what can i hunt with this air rifle?

Mc-

Hello

Im looking at getting a weihrauch hw99 and am pretty new to air rifles in general, i have been looking at air rifles for a long time looking at different ones and the hw99 is what i am set on. at first i will mainly be doing plinking but would eventually like to do some basic hunting. what would i be able to hunt with this air rifle? is it powerful enough?

thanks in advance :)

Yes, as long as the gun is making over 10 ft lb you should be able to hunt with it.

Now are you capable of hunting with it? That is the question. What is needed first is lots of practise on paper targets! When you can put 10 shots in a circle less than the size of a new 10p piece at a hunting range, say 25 yards or metres, then you are ready for hunting.

Edited by secretagentmole

Just start reading the posts on this site.

Read until you cant get any more information into your head.

Then ask some more questions.

Knowledge is king.

Alternatively write a post like you have and ask away. That's what forums are for!!!!

Another thing to think about is to read about how to stalk into what you are hunting, or how to wait and ambush them rather than waltzing along the hedgerow making a load of noise and not seeing anything to shoot (if rabbits).

I remember back to my first time and was really suprised at how difficult it was to get within range (then read forums here) - I was used to shooting feral birds stuck inside buildings as a pest controller not wild animals in their environment.

Also practise shots from positions that you would likely use in the field, i.e on sticks, or kneeling, or bipod etc... if you shoot targets from a table only you may get a shock when taking shots in other situations.

If you are going to be shooting pigeons with an airgun, bear in mind trajectory when shooting at a angle and practise this.

(after my first time out and how I scared the rabbits away so easily, I went out without my gun and just took a digital camera and stalked in close to practise and watched them for a while, was worth while for me as when I came back with a gun next time I was much more calm and less addrenaline when taking the first shot).

I pick up my 99s .22 tomorrow can't wait to get my hands on it! :yahoo:

When I was looking to buy a rifle I sifted through all the forums to find the best one for me and decided on the 99 in the end. I know its slightly off topic but I found the following useful in deciding calibre (it didn't say in your original post) and I found the following threads useful:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?699437-How-good-is-the-177-hw99s-compared-to-the-22

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?699770-The-HW99s-is-utterly-fab-says-a-bloke

Hope this is useful,

Pocko,

P.S, sorry for quoting other forums threads guys! :blush:

Welcome to the world of PW, and particularly the airgunning bit. The way the law works is you have a 12ft/lb limit before you need to have a license. guns near to the 12 ft/lb are classed as 'full power', which I believe the HW99 is. So, you will be able to hunt any legal airgun quarry with it. Check the list on the Basc link in the pinned post of Air gun Code of Practice, but it includes rats, rabbits and pigeons.

The most important thing is you! if you're accurate enough, your gun will do the job. Good to see you've got the priorities right and are going to kill some targets before anything with a pulse! If you're lucky enough to have a club near you, get along to it. It's not just about the chance to shoot, it's the opportunity to talk and listen to experienced members who can help you out with any questions. Oh and ask anything you like on here! we're a friendly bunch, just don't ask Evo which is the best pellet for your gun; he might throw something at you :) (on that subject, try a few different sorts, but a good quality domed pellet would be best. H&N Field Target Trophy, Air Arms Diabolo Field, JSB Exacts should give you a good start)

Hope that helps

ATB

Chris

Hours of vids on YOUTUBE Hunting with an Air Rifle.

Fieldsports Britain Air heads loads of good Advice.

Lots of DVDs on Ebay cheap hunting with air rifles.

Hours of reading old posts on here from hunter shooters.

Field craft. Shot placement. Being accurate. Are the main objectives.

Has for Air Rifle Quarry look at. www.f4bscale.worldonline.co.uk Air Rifle pest control.

As regards accuracy in hunting it not how tight you can place a group of pellets together as you only get one shot the subsequent nine mean nothing. What you must be able to do is visually range the shot, compensate for wind drift and trajectory and place that one shot in the correct place for a clean kill. A rifle of 10-12 ft lb can kill legal quarry up to the size of a rabbit if shot placement is correct, that is not the "head" its the brain or the heart, lungs or spinal cord depending on quarry and its position presented.

Used at up to 35-40 yards in the right hands it is humane and effective but it takes time and practice to do that and also the humility to except when such a thing is not possible under the prevailing conditions / stance / how you feel that day.

Remember no quarry is free for all to shoot unless they have the permission of the landowner / sporting rights owner and comply with the terms of law covering that quarry like the open general licence on pest birds, seasons of game and duck ( in the opinion of many myself included game and wildfowl should not be shot with airguns ) The terms "sitting duck" an "sporting shot" sum that up.

Personally speaking I shoot only a few rabbits with airgun each year now as I think there are better and more humane tools for the job and mainly restrict their use to Feral pigeons in barns and Rats these days for which they are Ideal in terms of effective range and minimum damage to buildings.

What you can have is a heap of cheap and fun shooting with them 500 .22 rf cost me about £60, the cheapest centrefire I can reload myself cost me £140 for the same yet a tin of 500 pellets cost about £10 so that's a lot of shooting for very little cash, noise or difficult safety considerations. buttercups on the lawn, Extra strong mints, fired shotgun cases. All ideal to hone those skills and fill a few hours

As regards accuracy in hunting it not how tight you can place a group of pellets together as you only get one shot the subsequent nine mean nothing. What you must be able to do is visually range the shot, compensate for wind drift and trajectory and place that one shot in the correct place for a clean kill. A rifle of 10-12 ft lb can kill legal quarry up to the size of a rabbit if shot placement is correct, that is not the "head" its the brain or the heart, lungs or spinal cord depending on quarry and its position presented.

Used at up to 35-40 yards in the right hands it is humane and effective but it takes time and practice to do that and also the humility to except when such a thing is not possible under the prevailing conditions / stance / how you feel that day.

Remember no quarry is free for all to shoot unless they have the permission of the landowner / sporting rights owner and comply with the terms of law covering that quarry like the open general licence on pest birds, seasons of game and duck ( in the opinion of many myself included game and wildfowl should not be shot with airguns ) The terms "sitting duck" an "sporting shot" sum that up.

Personally speaking I shoot only a few rabbits with airgun each year now as I think there are better and more humane tools for the job and mainly restrict their use to Feral pigeons in barns and Rats these days for which they are Ideal in terms of effective range and minimum damage to buildings.

What you can have is a heap of cheap and fun shooting with them 500 .22 rf cost me about £60, the cheapest centrefire I can reload myself cost me £140 for the same yet a tin of 500 pellets cost about £10 so that's a lot of shooting for very little cash, noise or difficult safety considerations. buttercups on the lawn, Extra strong mints, fired shotgun cases. All ideal to hone those skills and fill a few hours

I recently found an old bell that I hung on a small post in front of a few layer thick bit of carpet which sounds awesome when struck with an airgun pellet!

Sound advice too Kent.

I have a tin of each and they both seem the same tbh! aside from the slight price difference

Didn't even realise the old trick of putting another name on it and bumping up the price applied to air pellets!

They are the same!

Seems webley are making a habit of it! First the air rifle made by hatsan now these!