5p for a carrier bag

neillfrbs

I think 5p for a plastic bag is a joke ,it only makes the supermarkets more money in bag sales .if the government wants to deter people from buying plastic bags then make them £1.00 each .I myself would probably remember to take them to the supermarket then .5p is just not enough to deter you ,and I don't think the supermarkets want you to bring one anyway ,more money for them must be making millions .

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes alot of sense - and has worked well in other countries where plastic bag usage went down tremendously. These bags just end up in landfill, or as litter, or worse - floating in our oceans.

I personally stopped using plastic bags several years ago, opting for the nice carrier bags supermarkets offer for about a pound each. They take much more weight, and are much more comfortable to carry too.

It makes alot of sense - and has worked well in other countries where plastic bag usage went down tremendously. These bags just end up in landfill, or as litter, or worse - floating in our oceans.

I personally stopped using plastic bags several years ago, opting for the nice carrier bags supermarkets offer for about a pound each. They take much more weight, and are much more comfortable to carry too.

Yes I understand the principle! Let's see them tackle some other issues our supermarkets and food providers need to improve upon;

Wasteful packaging

Pointless addition of salt

Ridiculous sugar addition

And most importantly the mingers working in my local supermarket!

Yes I understand the principle! Let's see them tackle some other issues our supermarkets and food providers need to improve upon;

Wasteful packaging

Pointless addition of salt

Ridiculous sugar addition

And most importantly the mingers working in my local supermarket!

+1

The thing that gets me the most with all this green stuff is the only winners seem to be the government in tax, don't get me wrong i don't want to see pollution any more than any one else but we are made to pay for it time and time again, are we really funding environmental issues or just lining certain peoples pockets.

Chris

Countryman I think you hit the nail on the head about the green stuff, it's just a revenue collector for governments. In America in the 90's you never got a plastic bag , it was always strong paper bags, now it's all plastic bags. We use them as bin liners, and anyone who has put something in a Tesco bag and gone back to it about nine months later finds a pile of dust. 5 p seems a little high, I believe Lidle charge 3p.

Make it higher. I am sick of watching pudgy kids in my local shop buying a pint of milk and asking for a bag to carry it home. A pint of milk comes with its own handle and it is waterproof. Or print on the bags slogans such as " environmentally, I am a "********" or " I kill turtles" . Make it shameful to ask for carriers.

Been in place here in Wales for a few years, when you go into the shop you automatically reach for your bags to take with you. Many supermarkets claim that the money raised from the sale of the carrier bags goes to good causes.

As one who has helped with litter picks on river banks (many angling associations do this) i believe it has reduced the amount of plastic waste we have had on our river banks.

Take from that what you will.

Cheers

Aled

Make it higher. I am sick of watching pudgy kids in my local shop buying a pint of milk and asking for a bag to carry it home. A pint of milk comes with its own handle and it is waterproof. Or print on the bags slogans such as " environmentally, I am a an " or " I kill turtles" . Make it shameful to ask for carriers.

Are they Teenage mutant ninja turtles killers?

Been in place here in Wales for a few years, when you go into the shop you automatically reach for your bags to take with you. Many supermarkets claim that the money raised from the sale of the carrier bags goes to good causes.

As one who has helped with litter picks on river banks (many angling associations do this) i believe it has reduced the amount of plastic waste we have had on our river banks.

Take from that what you will.

Cheers

Aled

I was a sceptic but it had worked there are oddities and I don't think it should apply to certain things but understand the reasons and the admin problems exemptions can cause. It's amazing how many people will wrestle arm fills of shopping away from supermarkets rather than pay 5p. I don't agree with tesco who have stopped "green club card" points for using your own bags.

My plastic supermarket bags all get re-used as waste bin bags anyway (or for other jobs round the house/garden/farm/etc), simply saves buying a roll of bin bags, so they at least serve a duel purpose, unlike bin bags.

As already mentioned, I personally believe we should spend more time looking at the daft wasteful packing of many individual products rather than the bag we carry them home in!

Edited by Dekers

5p for a McDonalds bag too-scandalous!!!!

But if you say no bag the still put the chips in a bag? Hot takeaway food is the tricky one.

And if you do tesco click and collect and tick no bags option you still get at least3!!!!!

I would charge 50p per bag it pees me off when I am out walking the dog to see bloody plastic bags stuck in hedges and trees people should take there own bags when they go shopping as people did years ago.

Move to Wales we all do! Agree about the layers and layers of packaging though!

The only way forward is to BAN plastic carrier bags! Most if not ALL super markets offer fabric bags! Reusable time and time again and better for the enviroment! There are a few bags made of a tarpaulin type woven material that can be used time and time again also! But I don't inow if THEY are recyclable?

If.you REALLY want.to make a change! Take your OWN bags :yes:

well you lot you have got me ranting on the subject that really grates on my nerves

if I buy goods at a supermarket I expect bags to take it home and get them (normally I use bags for life or boxes but its the principle that counts to me) I go to marks and spencer and buy a jumper I get a carrier bag I go to marks and spencer and but food shopping I have to pay for a carrier bag so stuff them I go elseware I went to wh smiths and bought 2 diarys they tried to charge me 5p for a carrier bag that was so flimsy I couldn't use it again and had there advertising plastered all over it and then gave me a voucher for £10 off next shop so I told them where to stick it and there £10 if shops are all environmental give out paper bags and charge extra for the goods that way the customer gets his goods at a price he would accept and gets to carry it home properly and there is no landfill that does not rot grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

i enjoy making a stand on principle no bag i will take my business somewhere else

of course if i have my own with me then no problem i am not that ignorant and selfish it just sometimes catches you out you stop for 1 thing in a shop then before you know it you have a basketfull and then they wont give you a bag without paying for it grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

and another thing my wife works for sainsburys and they have been told not to give carrier bags to customers unless they specificly ask for them she has had so much grief with customers after putting a shopping trolly through and just looking at the customer glare at her and then comes the usual well how do i carry it home haven't you got any bags etc etc come on supermarkets stop upsetting your customers

i enjoy making a stand on principle no bag i will take my business somewhere else

of course if i have my own with me then no problem i am not that ignorant and selfish it just sometimes catches you out you stop for 1 thing in a shop then before you know it you have a basketfull and then they wont give you a bag without paying for it grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

and another thing my wife works for sainsburys and they have been told not to give carrier bags to customers unless they specificly ask for them she has had so much grief with customers after putting a shopping trolly through and just looking at the customer glare at her and then comes the usual well how do i carry it home haven't you got any bags etc etc come on supermarkets stop upsetting your customers

Unfortunately its not all the supermarkets, the Government has its finger in this! :good:

Unfortunately its not all the supermarkets, the Government has its finger in this! :good:

I know they do dekers but the supermarkets should give out paper bags then the planet would benefit more trees planted more people employed to forest them pulp them make bags etc and no long lasting effect on the environment