Been naughty

parapilot

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i see people using their phones while driving badly and yes it gets up my nose, i also see a lot of complete raving loons behind the wheel who's actions are far more dangerous, but most of all i see dithering old farts behind the wheel of a car who have absolutely no freaking idea what they are doing, i know who i'd ban first.

i see people using their phones while driving badly and yes it gets up my nose, i also see a lot of complete raving loons behind the wheel who's actions are far more dangerous, but most of all i see dithering old farts behind the wheel of a car who have absolutely no ******** idea what they are doing, i know who i'd ban first.

Quite agree, justification for a bi-annual proficiency test, which should include an eyesight test, for over 70's. Oh, and yes that would include me.

Edited by Westley

I rest my case.

It has ALWAYS been the case that you can be prosecuted for that. There is no legal definition for driving, each case is judged on merit in court. Leaning from the passenger seat and grabbing the wheel makes the passenger a driver in the eyes of the law, pushing a car up a hill while steering the wheel is driving in the eyes of the law etc

If you're parked up, and you're on your mobile, turn the engine off, apply the handbrake and if you can, get out of the car and leave it stationary. Or, use a handsfree kit or leave the call until you reach your destination. For all the 2 bit "you'll never catch me" types who seem to think that you are totally capable of driving safely while you're on your mobile phone, good luck.

That is just so wrong and for the idiot who posted later to say it was the partly motorcyclists fault for riding his bike rather than being in a car just goes to reinforce the levels of lunacy we get on this forum at times!!

How the hell can anbody drive a manual car one handed with any degree of safety, it only leaves one hand to hold the wheel so which hand changes gear and does the indicating?? Having said that there are plenty of lazy motorists out there who never bother to indicate anyway.

A road vehicle in itself, if properly maintained and used properly is not inherently dangerous, neither is a gun but if the same level of death and destruction was caused annually by people using guns dangerously there would be an absolute outcry.

How anybody who has killed another person by illegally operating a phone while driving can avoid a mandatory prison sentence is beyond a joke!! I doubt many drunk drivers get away with it, the outcome for their victim is the same in both instances.

Read it again thicko nowhere did I say it was the bikers fault I suggested he might have survived if he had been in a car.Any problems with the big words give me a shout

Geordie

driving using one hand is not distracting

hands free kits need the left hand to control them. Its illegal to use mobile phones it should also apply to hands free kits

It can't be anything other surely? How does one change gear if driving a manual car, or operate the indicators?

A poorly controlled vehicle is a dangerous thing, I've no issue whatsoever with anybody who chooses to do dangerous things for their own excitement but only if it doesn't directly and seriously endanger others.

There is never a time when using a hand held mobile phone in a vehicle is necessary with the inexpensive equipment available today. Still plenty that can go wrong even when you are paying full attention while on the road.

That is just so wrong and for the idiot who posted later to say it was the partly motorcyclists fault for riding his bike rather than being in a car just goes to reinforce the levels of lunacy we get on this forum at times!!

How the hell can anbody drive a manual car one handed with any degree of safety, it only leaves one hand to hold the wheel so which hand changes gear and does the indicating?? Having said that there are plenty of lazy motorists out there who never bother to indicate anyway.

A road vehicle in itself, if properly maintained and used properly is not inherently dangerous, neither is a gun but if the same level of death and destruction was caused annually by people using guns dangerously there would be an absolute outcry.

How anybody who has killed another person by illegally operating a phone while driving can avoid a mandatory prison sentence is beyond a joke!! I doubt many drunk drivers get away with it, the outcome for their victim is the same in both instances.

Read it again thicko nowhere did I say it was the bikers fault I suggested he might have survived if he had been in a car.Any problems with the big words give me a shout

Geordie

A wonderful mis-use of the quote facility on this forum!

Fancy calling Old Rooster a Thicko! :lol:

Geordie

"With all due respect to your mate and his family perhaps if he was not riding a motorbike he would have survived the accident.He made a conscious decision to ride a machine that he knew if he had only a minor accident it was likely to kill him so perhaps in this day and age do we need motorbikes on the road."

From your original post, I'm not sure how you can surmise that the rider would have survived had he not been riding a motorbike, unless of course he hadn't been there at all? Perhaps that is what you meant??

I'm not sure why thousands of people should lose the right to ride legal motorcycles just so that a minority of arrogant morons can continue to juggle mobile phones while they should be concentrating on driving?

The main thing we don't need on the road in this day and age are people not in control of their vehicles..............................and of course those darn horses LOL

• 1 month later...

I got rear ended a couple of years ago.... sat waiting to turn right and hit at about 60 MPH .....bloke was not on his phone... just not looking and very old....

Personally think it's just a cash cow maker

Wooooah, you'll set them off again :lol:

Retest at 70 anyone?

To update this, I did get offered a course!! £79 for 3 half hour course. No points or fine. Result.

Now do I need to tell my insurance???

Assume I don't need to put it down on renewal?

Not 100% in the case re mobile phones, but if it was a speeding offence then yes you should inform the insurance company. Just because you do the course you have still committed the offence. This info was directly from my insurance company after I renewed my insurance, my wife was caught speeding and I asked about the offence and her taking the course before she was put on my policy as named driver. If it had increased my payment she would have been using the bus ;-)

FYI

It is an offence to use a handheld mobile phone or interactive communications device. However, there is an exemption for two-way radios;

(i) for the purpose of transmitting and receiving spoken messages; and
(ii) operates on any frequency other than 880 MHz to 915 MHz, 925 MHz to 960 MHz, 1710 MHz to 1785 MHz, 1805 MHz to 1880 MHz, 1900 MHz to 1980 MHz or 2110 MHz to 2170 MHz.

As far as i'm aware, you could also get done for smoking and even using hands free - driving without due care and attention.

It's a debate that will go on and on. It must surely be accepted that some drivers will be capable of driving whilst chatting away on their phone which they are holding without killing or maiming someone. The reason for the legislation is that most can't. Research by TRL demonstrated a similar level of driving as being at the drink-drive limit (another debate entirely).

The reason it was made a specific offence was not in itself to widen the parameters of where you could be prosecuted for it. It had been identified as a regular factor in fatal and serious collisions. The legislation was introduced to allow it to be dealt with before the collision occurred or a level of driving was demonstrated which would amount to careless.

Hate to break it to all you chaps but £60 fixed penalties have not existed for some months. It is now £100!!