Snobbery or just rude

Davyo

Where on earth did you get the bad safety thing from? Safety is in the hands of the user! And as for reliability again in the hands of the user!

Keep it clean and it will work properly,be lazy and leave it dirty and you'll get recycling problems. Simples

ATB

Jim

:lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

You obviously have zero experience of Hatsans.

Early days quality control, design, engineering and materials was appalling, that made for an unreliable and dangerous gun, and no amount of user care would change that, my barrel blew up, (and mine was not the only one) and I was stood next to it when my lad pulled the trigger, I tend to call that a safety issue when pieces of barrel and choke go flying everywhere!

As for clean, it was brand new and had fired approx. half of its first box of cartridges ever, after a thorough initial out of the box clean from me!

...and please don't try and blame the user, I know it was the gun, the dealer knew it was the gun, Edgar bros knew it was the gun and the Proof House knew it was the gun when it was sent back to them for examination.

Edited by Dekers

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where on earth did you get the bad safety thing from? Safety is in the hands of the user! And as for reliability again in the hands of the user!

Keep it clean and it will work properly,be lazy and leave it dirty and you'll get recycling problems. Simples

ATB

Jim

The ring bulge in my gun was due to poor machining of the threads nothing to do with me the first one the choke flew out the end due poor machining that's according to the proof house report. Nothing to do with my cleaning there was an issue with the early guns which has now been rectified.

I think the volume of people who have had hatsans shows that they are a popular seller.

I have a wood version not sure which model, it's smooth cycles almost everything and is ideal for the hide. Sure it's not as nice as my over and under but I shoot equally as well with it.

I wouldn't worry about the snobbery the clay bashers seem to be the worst, you must have perazzi, kreighoff, browning etc etc. Just do your own thing.

I think the volume of people who have had hatsans shows that they are a popular seller.

I have a wood version not sure which model, it's smooth cycles almost everything and is ideal for the hide. Sure it's not as nice as my over and under but I shoot equally as well with it.

I wouldn't worry about the snobbery the clay bashers seem to be the worst, you must have perazzi, kreighoff, browning etc etc. Just do your own thing.

I think all semi autos are ugly as **** anyway so I'm not all that bothered which I use!

You obviously have zero experience of Hatsans

I fail to see at which point in my post it became obvious I had no experience in hatsans!

I merely stated that it's not a "known fact" that hatsans have a poor safety record. Your experience with the early hatsan is inexcusable and thank god neither of you were hurt. Hatsans now are far better guns than people give credit for (which I believe is the point of the OP) I'm sure other gun makes have had similar issues and I'm sure not every early hatsan blew up.

The hatsan debate will rage on,after all it is the "marmite gun" opinions differ and should be respected.

I am by no means an expert I'm just giving my humble opinion.

Forgot to mention I own a hatsan semi auto and love it

ATB

Jim

Edited by JimLondon

I fail to see at which point in my post it became obvious I had no experience in hatsans! Your first sentence! :lol: :good:

I merely stated that it's not a "known fact" that hatsans have a poor safety record. Your experience with the early hatsan is inexcusable and thank god neither of you were hurt. Hatsans now are far better guns than people give credit for (which I believe is the point of the OP) I'm sure other gun makes have had similar issues and I'm sure not every early hatsan blew up.

The hatsan debate will rage on,after all it is the "marmite gun" opinions differ and should be respected.

ATB

Jim

Baikal guns are something I could never get my head round either, why were they so under rated.

Their government subsidised the export of them just to get foreign currency and they were so cheap over here so people looked down on them.

They were well built and I never heard of one breaking down or blowing up.

So in both cases, it just goes to show that a cheap price does not always mean rubbish.

Baikals were and are designed by engineers to be cheap to produce and robust. They didn't just make a cheap rip off of the Anson & Deeley action!

I have never heard of one "blowing up".

There are always whines about short stocks and poor fit and finish - designed for use with thick clothing, and f&f is "good enough"and no more. Sweet handling and elegance weren't part of the design brief. Cheap, robust and reliable were, and that's what you get. If some folk look down their noses at my Russian flak cannon, that's their problem, not mine ;)

I will admit to never having picked up a Hatsan. They seem to have had a few problems with early models, and have addressed them in the newer ones - if they work, what's not to like? It's a tool, not costume jewellery :D

To drag this post (eventually) back to the original question, they are one and the same thing; snobbery IS just plain rude.

Edited by CaptainBeaky

I fail to see at which point in my post it became obvious I had no experience in hatsans! Your first sentence! :lol: :good:

ATB

Jim

And from that you assume I have Zero experience with a hatsan,how presumtous.

Like I said "not an expert" just a satisfied user with Zero experience of any trouble with the hatsan.

+1 with captainbeaky snobbery is just plain rude

ATB

Jim

And from that you assume I have Zero experience with a hatsan,how presumtous.

Like I said "not an expert" just a satisfied user with Zero experience of any trouble with the hatsan.

+1 with captainbeaky snobbery is just plain rude

ATB

Jim

Lighten up... :good:

on tinternet you get opinions..some folk construe these as snobbery/rudeness.....? a hatsan is a Lada,will still get you from A to B some drive fords and others have Aston Martins........some aint passed their driving tests so it don't matter to them!!

A chap I know owned a lada.it got stolen it was a worrying time.to think there was someone that deranged allowed to roam free.;)

Ask your dealer how many top brand guns he sells and how many hatsans he sells?

You will be surprised,

As for snobbery, as has been said each to there own, horses for courses and all that,( Just ignore the "stuck up there own *****" brigade)

I once shot a 9 out of 10 on the clays ( yes it surprised me also) with my Hatsan, The gent after me had an all singing all dancing top money gun, he didn't hit one bird with it, he then continued to blame the fit and even the gunsmith who fitted it for him, My brother in law piped up with" a bad workman blames his tools" . We thought the guy was going to have a seizure ha ha ha

ATB

Flynny

Ask your dealer how many top brand guns he sells and how many hatsans he sells?

Th answer to that is easy in my dealers case.he won't stock them so total sales = 0. My own personal opinion is I do not like auto's and would not buy or use one.i have seen people blank stands with a £50 gun and also £20.000 guns.you can own any Gun you like you dont need to be a good shot for any quality of gun.

ATB

Flynny

Edited by bostonmick

iv,e met these snobby people many time,s on shoots bragging on about how much there gun cost ,when it came to them shooting the gun they could,nt hit a barn door at twenty yrd,s.

Are you saying that everyone you see with a hatsan or other cheaper brand scores straights every time.

Are you saying that everyone you see with a hatsan or other cheaper brand scores straights every time.

I think he's saying that in the right hands a budget gun will shoot just as straight as a fancy Dan £20.000 jobbie and that some people who own high end guns look down the nose at the cheaper gun owners.

Which was the whole point the OP was making

I'd like to add that not everyone who owns expensive high end guns is snobby

ATB

Jim

I have found in life it doesn't pay to buy the cheapest thing on the market but not the most expensive either .The Hatsan is the cheapest on the market ,if you have a trade account at Edger Brothers you could at one stage buy them at £189 +vat buy 2 get 1 free that's £126.00 each before vat . You get only what you pay for

Deershooter

iv,e met these snobby people many time,s on shoots bragging on about how much there gun cost ,when it came to them shooting the gun they could,nt hit a barn door at twenty yrd,s.

Hmmm. I'd say you are making a bad choice of shoot then.

Anyway didn't all this start ages ago in the clay shooting section where there was always someone who would spark up and say something like, 'there was this bloke with a fancy Gold E laughing at me and my mate with our Hatsans so we straighted the stand when the posh bloke scored naff-all" (or words to that effect)?

EDIT: sure enough we've probably all seen a few 'all the gear no idea' merchants in our time (I know one who 'shoots' - I use the term loosely - a DT10) but someone openly scoffing at a cheap gun...never.

Edited by Thunderbird

This and the other shooting forums I am a member of have one thing in common they were set up by shooters for shooters.

Whether we are new to shooting or an old hand I assume the owners of the forums would want us to help other shooters rather than slag them off for what ever reason. The op might not be able to afford anything other than a Hatsan we do not know their personal circumstances. I have owned a Hatsan in the past it was an all right gun I only traded it in as I got a great offer on a auto baikal and could not get another gun into the cabinet.

If asked for advice and I was able to give an answer I would give it freely if not I would hope that someone else would help them, or if I was needing advise I would hope that someone would give me an accurate answer.

Sam