you are now waving a loaded gun around. Just open the gun with your hand over the breech.

This makes me laugh especially when they get it wrong and for some unkown reason my dad started trying to do it :no::no::no: not when you shoot me with you don't!!!! :ninja:

A tad off topic I know, but I tend to find that the better people are at ejecting directly into the bin the worse they are at hitting clays. But hey, if it looks good to your mates then why not? :no:

Back on topic, I do detest having to stand on other's spent cases in the stand, SA's I can partially understand, O&U's & SbS's, there's absolutely no excuse. :mad: