another chainsaw thread

Paddy Galore!

hi chaps, after another, smaller saw and was looking at a husky 236, i know it's only a cheapy but it's not really for professional use. i've also seen a few 2nd hand pro saws for similar money but i'm dubious about 2nd hand stuff, what do you guys in the know think?

just to clarify i'm after something light weight with about 12"- 14" bar. budget is around £200.

cheers,

Paddy

I missed that harrypen, did you have something interesting to say?

thanks for the help and advice guys, i'm replacing a McCullough which i bought to replace another Mcullough, they're mediocre i know, but have lasted me nigh on 15 yrs. the filler caps don't fit properly on the newest one and are a swine to undo hence why i'm looking for something more upmarket. I know i'm not as experienced as some of the pro arborists here, but i've got training, and safety gear, and a big old husky with a 24"bar that's nearly as old as me, it's just a tad too heavy for some things.

I'm really tempted by the 2nd hand pro saws, because if it's anything like my old husky then it'll probably last forever which is why i'll never sell it, BUT, the main reason people sell stuff on ebay is because it's usually cream crackered, i just don't want to get lumbered with a rebuild :lol:

thanks,

Paddy.

Edited by Paddy Galore!

I missed that harrypen, did you have something interesting to say?

thanks for the help and advice guys, i'm replacing a McCullough which i bought to replace another Mcullough, they're mediocre i know, but have lasted me nigh on 15 yrs. the filler caps don't fit properly on the newest one and are a swine to undo hence why i'm looking for something more upmarket. I know i'm not as experienced as some of the pro arborists here, but i've got training, and safety gear, and a big old husky with a 24"bar that's nearly as old as me, it's just a tad too heavy for some things.

I'm really tempted by the 2nd hand pro saws, because if it's anything like my old husky then it'll probably last forever which is why i'll never sell it, BUT, the main reason people sell stuff on ebay is because it's usually cream crackered, i just don't want to get lumbered with a rebuild :lol:

thanks,

Paddy.

I have a maculloch that I got off e bay and the fuel cap doessnt fit properly.I alos lost one of the nuts that holds the bar on and they want 14 quid for a new one.

I wonder why the fuel cap is so hard to fit.It appears to me that the hole it fits into is no longer round making it tight to get started.

So I endend up with a second hand Sthil that I bought from a guy of the SD.Its a cracker and not a bit of bother and almost like new when I bought it.Just felled a big old cherry tree last month and it was great.Get a good one mate will pay you in the long run.

used for the first time this saturday, took down some wind blowns and did a bit of logging, all fingers and toes still accounted for, although my father did manage to blunt the husky fairly rapidly, the little stihl carried on and got most of the work done, although the 2ft thick aspen trunk is a bit too much to ask from 2hp and a 14" bar, that'll have to wait until i get another chain.

cheers,

Paddy

ive got a husky 51 starts and goes like new but the blade keeps going slack after two logs i have to adjust it any one have any ideas of whats wrong

Check the oiler adjustment for the chain- insufficient oil leads to rapid heating and stretching of the chain ( new chains also stretch fairly quickly initially).

Having never had a quality saw and having one last just 2hrs of cutting the other day I went out today and with the wife's permission purchased a Stihl MS391--- beast and probably more than I need, especially weight wise but prefer to have to much than too little