Been naughty

parapilot

My cousin was knocked off his motor bike by a chinese bloke who by all accounts was a terrible driver.

Alas, we don't appear to have banned Chinese people from driving or indeed terrible drivers.

The issue is how do you quantify such a thing? A valid licence and we must be viewed as equals. Sometimes I question the skills of other drivers (unable to park in a simple spot, stopping and waving people past on a blind brow, failing to give way on a roundabout, overtaking coming up to lights, traveling faster than their required stopping distance, the list is very long) but who hasn't done something dumb or had an off day? Watching some others drive is as good a reason as any to become a better driver yourself.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Nokia phone and Bluetooth earpiece (£11.99) allows me to receive spoken texts and speak a reply - so no excuse for texting on the move. Phone calls need only a single button-press on the earpiece

The law may be irrational, but it is the law, so why attract points and a fine when the solution is so cheap

Edited by amateur

LIttle off track but on the topic of those naughty driver courses, I have to say that I did one and went in open minded and actually really enjoyed it.

I found that it was a good lesson to be taught with pictorial evidence and lots of anecdotes and finding out more about myself etc...

Sometimes I think now days how many lives I endangered being an idiot rushing to places in a car and what a hypocrite I was when I moaned about people like me when I got knocked off my motorbike.

Hands free phone is still a distraction, but is less of a distraction than holding it to your head too.

My mate Gavin would have to disagree with most people about holding a phone to your ear and having a conversation while driving.

Well I say he would disagree with you but unfortunately he can't

Gavin was on his way to work on his motorbike and was travelling down a long hill,unfortunately half way down this hill there is a side road,and on that morning there was an idiot in a car with the phone held in one hand up to his ear having a conversation,he was so engrossed in the conversation that he hardly slowed for the junction and pulled out onto the hill.

Gavin never stood a chance ,he couldn't drop the bike he was to close ,he hit the car and got launched over it landing on the road.

Gavin didn't die straight away,he had massive internal injuries both his legs and arms were broken and he was in a coma,after 3 days they tried to stop his brain from swelling but failed and sadly he died.

Gavin left behind his wife and his 4 year old son.

The driver at court admitted he was engrossed in a conversation with his wife about what they were going to have for dinner that night.

Gavin was one if those people that everyone liked,his funeral was huge bikers came from everywhere.

Holding a phone to your ear and having a conversation,why do it, is it that important,if you have to use hands free it is slightly less distracting than holding the phone,but think about it, is the call that important.

Hi welsh1

With all due respect to your mate and his family perhaps if he was not riding a motorbike he would have survived the accident.He made a conscious decision to ride a machine that he knew if he had only a minor accident it was likely to kill him so perhaps in this day and age do we need motorbikes on the road.(Playing devil's advocate.) I have ridden bikes since I was 14 legally and illegally am now 57 but when my daughter said she wanted a moped at 16 her argument was that I had always had bikes. I lost the argument she got a moped and every time she went out on it I was a gibbering idiot, eventually the phone call came, a car had hit her head on, she went over the roof of the car and miraculously she had only minor injuries.But I made sure she never had another one my guts couldn't stand it.I kept mine for another 10 years or so but increasingly people in cars kept trying to kill me so I sold it.Even now when the sun comes out I get the urge to buy another one.I have probably come off more bikes than the average rider I was in the white helmets in the 70s and falling off was a daily occurrence in the beginning.So everyone with a bike, ride safe and treat every other road user like they are trying to kill you.Can you talk and drive safely, of course you can we have done it for over 100 years, having a bit of plastic next to your ear shouldn't make any difference but to be on the safe side you have to concentrate a bit more on being safe

Geordie

PS I do have a hands free kit as part of my TomTom which links up with my phone as soon as I get into the car

Edited by geordieh

Well, yes you do.

That is the biggest cop out ever.

How is that a cop out? a driver admitted he was engrossed in a conversation while on a mobile phone and because of that he caused the death of another person.

So there you have it you can be distracted while holding a mobile phone to your ear and having a conversation.

As for a cb radio,i am guessing it is not banned because you do not have to dial a number,you cannot text on it, the channel is always open,you cannot have a two way conversation as only one side can talk at a time so it doesn't engross you like a mobile does,i believe you can still be done for careless driving if you are using a cb radio,and if you cause an accident driving without due care and attention.

There is a difference between having a hands free unit and using it,where you have two hands free to control your vehicle and are free to look around,and the action of holding a mobile phone to your ear and driving with one hand,you then only have one hand to control your vehicle and looking around becomes restricted.

Go down to a track one day and get some cones set out so you have to change gear at least twice while weaving in and out of the cones,do it as you would normally drive, and then do it holding a phone to your ear while chatting to your mate,bet it's not as simple as you might think.

There is simply no excuse to hold a phone to your ear and drive one handed while having a conversation,but saying that there is provision in the law that you may use a hand held mobile phone in certain circumstances,but these are in extreme situations.

If I do get a course do I need to put it on my renewals???

No you dont need to declare it.I did a driving course after being caught speeding and asked the chap running it the same question.

As for using a mobile while driving-i dont.It drives my company nuts because the rare occasion they ring,i dont anwser and just use the excuse im driving if they email me later asking why i didnt pick up.

However,sometimes im not driving,but i still ignore the phone anyway. :whistling:

Having been in the casualty reduction business, I have to disagree with most - doing anything whilst driving is distracting to the point that the primary task is compromised. There are degrees, naturally. The driving situation you are in, motorway, non motorway (speed of reaction required). Simple short messages, even these can be ditrsacting. How do you legislate for one and not the other ? Hands - free and ban anything else. I have seen loss of control by morons unable to hold a phone and drive with one hand. Changing gear and steering whilst talking is a bit challenging.

Its easy to forget that because you are being selfishly distracted, you are putting the life of others at risk and that is normally called either culpable homicide or murder/manslaughter.

Its a PHONE CALL.

Pull over, ring back later, press the off button but best of all get a hands-free kit.

As driving is higher speed/ more complex decision- making, ALL attention should be on the road. I have seen a son lose his mother (same car and mobile) because she wanted to advise she would be home a little late - sadly, it was a lot late.

Guys, you really need to get a grip - it really is an accident waiting to happen.

I would ban them entirely, hands -free as well to save just one life lost unnecessarily - it might be your wife/ child but if its someone else's that doesn't matter does it ???

£60 quid, luckiest outcome and the least costly you possibly expect.

How right you are!

If I had a pound coin for every time I followed a car that speeded up slowed down, crossed the central while line and was just generally being driven erratically and then saw that the driver was on their mobile phone, then I would be a wealthy man.

It is illegal to use a hand held mobile whilst driving because it is downright dangerous - it is nothing to do with raising money for the Government, the police or anyone else. It is supposed to be a deterrent to idiots who think they are God's gift to motoring but are in fact a danger to themselves and more importantly to others.

It was not so long ago that these "heroes" would make remarks like "a couple of pints does not affect my driving" or "I drive better after a drink [or three]" - drinking and driving is now rightly roundly condemned and so should the use of a hand held phone.

The driver did not go to jail,huge fine banned from driving and suspended sentence ,as you say admitted guilt, first offence,and the bloke was in his 60's.

That is just so wrong and for the idiot who posted later to say it was the partly motorcyclists fault for riding his bike rather than being in a car just goes to reinforce the levels of lunacy we get on this forum at times!!

How the hell can anbody drive a manual car one handed with any degree of safety, it only leaves one hand to hold the wheel so which hand changes gear and does the indicating?? Having said that there are plenty of lazy motorists out there who never bother to indicate anyway.

A road vehicle in itself, if properly maintained and used properly is not inherently dangerous, neither is a gun but if the same level of death and destruction was caused annually by people using guns dangerously there would be an absolute outcry.

How anybody who has killed another person by illegally operating a phone while driving can avoid a mandatory prison sentence is beyond a joke!! I doubt many drunk drivers get away with it, the outcome for their victim is the same in both instances.

How right you are!

If I had a pound coin for every time I followed a car that speeded up slowed down, crossed the central while line and was just generally being driven erratically and then saw that the driver was on their mobile phone, then I would be a wealthy man.

It is illegal to use a hand held mobile whilst driving because it is downright dangerous - it is nothing to do with raising money for the Government, the police or anyone else. It is supposed to be a deterrent to idiots who think they are God's gift to motoring but are in fact a danger to themselves and more importantly to others.

It was not so long ago that these "heroes" would make remarks like "a couple of pints does not affect my driving" or "I drive better after a drink [or three]" - drinking and driving is now rightly roundly condemned and so should the use of a hand held phone.

Exactly was I was going to say, I do 35k miles a year and I g'tee if I see that behaviour it's caused by someone driving with a phone stuck to their head.

Edited by keg

Is it illegal to receive oral stimulation whilst driving?

Only if it affects your driving........

On our way to Addenbrooks yesterday (son has cancer) white van man @close on 80 weaving about A11 - guess what?? Felt like stopping him and suggesting he follows us to A&E

Dumpling, sorry to hear about that diagnosis, Hope treatment etc has started and is working.

For those on the fence regarding safe or unsafe use of mobiles whilst driving I suggest you face a fully loaded HGV heading towards you on your side of the road, because the embryo of a drivers is busy looking down on his mobile.

Not a nice experience. And for £50 it is avoidable its a no brainer.

Simple solution is, just don't answer it when you're driving. That way you won't get caught. It seems that a lot of people are compelled to answer their phones wherever they are and whatever they're doing. If you think its worth risking the consequences to answer a call, then it could turn out expensive.

Totally agree

My Nokia phone and Bluetooth earpiece (£11.99) allows me to receive spoken texts and speak a reply - so no excuse for texting on the move. Phone calls need only a single button-press on the earpiece

The law may be irrational, but it is the law, so why attract points and a fine when the solution is so cheap

My 'leave it in the boot' routine works well too.

What a sad society we have become when we find it impossible to live without a bloody phone.

Edited by Westley