Thinking of a small gauge pump

kent

Thinking of thinning down the guns a little further and getting a small gauge pump. The pump is the only gun I have never yet owned in all the years I have shot and I have long held thoughts of ownership. Also I will find more use for a smaller gauge as I will be looking to retain the 12 ga super mag for duck, general crow shooting, fox etc and the 10 ga s/s for goose flights.

I have a nice tidy, tight and light weight S/S Zabala BLNE in 12ga. ( I kept this in case I had to attend a game shoot- but never do) An older and lot rougher s/s Zabala 12ga 3" magnum (used as a backup wildfowling gun- but I can always use the ten on duck at a push if the auto is poorly). A decent AYA cosmos 12ga ejector single (sometimes used for dog training- very rare though and only at the well grown puppy stage after the pistol and .410)and a rough looking but fine functioning Baikel .410 single (this has got me into the little stuff). So that's four to go in total

What I am thinking is a .410 pump, un-moderated or a 28 ga if I can find one. Mossberg or Remington, anything else to consider? Idea is this will cover all my walked up rabbits and game and any vermin work on rats ferals etc when the airgun wont cut it. thoughts? Not big on a moderated one as they feel terrible handling wise and I want a lightweight carry about all day type gun

I might be tempted to swap out my fac air slot and go multi shot over the std two in the mag, seems worthwhile if I am ratting etc. (rats have become quite an issue over the last few years here around the whole area, even the grouse keepers are getting lots on the fell tops in winter) Are they hard to find ? I suspect they sell for less? If I did this is it worth getting slug added? Anyone use them on Fox or similar?

Is the 28 a worthwhile option over a .410? I should most likely load for it with RTO as I do the ten and always keep LilGun in stock for use in the Hornet anyhow. So are wads and cases ok and comparable to .410 in cost? I have never owned a 28 but I suspect I could get a tad more range without sacrificing too much in terms of lighter requirements and noise, thoughts?

One thing I don't want is to grow the gun collection, I know how that one goes and feel too many always leads to poorer shooting with each. Unfortunately as we know one gun cant do everything, so its clear down time again either before as individual sales or as a swap / swaps or PX ing

i have an o/u 28g much better than a 410,i also have a handy little armsan a620 20g s/a synth, only cost £390 new,great little gun in the hide,the armsan is also available in 28g check it out you might be ok with that,i,m usin 26g loads in my 28.but 3in 410 are only 19g so how does that compare with what you need.

I guess the trap you could fall into is:

If your going .410 you may aswell go 28g...... and if your going 28g you may aswell go 20g.

Myself, I went 20g mossberg. Reason being that the .410 i just didnt feel did a good job on rabbits and squirrels, fine on pigeons roost shooting as they landed and any of the corvids but none in flight always just as they touched down, the .410 did okay on rats but Squirrels seemed bloomin tough also for the .410.

The 20g is great on all sorts and I have some 34gram 4`s too which are great on crows rabbits and squirrels and the oppertune close fox.

The pump action is a good bit of fun !

The only thing I see in the 20 is using it with steel on eve flight for duck, in all other regards fair useless I don't need another marsh gun and its way too much gun for rats. I shall not be likely to use heavy for calibre 28 ga loads. Amisan I know nothing of but admit such unkowns scare me some, I think I should rather look for a used known maker if it came down to the price- don't even mind doing a little work on one.

I am ok with the performance of the .410 18 grm fibre load 20-25 yards on bunnies is ok by me and have shot a few hares with it all cleanly, I get out enough to pass on the longer shots

Keep your .410 ... would a 28 bore sbs interest you?

Iv'e a couple of single 12 bores, love strolling round with the lightness of the 12 bore single.

I'd like to pick up a British sbs in a usable condition at a reasonable price and at a later date a 28 bore sbs ... go with what makes you happy Kent, if you want a pump .410 go for it ... we all only come round the once. Get what puts a smile on your face m8

Edited by hoggysreels

Keep your .410 ... would a 28 bore sbs interest you?

Iv'e a couple of single 12 bores, love strolling round with the lightness of the 12 bore single.

I'd like to pick up a British sbs in a usable condition at a reasonable price and at a later date a 28 bore sbs ... go with what makes you happy Kent, if you want a pump .410 go for it ... we all only come round the once. Get what puts a smile on your face m8

Heck yes it would but I am trying to cure myself of a long term case of gunitis here :innocent: . Not fancy adding my AYA Cosmos to that collection of singles? :whistling: been looking at the Remington 1100 auto in a 28 ga on the net and the 870 pumps they do look nice against the mosbergs, though a bit dearer non the less and like I say never owned a pump so I thought it might be time.

How about a lever action like a Win 9410, which as the name suggests is .410

Lovely little gun if you can hold of one ( or the Rossi rep?)

Yep though of that too, going to save the lever gun for the day I need a 45-70 marlin guide gun :good:

The winchester 9410 is very hard to find, but if you're going .410 S1 the rossi makes sense. From the ones I've looked at they are very well made. 22" barrel so always s1.

Have a look for one of the old Winchester pumps if you want a better quality gun than the mossberg. 28 bore pump would be a lot of fun, but what?

Lol ... l am marginally tempted Kent :) ... ain't got an Aya single ... Mmmmm!

Things is lve two space remaining in my cabinet (had 6) sold 2 to a chap off PW. My next gun is a cheapo English sbs .. though l'm ruling nothing out

Ah, you need to see her, LOL! Colour case hardened action, ejector, cost a fortune if anyone made one like that today

If you are intending to use the gun for walked up game etc then the 28 gauge would be a wiser choice IMO , not much difference in cartridge price but a lot different in performance when required .

Yes its sort of the difference in performance that also puts me off at the same time. The thing I like is being able to get a quick shot at a close rabbit or bird without smashing it and something suited to rats. that said I now know the whereabouts of a nice Rem 1100 auto (its hard shopping when you like most things that go bang and kill stuff). Looking at powder consumption etc it is a consideration though only with light loads

Have the 870 in 410, 30 years of use and abuse, and it still cycles as good as new, the blueing is thin , stock has dings scratches and bruises, but wouldn't part with it, it's fun it's lethal and cheap to run reloading your own. John

Yes they have a good reputation, the re-loading side is a big factor in all this. I have not had a fourteen for about 25 yrs until the other year, once you respect the range thing you are spot on about the lythality! The first night I tried it I plugged a few short range bunnies, then a longer one (long meaning nearly 30yds :yes: ) Killed that to DRT. So I thought wonder if of a Hare, tried one and it just fell over like a steel target as it passed across me! Age , experience and a bit more respect for the quarry than I once has opened this gun up to me again and frankly impressed :good:

A question for pump users;

How easy or practical is it to walk with an empty chamber and only rack one it during the mount? You see I am thinking this might be an advantage but can it be done and a shot fired easy enough before the quarry tends to be out of .410 range?

I had a Mossberg 500 12g pump. Good fun, loudest shotgun I've owned - what a muzzle blast! Even racking the action was loud - it would've scared off anything living for a good 50 yards I think. You can pump it quickly though - I never used it for live game.

I also had a 410 bolt action, which I used for clays a few times. Again, great fun, and very satisfying to get a hit. Also not too bad for shells as I made my own.

Think it's time I tried a 20 gauge...

A question for pump users;

How easy or practical is it to walk with an empty chamber and only rack one it during the mount? You see I am thinking this might be an advantage but can it be done and a shot fired easy enough before the quarry tends to be out of .410 range?

Why do you ask that Kent ?

Not practical at all matey.

U :)