Starting problems

dodeer

Well I would suggest that you make sure the fuel filter housing has been refitted properly, as it could well be letting air into the fuel system ?

Plus + 1. Re fit the fuel filler it`s drawing air in over night. It`s Called ( Diesel fall back ).

Smear some grease round the top of the fuel filter to help seat and seal on re-fit.

I'd eat my hat if it turned out to be glow plugs

My thoughts would be......

Air in the fuel system, most likely at the fuel filter or delivery pump on the end of the head.

Why? Because it fires and runs for a second, therefore compression, injectors, high pressure fuel pump and a dozen sensors are working fine, and most likely air in the fuel system causes the high pressure pump to reduce it's out put, fuel rail pressure drops and the engine cuts out, continued cranking bleeds the air out and it fires again no doubt chucking out smoke until it runs nicely on all 5

Glow plugs will only make any real difference in this engine when the temperature drops below 5deg C, and if Jeep have taken on board all the Merc systems the with one failed glow plug the glow plug light would briefly blink once after firing up, twice for two failed and so on.

The same as any mechanic worth his salt would realise that an engine which fires and runs sweet for a second before cutting out can't have glow plug issues!

If it did then why would it fire and run in the first place only to cut out afterwards?

After initial combustion (1second running) if the glow plug or plugs are failing as could be the relay not keeping the juice running to them for the correct period of time, you could get the warm heater plug drowning in diesel, "giving the white smoke scenario".. Of unburnt fuel.

(My theory anyway ;))

This would also explain starting after cranking over as the plugs are operating under there running currant and not starting currant, and obviously the car will restart all-day as it takes hours to the engine and fuel in the injectors to go cold..hence only doing it on a morning.

Edited by delburt0