Labelling of kosher and halal meat

pegasus bridge

Pigeons flapping on the deck, a running pheasant, a goose that cannot be found even though it fell 30yds away, a deer that dies from starvation from a misplaced shot, do I need to go on?

Whilst I agree that all of those things are unpleasant and whilst we all do out best to avoid them, wounding will happen when shooting live quarry, you are not comparing bacon with bacon.

What you are overlooking is the life prior to an animal being shot - I.e in most cases wild and stress free (reared pheasants an exception I know) and then more inportantly, the shorter period of time prior to being shot - in most cases the wild animal has no idea that it is about to lose its life.

Compare that to a slaughterhouse with all of the smells, noises and sounds of slaughter - the level of stress that animals must experience must be huge compared to wild hunted animals.

Halal slaughter just makes it worse...hang said animal upside down whilst concious, then slit it's throat whilst concious...totally barbaric and unacceptable in my opinion and to get back to the original point - yes it absolutely should be labelled halal so that those of us who object to this medieval horrible practice can avoid eating it.

I openly admit I am a meat snob - if I cannot establish how the animal was reared / slaughtered then I will do my best not to eat it. Hence why I much prefer to eat game shot by myself or friends as I know the animal has received the respect it deserves both when it was alive and after it was killed. Any meat I do but comes from the local butcher or farm shop and I have seen the animals being reared and know that there is minimal stress involved in slaughtered compared to some other routes.

Edited by oscarsdad

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The procedure is exactly the same as any other slaughter except the name of god is mentioned to recognise that this animal about to be slaughtered is one of gods creations.

Well if thats the case slaughter houses must have changed, they got a bolt through the head to kill them first prior to hung up and throat slit in my younger days. always thought the halal and cosher just got their throats slit,,,, oh well changed days,,you live and learn.

johnnie

Edited by AULD YIN

The procedure is exactly the same as any other slaughter except the name of god is mentioned to recognise that this animal about to be slaughtered is one of gods creations.

Unless the practise has changed the above is incorrect. I worked in a poultry processing plant and normally birds were clipped into a moving belt upside down and as they moved along their heads were hit by a water jet carrying an electric current which stunned them. They then passed through two rotating blades which slit the throat and they bled to death.

Halal birds were not stunned prior to the throat slitting.

If an animal is stunned prior to halal slaughtering and the stunning results in its death it is considered non halal. In other words they go to great lengths to ensure the animals are not too deeply stunned if at all.

Like it or not it is just lip service to a UK public that are by and large against this unnecessary barbarity which has no basis in our traditions.

Regardless of the debate on how humane it is, at the very least any meat slaughtered 'religiously' should be labelled clearly. Those who demand it would equally like to know if it was not slaughtered according to their own religious rules- so let's play fair to all and label it.

Regardless of the debate on how humane it is, at the very least any meat slaughtered 'religiously' should be labelled clearly. Those who demand it would equally like to know if it was not slaughtered according to their own religious rules- so let's play fair to all and label it.

Makes a lot of sense, at least that way people who don't currently realise just how many supermarkets use inhumanely slaughtered meat as the default will be alerted to the fact that it is being done to cover the interests of the minority groups, who for outdated religious reasons require that.

Makes a lot of sense, at least that way people who don't currently realise just how many supermarkets use inhumanely slaughtered meat as the default will be alerted to the fact that it is being done to cover the interests of the minority groups, who for outdated religious reasons require that.

Exactly

Perhaps if enough people see that we might have an outside chance of having the disgusting practice banned.

You Cant do that all those people who need to eat it would have to go to another country to be able to eat halal meat and indeed kosher meat and then what would we do with all the empty properties? :whistling:

You Cant do that all those people who need to eat it would have to go to another country to be able to eat halal meat and indeed kosher meat and then what would we do with all the empty properties? :whistling:

Don't worry yourself too much on that score, bound to be some very poor European countries joining the EU shortly, citizens of which will jump at the chance of filling any vacant properties.

It might actually work out that we didn't need to concrete over quite so much of the country?

All the fresh meat in supermarkets is hala already except morrisons.

Don't kid yourself, Morrisons are very much hand in glove with the halal authorities and actively donates monies to them. MORRISONS-hand-in-hand-with-ZAKAT.jpg

I absolutely will not knowingly touch any product that is halal, many products are labeled with halal food authority marks already (such as kingsmill bread for example), anything carrying the mark pays a zekat (muslim tax if you will) to carry the mark and this is funding the islamisation of our country and very possibly even terrorist activities. Theres been a campaign running for several years now pushing for clear labelling of meat that is religiously slaughtered as well as other products that are prepared to religious standards (not jus islamic but any religion). Recently I even asked for my money back after paying for a coffee in a shopping mall as I spotted a halal certificate hung proudly over the counter just past the till stating "all products in this establishment are prepared in accordance with islamic law", It caused a little discomfort for the girl behind the counter and I guess they considered me a racist but the truth is I find this kind of thing as offensive as a muslim would if he was given a bacon butty. I have friends from many backgrounds and respect their right to chose but my right to chose seems to imply I'm racist for some reason, go figure.

I don't care who buys what but all product prepared to a standard for a religion should be clearly labeled as such so you can make an informed choice.

Edited by redcloud

i will try to avoid halal meat if i can

Same here, at this point that's all we can do until there is a documentary or two which expose the truth of what is or isn't happening and whether Halal procedures today are any more barbaric than half a dozen other stock management things we happily turn a blind eye to. I'm afraid a lot of what you read is of the make up and go variety.

Pigeons flapping on the deck, a running pheasant, a goose that cannot be found even though it fell 30yds away, a deer that dies from starvation from a misplaced shot, do I need to go on?

there is a difference in that its not the intent to have this happen, but then you already knew that before you posted

KW

did you know that most of the meat which comes out of New Zealand is halal!

andrew

That has been going on for years NZ realised that some of their biggest markets were muslim and decided it was cost effective for them to switch the whole business over to halal meat so they could continue to sell in those markets.

Why buy NZ lamb,your local farm shop probably has some of the best lamb you have ever tasted, and probably will be able to tell you the lambs name :whistling: and how it was slaughtered.

But meat with provenance buy local :good: